Had the Heart A Certain Language This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Had the heart a certain language
I’d learn to speak the same
To translate joy, and analyze
The dialect—of shame
Orators would speculate
“What spirit fills his lungs?”
Then seal their lips in honor of
The tenderest of tongues

If history was but a hound
I’d have him at my heel
To fetch fish caught on hooks of time
On lines which never reel
When I made meals of memory
I’d let him have the crumbs
Then take him hunting in pursuit
Of moments yet to come

Were that gladness was a bluebird
I’d hold it to my chest
Or gather twigs beneath the dew
To build for it a nest
How sweet to hear its homely tune!
To hear its vocals roll!
I’d try to tempt the flighty bird
To perch within my soul

Could one condense the Universe
I’d keep it in a tome
What fields of deepest knowledge
My mind would ever roam!
I’d contemplate infinity
Find wisdom where it’s stored
In the pages which resemble
The journal of the Lord

If love produced a blossom
I’d take it in my palm
What a blessing, the bright color!
How soothing, such a balm!
I’d keep a petal for my own
The rest, drop from my hands
For such a flower would multiply
And populate the lands

DreamWeaverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 3, 2013 at 1:27 am
Your poetry is truly beautiful. It's the kind of writing that I would like to create. It's inspirational. Amazing job. 

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:11 am
THis one dragged me to read it. As soon as I read the title I knew I had to read it and it surpassed all my expectations, it was even better than I'd imagined it would be...This one is definitely going into my favs!!  And the last stanza : I adore it!! WOW just open-eyes, open-mouthed, slack-jawed WOW...

An-eloquent-leafThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I must say, this poem particularly struck me, though I'm not quite sure why. I loved your metaphors, especially history/hound and love/blossom. I suppose I've been thinking about both lately.

Currently I'm taking an AP Modern Euro course, which I find very interesting, and with Valentine's Day just a couple days ago (and with especially my English teacher making a big fuss of it, having everyone "define Love" as an assignment), I've been thinking about Love (particularly Love versus L... (more »)

KestrelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:00 am
There are three types of people in my mind when i read this poem: ones who know words and abuse them uselessly, those who know words and rearrange them the form half-hearted thoughts with some success, and then those who know words, enjoy words, and understand how to unlock words to show passion and elegance. You are the third type. 

Aduke9 said...
I want to be like you when I grow up. You're work is incredible.

A_shy_dove said...
Hello Raven... I always have a shortage of words to praise your works because I just forget everything else to be drowned in the words of your works... They are just incredible...

RedFeather said...
Dec. 9, 2011 at 8:20 am
"Had the heart a certain language/ I'd learn to speak the same." stands out the most to me. I don't know why. Had the heart a certain language, I'd say that you've mastered it. Your poems are so deep and moving. I'd thought that my work was good, but now I see that I need a lot of work if I want to get there. Compared to all this, mine is like a flaslight to your sun.

Rayne said...
Deep. I love the line "When I made meals of memory/ I'd let him have the crumbs/ Then take him hunting in pursuit/ Of moments yet to come"

Aderes47 said...
It's wonderful! :)

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

(Blushing)

savetheplanet said...
Extremely thought-provoking, I shall have to read it again at another time and think on it.  But wonderful all the same :)

Remember to get back to me after thinking on it. :)

savetheplanet replied...
Although it took me rather a long time to get back to you, I've read it again and think that at least some of it, I understand. I refuse to try to understand it all, for that would defeat the purpose. It is not written plainly, that it why it's poetry and not prose. But if gladness was indeed a bluebird, and it wore the sea on it's back, I'd say you soul rumbles with tsunamis and the storms of whimsical beauty.

KestrelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:53 am
I think that's a very good way to put it, haha. this is an amazing poem, Raven, I think it's one of your best. 

IamtheshyStargirl said...

I love the last bit Raven. 

How did the coffeeshop like it?

Alas, I wrote this prior to the coffeehouse, not knowing that I would be too sick to be there that day. :(

Some agent of God delivered to me a beautiful message in the mail today, and I'm just about to respond to it, but I intended to ask you: from whence comes the image of the boy playing with the rusty-orange ball?

IamtheshyStargirl replied...

I seem to remember something of this. Huh.

There was only one day on which you could go?

I was out in my field, enjoying the sunset and thinking about dancing. I ended up watching a boy in the yard on the other side of the block play basketball. Only recently did I finish and title it.

Remember something of what?

Yes, it was an event; not a real coffeehouse.

I'll tell you why I asked, then...

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
I seem to remember you telling me about not reading a poem at a coffeehouse, or something like that... 

Boosflash This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 22, 2011 at 9:38 am
Ay cap'ain, u really get down. That theres what they call thuggin. You go extra hard.