Rainbow Family This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

You could say we are mixed
I like to think of it as tossed
Like confetti
We were joined when
we were young
By no force we could control
And we thrive like
Seeds planted too close –
Into one another
You'd think we were one
You'd know we were one
If you saw us with
your heart
Others seem more confused
About us
Than we about ourselves
But that's okay
If they don't understand
What they are not a part of
I find it rather funny
That skin is so important
When it is just a soul casing
Like the wrapper
On Ivory soap
People just throw those away
Without a thought
To what it symbolizes
Everyone's blood is
The same color
I know this
After countless cuts
And scrapes
From sidewalks
And the end of a wooden spoon
You'd think we would stand
Separated at the seams
Peering at the others with interest
But we stand side-by-side
Peering about
Of course there are questions
There are always
Questions
But I find I'd rather have questions asked of us
Than statements made of us

Phoenix_Spirit_Reborn said...
Thank you for writing this. Im from a mixed-race family too, but I dont look it. I'm sick of being asked if I'm adopted, and having everyone think I'm not related to my mother (who I actually do look like, just with a different skin color) You wrote this beautfully. Thank you.

IThinkIWIllJustFlyAwayNow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aw so you know what its like!! If you don't mind me asking, what colors are in your rainbow? Yeah, it presents problems, huh? But i think it creates a new perspective not many people get.

Phoenix_Spirit_Reborn replied...
Sept. 21, 2010 at 10:18 am

IDK exactly what i am any more, Im that mixed, but Im predominantly Mexican and Irish. But Im white.

And I agree. I get a whole new perspective because I'm not enitely one thing or the other, so I can be both, or something else entirely. And you get to see an entirely different side to people. But it is funny watching ppl's faces when I tell them Im half mexican. xD

Yeah, when they're totally talking bad about one side of you cuz they don't know? Yeah, I laugh at that too, haha. Half of my family is white, and me and my bro are half black and half white. A very controversial mix, in my experience