A New Day at Midnight

Three hours of braving the seas
Three hours of seeing the unseen
180 minutes of staring at the clock
180 minutes of wishing time would stop

Tick-tock, tick-tock
Another hour gone and past
Tick-tock, tick-tock
A thousand children breathing fast

Three hours of tossing and turning
Longing for sleep, yearning for air
Three hours of lying in bed
Wishing for peace, searching the stair

180 minutes of getting instead
Screams in the night
Blood spilled on the floor
Lives lost to a closing door

Tick-tock, tick-tock
I won’t be getting sleep tonight
Tick-tock, tick-tock
A new day at midnight

Three hours, a million deaths
A thousand children taking their last breath
I just stay and lie in bed
Time lost, tears streaming in my head

elfiewrites said...
I love this! You are an insanely talented writer! I would love if you can comment on my work, as well. Thanks so much.

BasketballChick5 said...
i like  this one to

Emokittiy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i love how ur inspiration for ur poem came from something that everyone has probably thought about. your a very talented writer. check out one of my poems. much appreciated!! :):):):)

Emokittiy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
wait, i just reread my coment and im not sayin tht ur original. lol. i meant everyone wonders wats goin on out side while inside but no one was smart enough to put it into a poem. lol. now im rambling.

know wat? on second thought, disregard my last two replies.....
new reply----> your a very talented writer. love yur work!!! :)

randomstreak(akabrianj) replied...
Feb. 26, 2010 at 11:31 am
ha ha thnx.....i think.....i'll check out your work :)

Emokittiycut This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
lol. it was off day for me yesterday. i had a hard time with words appartently. lol.

allison99 said...
Jan. 1, 2010 at 11:13 am
This is really great! I sometimes wonder this myself, actually. And sorry, because I meant to rate this five stars and the stupid laptop mouse slipped and I clicked one. So sorry about that! It's really great, though! :D

brianj replied...
Jan. 2, 2010 at 10:57 am
Ha, ha, no problem! I always try to rate people's pieces, but it never shows up on the computer! But, hey, I just appreciate the effort. ha ha Thanks for the feedback! :)

huntonn said...
This piece is amazing because in my opinion it shows how good we have it in life. The lines "blood spilled on the floor lives lost to a closing door" caught my attention. This line captures how life is for people who are less fortunate and how people are dying when we are all sound asleep. I also found the last stanza amazingly moving. When you say "Three hours, a million deaths a thousand children taking their last breath" I actually started to weep on the inside because ... (more »)

brianj replied...
Ha, ha! I'm commenting on your comment. (inside joke) Thanks, Natalie! I'm glad you thought this piece was "inspirational." This is kind of deja vous, but I wrote it one night when it was pretty close to 12:00 A.M. and I just was too awake to even think about sleeping. Well, I guess caffeinated tea has a way of getting you to think about things. Thanks so much for your feedback!

brianj said...
I don't normally write poems, but that was the only writing form that truly fit the feeling of laying in bed longing to sleep, but being too distracted. I'd love to hear what you think!
-Thanks

writergirl22 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
i really liked the idea for this poem
i know how you feel when you're just lying awake wondering what is going on in the world outside of your bedroom
i really like how you captured that in this poem

Here-to-be-hear replied...
twas amazing! I really love your style of writing!