I Am Your Pawn

For you, I put on this smile
And pretend to be happy for a while
I put up with all of your s**t
Why do I even try at this?
In your game, I am your pawn
To yell at and tell what I did wrong
To maneuver where you please
You have deadened me, you see
So now it's my turn to strike a blow
Wanna see how far I'll go?
Maybe it'll be like before
Or maybe even something more
Maybe this time you will see
What it's like to feel like me

.Izzy. said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 9:56 am:
This is really sad, but really good. I loved the metaphor of you being a pawn, maybe you could add a few more references. Overall, very powerful and very well written

leafyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 8:40 am:
along with everyone else, i love this poem too :). the only thing i can suggest is like thethruthawaits94 said; to make the metaphor to chess stronger. but its still awesome, keep up the nice work!

redhairCatThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 12:17 am:
I like this one a lot. I really love poems when the "pawn" puts the king in check! Ha! This is great!

ohheyyyelli said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:58 pm:
I like the metaphor of you being the pawn!

samiasaskia24 replied...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 10:34 pm :
Very powerful!!!!!!

NinjaGirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:12 pm:
That's a lot of emotion packed into such a short poem!! I love the title and rhyme scheme. Great job. Five stars!

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 6:59 pm:
i really understand where your coming from and i can feel the emotion running throughout the poem. I think its really well written and i like the title, its different and the poem wasnt like what i expected it to be! i really like it 5/5 :) 

thetruthawaits94This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 6:34 pm:
i understand exactly what you are coming from here. I can feel your emotion thoughout the poem and i appreciate it a lot. Since you say I am your pawn, maybe you could change it a bit. Like whenever you say now it's my turn to strike a blow, instead you could say something like now it's my turn to pick my move, as a reference to chess. But you know I'm totally nit-picking just to find something to critique because this poem is very good as it is. That's just something t... (more »)