Adieu to Summer

The wind is blowing cooler than before
The sun is beginning to fade today
And hearts of children playing melt away

The Seasons switch from left to right quickly
And saddening days come when snow blows down
A terrible sight to see white blankets
As they do cover the whole troubled town

They snuff and sneer as shovels come to work
They pile snow onto the lawns and scowl
The cars get stuck and people shovel out

The snow came late so children are in school
No playing here; they have to stay and learn
A scream is not in sight; laughter has gone
No marks are left from sleds or boots in town

Alls quiet till’ the time of day has come
The bell will ring and children laugh and run
The fun is finally here for today

DreamingOutLoud This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 20, 2011 at 9:31 am:

Imagery is your talent. Good work. =)

I'd appreciate it if you checked out some of my work too...like 'Ive stopped being scared'..feedback will be welcomed! =)

Mgymnast This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 23, 2011 at 2:20 pm :
Thanks and i'll make sure to check out some of your work!! :)

OriginalCarbonation said...
Jan. 3, 2011 at 12:11 am:
very good word choice throughout. this creates a very good image in my head. good!

Jan. 4, 2011 at 11:46 pm :
Thanks!! :)

stubborn411 said...
This piece is very detailed. I like the way you explained the seasons as they switch from Summer to Winter. Very pretty

Jan. 6, 2011 at 11:22 pm :
I'm glad you liked it! :)

Brother12 said...
Pretty Good! Is this a haiku or some type of special writing type of poem??? It really flows in the beginning!! At the end it gets a little choppy, but is pretty good! I enjoyed reading this!! 

Jan. 4, 2011 at 11:47 pm :
i don't think so... I wrote it to be free verse it just happens to rhyme in a few spots!! :)

Kbuschan said...
nice i like your play on words and the description of the things going on to describem the changing season

Jan. 2, 2011 at 2:36 am :
Thanks! I appreciate the positive comment! :) :)

lizzy1002 said...
I loved it its long and well thought out ....i am going to save this page as  my faveorit ( i think i spelled that word wrong my bad ) keep up the good wrok beacues i want to read more of ur poems !

Jan. 2, 2011 at 2:37 am :
Thanks! And i was happy to here that you saved it as a favorite!! :):)

SpazyMicSpazSpaz said...
Dec. 31, 2010 at 11:25 am:
Very good. I like your use of Imagery here. I can picture the school, the town, and the children

Dec. 31, 2010 at 1:44 pm :
Thankyou everyone for the comments! It has really helped me to know what I need to improve on in my writing!! :) :)

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 31, 2010 at 9:26 am:
I really like this!  It tells a story that many of us experience in our own ways each year.  I would work on trying to make it flow a little better, though.  I noticed that initially you tried to make it rhyme, but then you kind of stopped.  I think it sounded best when it was rhymimg.  Also, Maybe try having each verse be the same amount of lines.  Just some ideas, really nice job.

Jan. 2, 2011 at 2:40 am :
Thanks for the ideas! I wasn't even trying to rhyme, but i guess i happened to rhyme most of it :):)

Sarah R. said...
I love it :) I'd just like to say....it's obvious your from Colorado :) and its really good I love love the first stanza

Jan. 2, 2011 at 2:43 am :
Thanks! And Colorado was what inspired me to write this! :):)

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i like it. it tells the story of summer ending and its a very peaceful poem. i like the way it rhymes and how every second verse is 3 lines and the ones in the middle of them are four lines. I love the first verse but i think you could probably work on the very last line instead of ''The fun is finally here for today'' perhaps you could change it to something like '' Their fun is finally over for this day'' etc. Great poem though!!

Jan. 2, 2011 at 2:42 am :
Thanks and i like that i'll think about changing the ending to make it flow more! I appreciate you commenting and helping me to improve my writing! :):)