Self Demise

I have found that which I seek,
Rather, need, which I have not sought.
That which I have yearned,
Yet have never broken silence on behalf.

That which proves gawkingly precocious,
But still, nevertheless, so close to me.
So tauntingly close do our eyes meet,
And so teasingly far from reach.

I recognize its walk, its carry.
Familiar of that which devours me,
Burdened with that which makes me.
And still, fearless of that which haunts me.

We share a dialect, it and I.
One of countless words and slangs,
Of surrendering expressions and melancholy,
However, void of a single character.

So here I am, presently,
Staring up at that bright shining star.
And as I avert to my right,
I refuse to turn away.

Because I have found you.

xXsmileXx This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 3, 2011 at 3:35 pm:
I suppose i'm late with the congrats on this one. However, a poem which reaches an audience so deeply with words that lull the mind with such grace, does not deserve to go unnoticed by a single soul that stumbles upon it. what can i say that hasn't been said? i think everyone has that one unattainable person in their life they long for. and the average person has to keep those feelings bottled inside because they don't have the means to express them the way you do. you most definetly have a gift... (more »)

chrisbriones replied...
Jul. 4, 2011 at 1:38 pm :

Oh I've missed your kind words. You are talented, though. Let the world know that I say so. Thank you for noticing me. I certainly appreciate it and reciprocate it!

chrisbriones replied...
Jul. 4, 2011 at 1:38 pm :
And I changed to title to Ethereal

crazypoetgirl18 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This has a nice rhythm to it. I also like that it is complex and explanatory up until the last two lines, which are beautifully simple. I enjoy the contrast.

Marlyre This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:55 pm :
ditto up top! i think i have felt the same.... care to read some of mine?

chrisbriones replied...
Aug. 25, 2010 at 12:25 am :
Yes, it is lubby dubby. And I'm happy you caught the contrast. I think i meant to make it seem as if all the boy's intellectuallity was just simply overrun by his bare emotions. I was exploring all the reason's why i liked her...only to come to the conclusion that it's because she makes me smile; that she's not afraid to do new things; that she has this dimple on her left side whenever she smiles; that her hair is black. Simply because it's her.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This poem is, inarguably, well written. You write with a hard-to-find eloquence, and I appreciate it in this piece. I know the feeling, to some extent. Well done.

chrisbriones replied...
Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:16 pm :
My deepest thanks. Should even only one person be able to sympathize with me through my poem, then I bask in gratitude and success.