Dandelion

A weed, they call it.
That circle of thin yellow petals,
So carefully and intricately layered,
Pointing skyward at it's heart.

A weed, they call it.
That miracle of evolution,
That cheerful blossom,
So beautifully detailed.

A weed, they call it,
Which graces our lawns in multitudes,
But I've studied it closely,
Marveled at it's fragile beauty.

A weed, they call it!
I know better.

AndThisIsReal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
By the way I've added this to my favorites because its truly lovely.

Inkspired replied...
Dec. 29, 2009 at 2:27 pm :
Thanks so much!

Oct. 15, 2009 at 9:18 am:
This is fantastic.
Its so true and so well written. :)

Jennax3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This left a smile on my face! The last line is fantastic. This poem is beautiful, and dandelions are too :]

Hay_Wire This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 24, 2009 at 3:39 am:
oh my gosh!! i love dandelions perfect poem

Blue-eyed_Hippy-chick said...
Jun. 24, 2009 at 6:33 pm:
Very nice. Love it. They are beautiful flowers. And they grow everywhere. What could be better?

Fangz said...
Jun. 15, 2009 at 1:02 pm:
I totally agree. It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes; "The only difference between a weed and a flower is a judgement."

RheaD.Ravenfinger This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 12, 2009 at 12:07 am:
S.t.S! I love dandelions too! But I guess I've never told you that. Anyway I love your poem Inkspired! I consider them a flower, not a weed. Love your poem! I have more poems up if you want to look at them.

Tiina V. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm:
I also think this poem is very good
you really make that dandelion sound beautiful
(Tiina)

S.t.S This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 8, 2009 at 4:13 am:
WOW! You are the first person who agrees with me on that! I ADORE dandelions! I ADORE THEM! Your poem is simple--- touching, and very beautiful. :) Five stars!

windswift This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 7, 2009 at 2:59 am:
i give this poem a four oput of five.

Kay M. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 9, 2009 at 6:16 pm:
great last line. This poem to me is the dark horse of your poetry. With simplistic wit and excellent diction.

despurlock This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow, I love it! I love dandelions too and my boyfriends laughs when I pick them and put them behind my ear :) Great job. I love this poem and I love the form! It's great! Keep it up! I'm going to catch up on reading some of your work, I hope you'll come by and read some of my new stuff too! Keep up the great work! 5 stars :)