Child Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Their eyes tell silent stories.
Stories that would shock even the darkest of hearts.
These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of.
They’ve seen killing and death, and pain and suffering to extents that can be hard to imagine.
Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight.
Emotionless eyes are being forced to kill in gruesome ways.
Eyes that seem to have run out of tears, because crying never helped.
Their sobs are unheard, their tears are unseen.
Children who are innocent are being ruined by men who see no hope in their government.
Men who are willing to take advantage of an irreplaceable innocence.
The eyes are deep brown.
A brown so deep you could get lost in it.
Eyes that catch attention for their beauty.
They silently tell of innocence lost and of silent tears cried.
These are the eyes of a child soldier.

markelly said...
today at 8:38 am
The phrase “ Their sobs are unheard, their tears are unseen”, is such a powerful line. That line relates to me because I understand how it feels to be hurt, and to be unheard or unseen. This line is one of the most dominant lines in the poem and is true about how many people including myself feel. This is a great poem, and is touching.

terialexander said...
today at 8:34 am
I admire the line “Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight.” It brings attention to how much we take for granted when there are children our age fighting for their lives.

AndreB said...
yesterday at 12:59 pm
I love this peace it is honest about children who are soldiers. When you said “Men who are willing to take advantage of an irreplaceable innocence” made me think about it. I thought how that is true and Man will use a child and take advantage of them.

KingBrackThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
yesterday at 11:57 am
“These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of” I agree with this line because it verbalizes that child soldiers shouldn’t be experiencing killing at a young age.

2JWARD said...
yesterday at 10:09 am
The phrase “Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight” is such a great line. The poem is touching! It makes you reflect upon the struggles of other humans. It captures the emotions of the child soldiers!

2JWARD said...
yesterday at 10:00 am
In today’s classes, we rarely focus on Africa's history. “If we stand tall it is because we stand on the backs of those who came before us.” That line tells us that before us were individuals that were Native Americans, slaves, immigrants and more. This piece of work should be read by numerous people. I agree with this poem as our ancestors are usually forgotten.

Nov. 3 at 10:29 pm
“These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of” I am intruded by this line because it is one of the best lines and it verbalizes that the child soldiers shouldn’t be experiencing killing at a young age.

claynique said...
Nov. 3 at 8:34 pm
The phrase “Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight” is such a powerful line. That line is compelling to me because we as humans take our privileges for granted, while there’s little children out in the world that’s unsure where their next meal will come from. This poem was so touching. Keep up the good work!

Hendog said...
Nov. 3 at 12:05 pm
"Their eyes tell silent stories." I am intrigued by this line, and I feel that this is one of your strongest lines

CorbenC.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 17 at 5:12 pm
To all of the children whom have died in vain for some person's malicious intentions and screwed up ideals: "Requiescat In Pace"...

the12yearold said...
Apr. 12 at 10:30 am
I'm so happy this has been published!!I feel their pain and its making people so aware. You're so talented, I'm going to be reading everything you've done. I write such things and I when I'm 13, I'm 12 now and turning 13 in July, I will publish them. When I do please read them, everyone!!!

passion_poet19 said...
Apr. 6 at 10:10 am
this really speaks to me!!

Ferrissbuellerdo said...
Feb. 25 at 6:27 pm
It makes you really think about what they are going through.

M. said...
Feb. 20 at 11:49 am
love it. it is so touching. this is the best piece ever

GeorgiaLaz said...
Jan. 26 at 8:17 pm
Amazing. Writing like this is so important

pointlesswriter said...
Jan. 15 at 1:48 pm
Wow. Simply remarkable, I am a new user o this website but upon reading this poem I feel compelled to start my own piece right away. This poem really capture the true emotion of these children that others take for granted. Well done.

Ayah said...
Jan. 6 at 7:28 pm
This was a really deep and strong poem. It reminded me of the children in Palestine and Syria that are lost and alone. It makes me sad because no one is helping them and we are too busy being greedy. We take our blessed life, education, and environment for granted and we should be more thankful that we are not in that position. And those children are real survivors and real soldiers.

Anyuhhhh said...
Nov. 17, 2014 at 11:16 am
This was a really touching poem, it was amazing. It really makes me sad because we take so much for granted when they want something as little as a toy car when we expect more. I loved this piece because it contained such detail, although I would suggest a little better word choice. This was a deep thinking poem and you have great potential!!

MissEmilyDickinsonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 13, 2014 at 11:31 am
Wow. Your poem hit me. Your poem is really vivid and powerful. You have such a talent and greatness in you, I hope you know that! I'm glad this was published, because you and your poem deserve it! Congrats! Thank you for sharing this!

wildsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Most people take things for granted. but the people who think about  other and the more important things rather than when someone is getting a phone or somthing, those people that think about the sad things like in this poem can teach alot of other people. well done