New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

In Between

Author's note: This is one of my first novels I have written. I really enjoyed writing it and am looking forward...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This is one of my first novels I have written. I really enjoyed writing it and am looking forward to writing more novels in the future.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 Next »

Michelle

I stand at the edge of the cliff, peering down below. Out of all of the things here, this place always appears before me the easiest. Below me, I am watching Sam walk home from school. I miss walking home with him. I miss my brother.
Then, I see some boys walking behind him. One of them is Luke, a boy who thought it would be funny to lift up my skirt in the middle of class when we were both kindergarteners. The rest of the boys I recognize from my neighborhood, but they all had seemed like idiots to me so I did not bother to learn their names when I was on Earth. But somehow I know that one of the boy’s names is Patrick, and the scrawny looking one is Victor.
My hands clench into fists as I watch Luke knock Sam off of his feet.
“Come on, Sam,” I whisper, urging him on, “Defend yourself.”
I cannot help but gasp when I see Luke bring a knife to Sam’s throat. If he had made the tiniest cut against my baby brother’s skin, I would do anything to get revenge.
But how could I get revenge? I was not even on Earth.
“I know what you are thinking. Take my advice: Whatever you do, do not do it.” Raven appears behind me.
“They are hurting my brother! They are hurting Sam!” I cry.
“Those who jump, they do not normally come back. Once you go, it is nearly impossible to find peace, and if you cannot find peace, you cannot return. Earth can be such a horrid place. Do not get stuck there, wandering in the In Between for eternity. Stay here, one day your brother will be here too.”
I watch as Luke runs the knife down Sam’s face and I cannot stand the fact that I am watching helplessly from above.
“How can I have peace if my brother gets hurt?” I cry, and without waiting for a response, I jump.

I am falling, head first, down and down towards the Earth below. I can no longer see my brother, as I speed closer and closer the ground blurs together. I do not get that butterfly feeling that I used to get when I rode down really steep hills on roller coasters, however I seem to be falling gracefully, as if I am a bird swooping down from the mighty treetops.
I begin to lose control and do a somersault in the air. And then another. Yet I do not feel sick, I guess spirits cannot become queasy. Then I regain control and continue to fall, my arms out in front of me as if I am flying.
By now I am falling at such a great speed that I start to realize that I might die when I hit the ground. But spirits are already dead, I remember, and I hope that the impact does not hurt a great deal. The air is rushing quickly around me, and I cannot help but squeeze my eyes shut.
I am falling.

I land gently on cement, as if I was slowly set down instead of falling from a great height. It is dark, and I realize that I am in somebody’s basement. I look at the roof above me and I see no hole where I fell through. The basement has an eerie familiarity, as if I had been here before.
I stand up, brushing off the dust that blankets the floor. Spider webs decorate the walls as if no one had bothered to clean this place in a very long time.
I come across a light, which is shining from underneath a door. The light shines over a long staircase which leads to the top. The stair creaks loudly as I set my foot on it. Slowly, I climb them, one by one, until I am facing the door, but when I reach for the knob, I realize that I am locked down here.
But I am not alone. I hear a young boy softly crying.
“Hello?” I call out, “Who’s there?”
No answer. The quiet crying does not cease.
I return into the darkness down below.
“Hello?” I call out again, this time more timidly.
I see a shadow of a small boy, hugging his knees. He, too, looks familiar, and I am sure that I would know him if I could just see his face.
“Are you okay?” I ask.
The boy slowly turns around, revealing a blackened face. Blackened from burning. He raises one of his burned arms and points at me.
“I loved my murderer. I loved my murderer.” He repeats, over and over, staring at me with sad eyes.
I hear a loud creaking noise, the sound of door opening, and then a footstep. And then another. A series of footsteps make their way down the stairs with a very slow rhythm.
The boy’s voice turns shriller, and now he is shrieking those four words.
“I loved my murderer.”
A dark silhouette faces me, hidden by the shadows. The boy goes quiet and I watch him crumble into ashes.
I stare at the dark figure, my legs feeling like large blocks of lead. I want to say something, but when I try to talk no words leave my mouth.
The figure gestures towards where the boy once stood. On top of the ashes, there is a body lying face down.
I drag my feet towards the corpse, but they grow heavier and heavier with each step. Finally, I kneel down and turn the body over.
I stare down at myself, my body. I look at my face, pale and cool to the touch. My eyes are gouged out, and blood streams down from where they once were like tear tracks.
“Once the life left them, there was no use for them.” I can feel my murder’s breath against the back of my neck.
I begin to scream.

