Birds and Cages and Fire This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

A master asked his songbird if it dreamt
of open sky
It said “Lord, it created me, so I pray you
let me fly”
So, he opened the nearest window
And took hold of the feathery thing
And flung into the air a bird
With a pair of branded wings

The angels are fainting and they're falling from above
The lovers are frowning, 'cause they're
running out of love
Though Autumn's leaves are colored
They're beginning to die
And the poems are still breathing
But they're beginning to die

So our bird flew past falling angels, flew past rising men
Flew past crows who laughed and said that gladness is a sin
It dropped feathers into canyons
Dropped tears into the sea
Pondering liberation
And immortality

The thinkers think in circles, and they're rolling down the hills
The writers stab their parchment with the points of sharpened quills
Our dreams are never distant
Till they reach the world's end
And we have to hitch a ride to meet them
On the sunbeams or the wind

Blessings will blossom and curses will adapt
So our feathered hero flew, and then
was trapped
Its master, sipping centuries
Watched the little body age
Saying “you foolish creature,
Was it really I who wrought your cage?”

But we never could surrender
So let's defend the helpless bird!
On our lips, may there be a confession
In our hearts, the sacred Word
May we breathe the air which bore us
And wear our only Name
And though the odds are against it,
Fight for the flame!

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 23 at 8:25 am:
I've run out of words to say what it is like nor do I feel after reading these by you, that I am even worthy enough to do so so I shall merely say what it made me feel like, first a dawn of little understanding, could not hope to grasp it all,  then a deep sadness and then some relief and joy...  

An-eloquent-leafThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 16 at 10:06 pm:
Well, it certainly has been a while since I last read any of your poetry—perhaps a bit too long. I hope you've been doing well, Raven. Anyway, once again, a great poem. As for your freedom comment in your note (well, I'm sure you've contemplated this already, considering it's almost been two years), but perhaps you had been thinking on it because, well, you were growing older. Thoughts of freedom tend to become more frequent as you get into your older teenage years and prepare to leave the nest...

An-eloquent-leafThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 16 at 10:07 pm :
Also, congrats on getting published!

TheIdeaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 1 at 12:27 pm:
I wrote the once, I feel its relevant: We are all flames, walking around on this street. Our bodies bonds are so neat I cannot stare at my feet without feeling the flame And we join And all our bonds with allign Well start a fire this time

In_Love_with_WritingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 7 at 9:11 pm:
Nice job writing this! This was really well-written! Can you comment and rate some of my work?

tayrobinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 27, 2012 at 7:11 am:
This was amazing! Such a good read, and the flow of the whole poem was so pleasant. Good work :)

IamtheshyStargirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 10, 2012 at 5:40 pm:

Published! :D 

I am happy in my friend's recognition, however seemingly insignificant that recognition might be, a mere blip on the long lifetime of a raven. <3

Rayne said...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 12:13 am:

When I read this, I thought of hope.

It would be so sad if poems died.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 30, 2011 at 6:20 pm :

Poems may die as easily as people die.

But at their deepest level, both are everlasting.

savetheplanetThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 30, 2011 at 7:23 pm :
Things only truly die, when no one remembers them.

RedFeatherThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 9, 2011 at 8:28 am :
Yes, things like poems last on forever as long as they're remmebered. Given life by the love of the memories of others and the emotions outpoured in their words. But people die much more easily. Try to move a spider's carefully woven web from one place to another. It cannot stay together, and just like the silver strands break and fall to the wind, a person can easily be lost to the world, to others, and to themselves forever.

Dec. 9, 2011 at 7:52 pm :
That was beautifully described :D

The Silent Raven replied...
Jan. 21, 2012 at 1:02 pm :
There is One, I believe, who remembers all. Our souls are memories forever being reincarnated through the life of God, an ongoing story. No one is lost forever. Nothing is forgotten. (But everything is forgiven).

Jan. 21, 2012 at 1:07 pm :
An also beautiful thought. Have you written anything new lately?

Aderes47This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

This is like one of those beautiful folktales that we were read when you were little, except in my case they were blasphemy against God. 

I love this story, it gives so much hope and song! :) 

Oct. 15, 2011 at 6:06 pm :
That's one of the kindest compliments you could ever have given me, it really is. Folktales are beautiful, because of the way they travel through time from heart to heart. They had a large role in my early childhood. Why were they considered blasphemy in your case?

Aderes47This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 15, 2011 at 7:35 pm :
Remember what I said about Harry Potter at Islamic school? kinda the same thing. You know those stories about how the sun came to be and how bird was created. These stories were considered blasphemous because it went against God, they said. I still read them and loved them. My parents didn't care, my grandma gave me books of them.

Oct. 18, 2011 at 4:46 pm :

Oh yeah, that's really too bad. Thank goodness, though, that your family let you read them.

I bet, hearing all these stories about schools who censor books they consider blasphemous, God wishes they might lighten up a bit.

Dec. 9, 2011 at 8:30 am :
I absolutely agree. Our belief is that God created everything, so why would he create such wonderful stories if he didn't want people to read them?

Dec. 9, 2011 at 5:07 pm :
I like that! :