Sent Away

One hour to pack,
Our lives into bags,
We may never come back,
So what can I put in the bags?

They are not large enough,
For all that I treasure,
I start packing my stuff,
But I can't pack pleasure.

How do they expect us,
To pack all of our things,
And sit quietly on a bus,
Waiting for what the next day brings?

When we have only a suitcase or two,
And no time or moving trucks,
Can you blame me for whispering anew,
"Sometimes the government really sucks!"?

AppleFox This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 16, 2010 at 11:26 am
I can really feel the emotions behind this poem. You did a good job with rhyming, but one thing to avoid is to not repeat the same word at the end of a sentance. Differnt words that mean the same thing can make the poem more interesting.
When there is no substitue for a word you can try leaving the word out altogether by creating a sentance that is similar in meaning.

Inkspired replied...
Thanks! I'll try that

Schubster said...
haha, loved it. thanx for checking out my work.

ErumK said...
I love the first stanza. =)

S.t.S This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 8, 2009 at 4:28 am
I really love the first line: "One hour to pack,
Our lives into bags..." Very beautiful and hidden, but in a straight-forward manner... five stars!

READ*WRITE*LOVE*GREEN said...
This happened to 92 Inuit in the 1950's, to all of Japanese descent during World War 2, and to a whole African-American suburb in 1969. I was totally surprised when I found out Canada did that! Thanks so much for all the comments!

windswift This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 23, 2009 at 4:15 am
this poem is really good, it shows strong emotion, and even though there was nothing about being sad mentioned i still got the heavy feeling of sadness. if you dont mind me asking, how long ago was this when it happend? i know exactly what the feeling is.

RheaD.Ravenfinger This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 22, 2009 at 12:51 am
I like the rythmn in this poem and it's a sad poem but a good poem. I like it. I didn't know even Canada did that. I knew China did.

gogreen2009 said...
May 12, 2009 at 1:45 am
I really like this it shows good quality of how people feel. That is actually how i felt when i moved!:)