Submersion

Author's note: This was inspired by a movie I watched. I can't remember the movie title, but if I ever remember...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This was inspired by a movie I watched. I can't remember the movie title, but if I ever remember I will write it later. I just want people to get a good, interesting read. :)  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 Next »

Prologue

My life was always scripted, always planned out, always set before I knew it even began. I lived a privileged life and I started to think that was the only life that was meant for me to live. My parents, Aiden and Lauren Espion, were barely ever home so I was raised by whatever nannies they hired each year. I attended a private school called Chadwick Academy, in some city that I barely remember the name of. Since my parents were the main sponsors at Chadwick, I was allowed to do whatever I wanted and no one could ever tell me different. Everyone in school wanted to be my friend or pretended to be to ‘up their cool factor’ but I never had any real friends.
My day started out like any normal day. I waited by the dumpsters for my clients to show up, even though they were late as usual. They were nervous and I wouldn’t blame them for their anxiousness because if they got caught, they knew they’d be expelled. They handed me their money and I handed them pre-sealed black bags. Once they left, I counted the money and it totaled close to twenty thousand dollars. I put the money into my book bag and smiled as I walked away. This was strictly easy money to me and I enjoyed every minute of it. Even though I was rich, that was my parents’ money, not mine. I earned my money.
What was in those pre-sealed black bags? Stolen tests, drugs and alcohol. My name is Darien and I started my own school store. I had students who worked for me, mainly from the math and science club who I paid very well, to take photos of all the tests in school from each grade, thanks to the photography club, who would give me a copy of whatever they obtained. I’d then print copies on the finest quality ink and paper to distribute to my clients. The tests were then put into the black bags, along with anything else they ordered.
At first, it was just tests, but then students started asking me if I had the hook up to other necessities they could by cheaper than what they were always paying. Luckily, my parents didn’t notice if I stole bottles of wine and liquor from their cabinets, or if I borrowed some of their prescription drugs and medicines. The test ran about a thousand per test, with a special sale if they bought more than one, and the based on how much and what drugs and alcohol they wanted, it ran between four to five hundred. I gave the finest products, made sure everyone was satisfied and no one got caught.
I ran my business for about five years and everything was running smoothly. The cameras were erased if me or my clients were shown exchanging products thanks to my half-brother, Marcus, who was the dean of students. He was unexpectedly proud and amazed at how well my business was growing at such an exponential rate. He told me that he believed I had a real talent and future career in business management. I had money stacked up with no showing of slowing down anytime soon. Maybe he was right? That is until one day…

One of my regulars, Adriana, who also happened to be the principal’s daughter, tipped off someone in the head office about my school store project all because I wouldn’t have sex with her. Adriana was the school slut and I was in no mood to end up in the hospital with some unidentified disease and no actual reason as to where it came from. She slept with a few of my other clients and talked them into coming forward as well. One by one, all of my clients were coming clean about them buying from me. There were more questions with only one specific answer: Darien.
Eventually, a case was brought up on me about my business. It didn’t seem to matter that my parents were a huge asset in their academy because no amount of money seemed to be able to get me out of my ordeal. The only word to describe my situation was illegal, obviously. I even offered to give up the money I obtained from selling to get them off my case. But there was no way the academy would have been allowed by law to bypass my business ventures. They decided to expel me and everyone else who was involved that came forward was suspended.
Everyone insisted that they get their money back, but since there was no record of how much each of them actually paid, the school agreed on the amount of two thousand for each person I sold to. My punishment? I was transferred to a public school, Crownwell Heights, where rich white boys like me didn’t belong or would ever expect to be. I’m not going to lie; I was terrified when they drove past the school to show me where I’d spend my senior year. My parents were completely disappointed in me because I diverged from the path they chose for me. Until that point, I expected my life to go exactly as they planned as well. I was supposed to be a doctor or a lawyer or manage my own company. But I never expected I’d be an accomplice to murder.
Chapters:   1 2 Next »