New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

The Case of Double

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Pleasantries

It was a cold, wet morning. The sheets of rain beat on Jack's window. He sat in his favorite blue chair, as usual, sipping tea rather than coffee, which was actually quite contrary to his norm. Ace, his cat, lay in his lap, and his sleepy dog Jesse in its bed nearby. Jack was so engrossed in a fascinating article on equine behavior that he started when the phone rang right next to him.
It was Inspector Burrow.
Apparently, a very large sum of money had been stolen from a retired major living in the country.
“I'll be there in half an hour.”

The major lived in an old manor about 9 kilometers out of Enfield, England, where Jack lived.
Jack caught a taxi. The manor sat on a large estate, with a good shrubbery and stables. Once inside, Jack was led to a large room upstairs. He judged it to be the major’s study, having a large wooden desk and walls lined with book shelves. The two windows overlooked the front yard from the center of the house. In a corner of the room stood a great old safe; the door stood ajar, and a key lie on the floor nearby. Smudged with grease, it would have been nearly impossible to get an accurate fingerprint from it. Jack picked up the key with a pair of tweezers.
“Motor oil.”
“Yes, we've discovered that,” the inspector said irritably.
Jack grimaced, but said, “What other evidence is there?”
“That's it.”
Jack finished his scrutiny of the smudged key before inspecting the rest of the room.
“Well, I don't see any other abnormalties. Not even oil on the door handle…” He looked troubled. The major, standing nearby, coughed. “But if you’d be so kind, Burrow, could I speak with the suspects?”
“Sergeant!”
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »