Child Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Their eyes tell silent stories.
Stories that would shock even the darkest of hearts.
These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of.
They’ve seen killing and death, and pain and suffering to extents that can be hard to imagine.
Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight.
Emotionless eyes are being forced to kill in gruesome ways.
Eyes that seem to have run out of tears, because crying never helped.
Their sobs are unheard, their tears are unseen.
Children who are innocent are being ruined by men who see no hope in their government.
Men who are willing to take advantage of an irreplaceable innocence.
The eyes are deep brown.
A brown so deep you could get lost in it.
Eyes that catch attention for their beauty.
They silently tell of innocence lost and of silent tears cried.
These are the eyes of a child soldier.

Ferrissbuellerdo said...
today at 6:27 pm
It makes you really think about what they are going through.

M. said...
Feb. 20 at 11:49 am
love it. it is so touching. this is the best piece ever

GeorgiaLazThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 26 at 8:17 pm
Amazing. Writing like this is so important

pointlesswriter said...
Jan. 15 at 1:48 pm
Wow. Simply remarkable, I am a new user o this website but upon reading this poem I feel compelled to start my own piece right away. This poem really capture the true emotion of these children that others take for granted. Well done.

Ayah said...
Jan. 6 at 7:28 pm
This was a really deep and strong poem. It reminded me of the children in Palestine and Syria that are lost and alone. It makes me sad because no one is helping them and we are too busy being greedy. We take our blessed life, education, and environment for granted and we should be more thankful that we are not in that position. And those children are real survivors and real soldiers.

AnyuhhhhThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 17, 2014 at 11:16 am
This was a really touching poem, it was amazing. It really makes me sad because we take so much for granted when they want something as little as a toy car when we expect more. I loved this piece because it contained such detail, although I would suggest a little better word choice. This was a deep thinking poem and you have great potential!!

MissEmilyDickinsonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 13, 2014 at 11:31 am
Wow. Your poem hit me. Your poem is really vivid and powerful. You have such a talent and greatness in you, I hope you know that! I'm glad this was published, because you and your poem deserve it! Congrats! Thank you for sharing this!

wildsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Most people take things for granted. but the people who think about  other and the more important things rather than when someone is getting a phone or somthing, those people that think about the sad things like in this poem can teach alot of other people. well done

AbigailGilgalThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I for real just started crying. This is an amazing piece. Guys, lets do something about this. I know I will definatly remember to pray for these childen. Thank you so much for this touching poem.

TakeAGuessKataraThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
I agree completley with, AbigailGilgal

White-Rabbit said...
I thought this was an extremely beautiful & emotional piece. Thank you for sharing a rare perspective to look through.

francheskas said...
Really meaningful and  true. Although, I have to admit, I'm the type of person who enjoys metaphors. I suggest describing the pain of the children as something more. Also, describe more about what is going on in their heads. Good job though !

Bryanna252Munoz said...
Deffidently one of my favorites. The author did an amazing job deffining the effection for this peice of poetry.

Bryanna252Munoz replied...
Affection**

Terry_A said...
This poem made me realize the reality going on in some parts of the world. I feel like making a difference now. Anyways, good poem!

MariaNMai said...
Sept. 11, 2013 at 10:00 am
I read the first line and I got goose bumps. This poem tells the ugly truth of this world. How some kids have to suffer all the time. It made me think how ridiculous some of us can sometimes be, we complain about our homework and some even because they didn’t get the newest Iphone. It’s sad to think that what this poem tells is true but not from a book or a movie. Those innocent kids have had to face more horrible things than I will probably have to face my entire life.  It made... (more »)

chocolatina This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow...all this time we write about how we feel, our experiences, and our memories. But what a daring step to consider another viewpoint, especially one like this. Well done!

Ghoshy said...
I think this poem would be better as a short story. However, the descriptions really created a sad picture in my mind.

Origami_Giraffe said...
  I'm sorry to say this, but this really does not sound like a poem. It sounds like a paragraph you decided to space out and attempt to pass as free verse. One of the main points of poetry is that it's a way to treat language like a toy rather than a tool. This is the format where you're allowed to ignore the normal rules of writing, but not only do you not bother to get creative with the writing, you treat the rules like they're still necessary. Each 1-3 lines is a comple... (more »)

_Anomaly_ replied...
This is the best critique ever.