Me First

Poverty,
Persecution,

Pollution,
Everywhere you find these three:
In Africa where they labour in
the barren desert,
Malnourished and poor;
In Peru where they trudge through mines,
And carelessly dump mercury,
to find that lump of gold to nourish their families;
Whilst we are enthroned upon our pedestals of
Wealth,
Power,

Selfishness,
Spewing carbon and waste into the
Oceans,
Forests,

Air,

Everywhere.
We could aid so many,
Most aid themselves,
For why would I waste my
Time,
Money,

Effort,
On someone I don't know,
when I could be enjoying myself?
Forgive me, I forgot,
Me first.

AndThisIsReal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I appreciate your comments so much, they honestly make me smile.
Flow and rhythm...great.
Going green seems to be the new fashion statement, but this poem has real meaning.
I just like it!
Nice Nice Nice Nice.
Keep writing. :)

ErumK said...
Amazingly powerful, last stanza was incredible and really leaves a strong impression on the reader and makes them think. You have a flair for poetry and should definatley keep writing. I myself only have one poem up here...

Blue-eyed_Hippy-chick said...
Very true. Really like it. I love your work. Check me out sometime. once they actually post some of my work. It still hasn't been put on yet

KirbyLover95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
THis was really good! Your writing is very addictive and i enjoy reading what you write. You should never give up writing and this really really makes you think. Actually makes you think about everything you're not doing instead of all the things you are doing. Very very good.

Annie-kins said...
WOW. Wow wow wow. Thank you for writing this... it hit me especially hard because I just finished an article on how my school is going green.

RheaD.Ravenfinger This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 12, 2009 at 12:09 am
Hmmm . . . . very interesting. I like the last bit. Very good.

windswift This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i liked this poem a lot, it reminds me of the multiple times that ive tried to get people to relise that our world is the only world we will get, so try to take care of it. i wrote an article on the subject, and it siad people need to take a stand and protect our earth. i give this poem a five out of five, the reason being because i see it as the 100% truth. ive had no access to a computer lately, so ive been unable to submit new things. i hope to get my own computer soon. ill write back as... (more »)

S.t.S This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 8, 2009 at 4:15 am
Ouch--- very powerful... I like the simple-mindedness in it... it just fits the selfishness of the title and the concept: 'Me First'...