Angels in the Stone This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

The scholars have talked
Of discarding their minds
The soldiers are getting tipsy
And falling out of line
And don’t you dare hope
Because hope is a crime
Just put on the kettle
And evaporate time

The wind-up bird is not bird
Till it’s dreamt of open sky
A prophet’s not a martyr
Till he’s murdered by a lie
As God’s retelling history
On the surface of His eye
You’ll have to wait in the waiting room
And wait to live or die

The very hand which wrote the law
That men are born of dust
Has pinned us to our bodies
To sanctify the trust
But half a man is hollowness
And the other half is lust
In the balance is existence
The kind that’s kind of just

In the heavy heart of darkness
Every child is left alone
Until the sunrise reaches to their eyes
And the light of life is shown
The autumn farmer is harvesting
To eat of what he’s grown
And Michelangelo is chiseling
To free an angel from the stone

Though the doctrines be forgotten
Though the holy books are moldering
Hope still dreams of flying
And freedom is still smoldering
The stars are singing dirges
And fading into the void
The midnight moon is mourning
The Sun is overjoyed

So you who sit in prisons
And wrestle for your own
May half the truth be hidden
And the other half be known
As your spirit yearns for fresher air
As your body turns to bone
Scratch at the walls till you see the stars
Or the angels in the stone

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:56 am
WOW, this is amazing, your first poem that I read and I can already tell how amazing the next ones are going to be... You're VERY talented! Oh and being specific to this poem, though I liked every single thing from your ryhme to the word choice my fav part was "Scratch at the walls till you see the stars  or the anges in the stone." Beautiful!! 

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:57 am
    *angels

An-eloquent-leafThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
What another wonderful poem, Raven :). (Then again, should I be surprised?) I noticed the tone you set was painted quite different than you usually do, was that on purpose? And contrary to Vespa, I rather enjoyed the reptition of 'wait.'

IamtheshyStargirl replied...

Raven has asked me to thank you on his behalf, as he is having computer trouble, I very gladly oblige :)

Thank you Leafy for taking the time to read pretty much all of his poems and whatnot, and I thank you further for commenting, and in doing so, letting your heart be known. Your words and praise are so kind, so heartfelt, and so eloquent. 

An-eloquent-leafThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you, Stargirl, for acting as the messenger, and thank you, Raven, for writing and posting your poetry up here, as your poems have made my day many times :)

RedFeather said...
Dec. 9, 2011 at 8:39 am
Yet another piece of beautiful work by the Raven. When a person sees a raven, they don't think much of him - his plumage is dark and dull - he doesn't stand out at all. But the mind of a raven is something new indeed. The wisest of the birds knows more than they ever will. So he flies away on the breath of wind to the sky that set him free.

Lexie96 said...
I love this... you are very good at poetry and the metaphors are great! Do you think you could check out my poem Sowing Poppies sometime? Please?

savetheplanet said...
Dude how come you always get the editor's choice thing?  JEALOUS >.<

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 4, 2011 at 8:51 am

I bribe the editor, employing my unbelievable charm, as well as pretzels and assorted candy treats. The editor can't help but give in. ;)

Aderes47 replied...
LOL! Bravo! What can I say, your poems are genius! They are my treats and pleasures. :) I love how you used Michelanglo, especially that quote.

savetheplanet replied...
HAHA :d YOU NEED TO TEACH ME!!!  Ok, question unrelated to this, which of all the poems I've posted do you think is the best?

I loved you like the Autumn, I think.

I like the haikus, but it's difficult for even the best of poets to make a stunning haiku. I, myself, am not much of a haiku-ist.

savetheplanet replied...
Wow, really?  You liked the autumn one the best?  Not bad or anything, just surprising. :D  THANKS.

Well, I'm in love with Autumn as well, so...

More importantly, which one of yours do you like best?

savetheplanet replied...
I don't know ot be honest.  I like the more recent ones better than older ones, but I can choose just one that I like the most.  Perhaps Lucy. but then again, I'm just being biased because everyone else seemed to like it.  I really don't know.  I've been feeling that a lot lately, that I don't know anything.  I don't know what I'm feeling, what I'm good at, it's like everything about me has just slipped through my grasp.  And I can't seem to catch hold of it.

savetheplanet said...
You always have good imagery Raven, I loved the part about setting the angel free.  I could see it in my mind's eye. :D

Oct. 4, 2011 at 8:52 am
Thanks! I have always loved that quote from Michelangelo.

Aderes47 replied...
I have a movie for you two romantics thatI think you will absolutely adore. :) It's called Doctor Zhivago. It takes place during the Russian Revolution, during late 1910's, early 1920's. It an old movie, from 1965. It is the most romantic movie I've ever watched, it's so sad, it's full of heartbreak. It also has tons of action. And it was done so beautifully. On Thursday, it's flashback day at school(any decade) and I am dressing up like this movie! :)

Hooray for old movies!

I'll certainly try to see it soon.

You guys have flashback day?

savetheplanet replied...
LUCKY I want to flashback... D: