The American Dream This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It is the American Dream
What we all strive for and imagine
Indouble-wide trailers to double-wide mansions
In sprouting lakes of fake fish.
Nothing captures its essence
Unbound by time or dust or rot
The thingswe cherish still are lovingly patted
And brought through thecenturies.

It is more than a dream now
It's a reality that the millionshave made
Our heart and soul builds the heaven on earth.
A refuge for thesick,
And a shelter for the needy,
It is everything we desire.

Inthe cherry trucks and laughing children
To indolent teenagers with smokecircling
We see our dream and the actuality
It may not be perfect, but itis our heaven
And so disillusioned we conjure forth our hope.

In thepicket fences we see our childhood
In the sky we see our adulthood
And inthe middle we see our life.
Suspended, but not contained,
It is the dreamthat wakes within us all.

LexieM said...
today at 1:36 pm
you really captured the essence of all parts of America and not just one perspective. From the rich to the poor and just little things like a refuge for the sick. But I wonder why some of you your words are interlocked as one.

FaZe_Raggy said...
Jan. 7 at 12:15 pm
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

FaZe_Raggy said...
Jan. 7 at 12:14 pm
love it it is cy

sniper1012 replied...
Jan. 7 at 12:15 pm
hi hihihihihhhhihihihihihhihhihihihih

aoliver said...
Nov. 5, 2015 at 8:45 am
I feel like this is what America is all about. “A refuge for the sick, and a shelter for the needy.” This is my favorite line because it explains how America is our home and can pick us up when we fall down there is always something here to help us.

5MatthewJM said...
I like this piece because it speaks the truth about the American dream. When you said “A refuge for the sick, And a shelter for the needy, it is everything we desire.” I thought about the poverty and sickness in the world and how it needs to change.

nuha.anwarThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 28, 2015 at 11:01 am
This article is definitely marvelous. However, what I would prefer if you talk more about the core of American Dream, talking deep downn into the core of the American Dream can really enchance the tone and instead make it reminiscent.

American24 said...
Jan. 15, 2015 at 10:53 am
I believe that its a good poem but the real american dream you right about has more layers then one. Peal them back to get to the center then you will have a truly heart touching peom

Enigmapleet said...
Nov. 22, 2014 at 8:06 am
POEM REALLY STANDS OUT........  

AbbeyW This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Awesome! I'm trying to get better and would love some constructive criticism. Would you mind checking out my work? TeenInk.com/poetry/free_verse/article/678285/Under/

moderndayEmilyDickinsonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:51 am
I'm honored, that you shared this. Thank you; know that someone looks up to you and you are a treasure.

AbigailGilgal said...
K, I really like the poem but did you mean to run those words together? Or is it a typo? A little confused here

RanaHewezi1998 said...
Wow incredible! Keep up the good work :D

Zballer23 said...
Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:04 am
great read

laurensoccer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I could really picture everything that was said! I love the vivid imagery!

KingFoeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
The last stanza is the best, but the rest of it doesn't seem to flow entirely (message wise, not in words). But all in all it's a pretty great poem.

Mark said...
Love it! Great peom!!!

YDUJYOT said...
I LOVE THE LAST STANZA

RanaHewezi1998 said...
wow that was really deep and thought out. Great job :D

itsjustmeHannahThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
you are literally amazing. this is literally amazing. im at a loss for words here.