Amina157This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:07 am:
This story is great, had me on the edge of my seat, i would love to read more, i think you could write from other people's point of views and make a saga :)

Freckles3This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow, I only just read the first chapter... It's really good! Yeah, it's a horrifying, terrible, monsterous, horrific, sad, gory, disgusting, and murderous idea... You did a really good job on this. The writing is superb, and I'm hooked. It's only the first chapter!

Laxgrl818 said...
Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:57 am:
I read the prologue, and it seems really really good. I want to keep reading it, but everytime I go to click on the next page, it goes back to the summary. Does anyone know how I could keep reading it?

xprincessrockerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 8, 2012 at 12:29 pm:

this is a really goooooooooooooood 

book i new and would like a few tips

because i am writing my first thriller story.

Surobhi_Moitrayee said...
Feb. 29, 2012 at 3:55 am:
i really liked it...i'd love if you'd try my book too...

DannehBoi said...
Oct. 30, 2011 at 9:34 am:
I. Love. This. Book!!!!! :D

DannehBoi said...
Oct. 30, 2011 at 9:24 am:

"reminds me of when Dad would take me out for ice cream, just the two of us. We would watch the cars. I would count the blue. He would count the silver."

Aww, That reminds me of the movie "Up" :)

DannehBoi said...
Oct. 23, 2011 at 10:46 am:
This story is really really good, but I'm a little confused... Michelle and Sam are brother and sister? And Michelle murdered Sam, but then Sam is alive and Michelle isn't coming home?? Whaatttt? -_-

.Izzy.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 3:39 pm :
I'm assuming that you are referring to the prologue. The narrator of that is actually Hope, and it's the story of when she murdered her own brother. I wrote it to describe the mental illness she had which led her to kill Michelle.

DannehBoi replied...
Nov. 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm :
Yeah, haha thanks for telling me. I had found out already though, I finished the whole story (: It was really good, I liked it a lot (:

Nov. 12, 2011 at 10:06 am :
Aww thank you (:

DannehBoi replied...
Nov. 12, 2011 at 12:28 pm :
You are welcome (:

Emily.L said...
I only read the first 6 chapters so far, but I know I'll be finishing the novel! I don't understand how you even write entire thing and still make it good XD

KylaMThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:18 pm:
about how long did it take for you to write this? and how many pages was it writen out? to be honest, this was one of the most inspiring stories i have ever read! and u said that it was one of your first stories! i am also a writer, but i know that i prob couldnt top this. this story is amazing, keep up the great work!

Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:46 pm :
About a year I believe. I'm not sure how many pages I wrote this a while ago. But thanks!

KylaMThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:07 am :
your so talented!

Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:50 am :
Awhh thank you! That means a lot to me(:

RhythmAndRhyme said...
Jul. 15, 2011 at 12:57 pm:
Love the story! Great twist. Didn't expect that at all.

RhythmAndRhyme said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 3:25 pm:
I swear, I'm going to start crying. The prologue is making me tear up! I have a younger brother about 7 years old with blonde hair and blue eyes...I kept imagining him as the brother in the story. It scares me so much.

Odessa_Sterling00This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 16, 2011 at 5:31 pm:
Good Job.  Hope you get this on most discussed.  :DD