To Kill a Mockingbird Found Poem

This is a truth
that applies to the human race,
yet to no particular race of men:
You never really understand a person,
until you consider things from his point of view,
climb inside of his skin,
and walk around in it.
One thing that doesn't abide,
by majority rule;
a person's conscience.
It was times like these
When;
you rarely win,
only children weep,
the dead bury the dead,
one does not love breathing,
and there’s just one kind of folks:
folks.
I don't pretend to understand,
Why reasonable people,
go stark raving mad,
simply because they're still human;
that the one place,
where a man ought to get a square deal,
is in a courtroom,
be he any color of the rainbow.
It was times like these,
That,
food comes with death,
flowers with sickness,
and little things in between;
two soap dolls,
a broken watch and chain,
a pair of good-luck pennies,
and our lives.
It made me sad.
Yet delete the adjectives,
and I'd have the facts;
it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.

cretalakaira This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
wow, this is beautiful. i love found poems (i've done them a lot at school) and i think you really captured the spirit of the book while staying true to you and also while creating a beautiful piece of writing. GREAT job! (:

ExpRESsY0uRselF said...
Wow, this poem was great! Usually, with long poems like this, I get bored and stop reading halfway through it. But with your article, my eyes were glued to my computer screen, first word to last! I really hope you keep writing. If you have time, please check out, comment on, and rate my poems, The Girl Inside, You Are The Lyrics In Me, and Remembering Spring. Thanks so much! 8)

RachelEliza replied...
thank you ! and I'll chec yours out right away , look for my comments (:

butterfly_kisses said...
Wow! This is really good! It captures the novel well! I have never heard of a found poem, I like the idea a lot.

Kelsey_O said...
This is so cool! To Kill a Mockingbird is an amazing work with great lines in it. This looks difficult to put together, but it is very good! Check out my article? 

remembermeplz said...
wow this is amazing!

justsmileanddance said...
wow!!! this is really cool!! i'd never heard of a found poem before and i love it. i had to read this book for school this year and i love the way you got phrases from all the important parts of the book. just love it!!

farah This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 27, 2011 at 7:25 am
 i love that book and i love this too!! real nice!!

Justbeme said...

Gosh i love this book! Great idea i never actually thought about found poems before. i really enjoyed reading it. :)

bookworm said...
i have just finished reading this book and i needed to find an example of a found poem. i lokked and looked, until i found this one. this is the best example i have ever found of a 'found poem' that relates to "to kill a mockingbird".    a really good poem for a really good book!!!!!!!   i love it!!!!!!  

SpringRayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Interesting...I've never read the book before, but this poem is interesting--I think I'm going to be reading it for English soon...I think I want to try a found poem! where did you hear of it?

SpringRayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Ironically, we started reading the book in English class like a week after I read this and posted. It makes a lot more sense now, and I recognize some of the quotes too.

RachelEliza replied...
Haha thank you , but naturally I heard about it in English class, partially because thats the only class I really pay attention in .

d student said...
i havent read any of this book and i have to find a poem and this seems great but i have to explain how the lyrics relate to the book....

OneGodForever32This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is awesome! I've read the book, and this poem is amazing!

peachy37 said...
I just read this book for my English class at school. I absolutely love this poem! :)

RunnerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I'm really happy that you shared this with the community. I'm reading the book right now and loved your selection of phrases. Furthermore, i had never heard of a found poem. I would like to try it myself.

Thanks!

Anonymous01This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
 had to read this book in 9th grade and i didnt really enjoy it, but this poem made from the books words was amazing! Awsome Job :DD

lovescolorguard said...
i think this poem describes like the book does and takes little things that jem, scout, and dill through out the book

bruce said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 12:56 am
how this poem related to to kill a mocking bird?