The Middle Child This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

No one ever remembers Gene Forrester.
If he weren’t a fictional character
on an all-too-familiar journey of
self discovery,
he might be upset.
(jealous of Holden Caulfield even)
I’d like to talk to him,
If he were real, that is.
He’s like the middle child,
lonely and intellectual.
Completely void of attention.
No one cares.
His story is not a classic.
It’s not required reading for
high-school students across the nation.
Maybe Knowles was jealous of Salinger.
Maybe he yearned for a successful novel
that would spark the interest of
curious teenagers for decades to come.
If Gene Forrester were real though,
and
(hypothetically, of course)
he reads this,
I want him to know that
I remember him.

ambivalentThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
had to look up who gene forrester was, and was embarrassed to do so. i read a separate peace eighth grade year, and forgot him already. keeping the deeper meaning of this poem in mind would make the world a better place.

Canadotas This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:33 am
I like the idea behind this a lot, that you don't have to be a star to be important or great. You can be outshined and still be loved. That message is really hard for me to remember sometimes, so it's really nice to read it. Thank you.

JLEIGH96 said...
Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:39 am
I really love this. Being the oldest of many siblings I wouldnt know where you were coming from, but you helped me understand.

DontxstopxImagining said...
I am the middle child of the family, of three girls, the middle daughter and I can totally relate to this, its lovely

waywithwords said...
I love your poem and I love that book! :) I remember him too.

TheSummoningFreak said...
May 23, 2010 at 11:46 am
love . love .love it !!!!!