Breathless

Author's note: I was inspired to write this story because being in high school, I have a front row seat to all...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I was inspired to write this story because being in high school, I have a front row seat to all of the cliques (and all the drama they create). I believe that the entire high school food chain of populars vs. unpopulars and all the sub-levels that go into those two categories are a mind set that takes up residence because we let it continue. I hope that Lexi's story, and all the editing that I can't help myself from doing in free time, sends the message that popularity and following the crowd can be a really stupid thing to do. Individuality is something to be treasured.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next »

Chapter Three

That afternoon, Maci got off of the bus at my house and we paraded up my front steps into my kitchen.
“MOM! Maci and I are home!” I yelled. Mom came around the corner, her blonde hair tumbling over her shoulders onto her pressed suit. She gave us a thumbs up as she passed by, saying, “Yes, we’ll need ten of those by Thursday…yes I can pay cash! Who do you think I am?!” Then she disappeared into her bedroom.
“Uhhh. . .”
“Bluetooth,” I answered Maci’s unspoken question. She nodded and we jogged upstairs to my room. The cool thing about my mom is that she’s always so busy, she thinks I don’t get enough attention. Even though I think differently, she lets Maci come over whenever she wants. That’s why Maci could sleepover on a school night.
The two of us did the small amount of homework we had, then got to gossiping.
“I know you two said something to each other. I saw your mouths moving,” Maci pried.
“I asked him about home schooling and he said it was stupid. How am I supposed to respond to that??”
“Well, you could, like, be all supportive.”
“Huh?”
“Say that he did the right thing by switching if it was all ‘stupid’,” Maci shrugged her shoulders.
“That might just work. How do I start to talk to him tomorrow?”
“Does he want to talk?”
“Uh, I don’t think so.” I then re-played the locker scenario for Maci.
“Well then don’t talk to him. Honey, if he doesn’t want you, then don’t chase him. There’s always Andrew Thomas.” Images of footballs, perfect smiles, and nine years of friendship played in my mind. He was cute, I had to admit, but I knew him to well. There was no mystery. And I couldn’t give up. After all, Holmes never discarded a mystery once he had been assigned one.

That night, Maci and I had pizza and soda for dinner, then went to bed early so we could stay up and talk more.
As soon as we started talking, Maci got a call on her cell. It was one of her girls, Lilay. And trust me, that’s how she spelled it. Maci put her phone on speaker as she flipped it open.
“Maci here. Go.”
“So we interviewed Lauren. . .and. . .um . . .”
“Get to the point.”
“She isn’t gay. She was sitting and making out with her boyfriend when we walked up to her after third period.”
“Ugh. Great. Lilay, thanks, but I’ve got to go.” Maci hung up on painfully honest comrade as I looked at her with an I-told-you-so face.
“What? Now I just have to tell them that Bethany lied to Hannah to get back at Lauren for. . .I don’t know. I’ll think of something later.” I realized then to never believe anything Maci talked about. Unless she was in tears or on her death bed.
We talked for another hour before turning off the lights and talking some more. It was then, as I was in my bed and Maci was in her sleeping bag, that the text came.
Maci’s phone lit up and I chuckled. “Why do you keep that on at night?”
“As the group’s leader, I have to be available at all times. The group can’t afford to forget any valuable information.” She flipped the phone open as she said this. I saw her eyes flitter across the screen.
“Ohmigosh.”
“What?” I asked.
“You know Blake?”
“Are you really asking that question? Of course!”
“I’ve got bad news. Shakina just found out that he got kicked out of his old school for almost raping a girl.”
“Uh, ew?”
“*Almost’ being the key word,” Maci sounded official. “You see, he was in the process of getting down on her when she screamed and an old man walking by heard her.”
“Where were they?” I asked.
“In the old park downtown.”
I was silent for a moment. Now, my conscience was telling me to stay away from him; my heart was telling me it was ok to chase after him. Maci was all talk, no fact. This was just another story.
I told Maci I was tired and turned onto my opposite side to show I was done talking. She seemed disappointed but I didn’t care. I needed to rest my brain. The drama could wait until tomorrow.

Freckles3 said...
This was a really captivating story! At chapter 10, my internet stopped working, and you should have seen me, hitting the computer and throwing a fit because I couldn't finish the story! Great work!

JonesychicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 3:37 pm:
I really liked it ^_^