Child Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Their eyes tell silent stories.
Stories that would shock even the darkest of hearts.
These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of.
They’ve seen killing and death, and pain and suffering to extents that can be hard to imagine.
Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight.
Emotionless eyes are being forced to kill in gruesome ways.
Eyes that seem to have run out of tears, because crying never helped.
Their sobs are unheard, their tears are unseen.
Children who are innocent are being ruined by men who see no hope in their government.
Men who are willing to take advantage of an irreplaceable innocence.
The eyes are deep brown.
A brown so deep you could get lost in it.
Eyes that catch attention for their beauty.
They silently tell of innocence lost and of silent tears cried.
These are the eyes of a child soldier.

WerewolfWriting said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 8:49 am
Hard and very descriptive. But the topic needed the roughness. Good job and well done for getting published!

Jakethesnake said...
I wish that I could come back and rate this 5 out of 5 everyday! However, I am grounded, so I am not even supposed to be on now. But great job!

DRAGONBADGERZ said...
A powerful emotional poem that makes my heart heavy with sadness. It shows the terror and grit that these people see every day.

ulitim@te said...
I really enjoyed to poem!! I find it funny that I have just completed a story on the same subject:) Honestly (I am not a poet) but I did like it! Especially the 'Eye that should be learning' part

VWordsmith This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
To be honest, it's fairly amateur. Although the topic is a powerful one, I would have liked it if you used a more atypical angle or more sophisticated diction.

mgraves This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Agreed.  I think this is a very powerful subject and one that merits more description.  Particularly in poems, showing is as important as telling.

Alexandrietteia replied...
True...better diction would be key here...overall very powerful and worthwhile though

Nick121 said...
nice very powerful

Kiyoko This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
 This is nice. I especially like "irreplaceable innocence" That's a good line. If you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate it if you would check out my work!

jen123 said...
this i can see when i read it...it tells a true story that most people can belive..i can understand the hurt and the aggresivness to this poem...this is a very sad poem but strong.

ellie315 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This seems kind of amateur. I like the idea of through their eyes, but it's kind of wordy and just sounds like any old poem by a teenager.

Katie16 replied...
I kind of agree with you. I also don't like the fact that you said "men who see no hope in their goverment." Are you talking about the Military?

starstruck15 said...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 10:16 am
It breaks my heart, but in the way it's meant too..

Lonewolf1213 said...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 9:18 am
This is brilliant! So glad you got published; this is one of the best pieces I've read! Amazing job.

jhduysdg said...
Jan. 7, 2011 at 10:44 am

This is rlly sadd and touching, and its amazingly good. 

dfadF said...
Jan. 7, 2011 at 10:43 am
omg that was soo good but really sad i like almost cried

BrendansLeadingLady said...
Il y a tres symathique.

Icy96 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is so true and sad. I can't help but always keep these kids in mind any time I take something for granted. In America, we have so much just without asking for it. These kids see none of that, couldn't even begin to imagine the easy, lavish-by-comparison lifestyle that we live. I'm glad someone finally adressed this issue in a way that recieves the proper amount of attention. Thank you, keep writing.

skoppy355 said...
Wow, I'm really impressed.  Good poem addressing a real issue.

katiikat said...
This is beautiful, and sadly true