Children

A child lies, a child defies, a child runs away and hides.
A child hates, a child rates, a child will discriminate.
A child is stubborn a child is stubborn, a child is always going under.
A child is afraid of being wrong, a child is never very strong.
I laugh, I scream, I play in the streets.
I walk around town with no shoes on my feet.
I often use simple words.
I dream of flying like a bird.
Sometimes I want to dance and sing.
Sometimes I dream of being king.
Sometimes I break down and cry.
Sometimes I do things and don’t know why.
I am young and I am free,
But you are the child, not me.

Acalleq This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i tip my hat to you oh great and wise one

Orangepenguin said...
This is Amazing

mallory14 said...
I really like this poem it is so deep, and cool and it makes me think harder about it after i read it...Its one of those poems that makes you really have to think, and i love that!!:) Great job!

ivy on the wall said...
Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:30 am
deep. good job!

Clark P. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 20, 2009 at 2:02 am
I understand what you mean at the end, you're very much like me. But I don't mean to be assuming anything.

Schubster said...
Aug. 20, 2009 at 1:57 am
awesome poem! :) i can't believe that this poem doesn't have more comments!!!! great work. check out my work if you have the time

justinie_the_weenie said...
Aug. 20, 2009 at 1:54 am
I really like this one. It flows really well (: Keep it up hun!

mallory14 said...
i really like this poem

Meli1 said...
Wooowie! this is definately amazing! i love it :)

Robsessed said...
That was really good. It was simplistic in nature, just like a child. Kudos on the creativity.

krzykrys said...
it's amazing! and it makes people think and see things from a different perspective

Colette B. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow...this is pretty good stuff.While the rhyming may have been simple,I like how it mimmicks a child rhyming when describing what his life is like, adding to the feel of the poem. The ending where the roles change at the end provokes some thoughts and questions. It's really good. Keep writing!

mwatt12 said...
I love how fluidly the whole thing comes together. Very nice.

Bria S. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like this peom alot, but I think if you wouldn't have tried so hard to rhyme it would have been better.

lexi10824 said...
I love this poem a lot. I've read two of yours no and I like the thought that was put into it. You've got a lot of talent. Keep Writing! :)

Madelyn said...
This is a beautiful poem. It flows so gently together. You are really talented :)

rainbowsanity said...
This is the first poem I've read by you but I really like it :] The concept and the rhyming of the poem are great :)

tigressten said...
Matt, wow, your writing keeps getting better and better. I like the shift in roles at the end of the work! Have a relaxing summer, dude.

bethanibubbles said...
I love the rhyming as what kids are like is being described. This is a very good poem.

poetman said...
May 6, 2009 at 11:54 am
I like that your poetry encompasses many different aspects of life. This one is different for you and it's good.