The Black Arrow Murders

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 Next »

Chapter Four: A Mysterious Light

The next week passed like most do for Noah, school wasn’t interesting for him. Nothing really interested Noah, nothing except football. He could never go to a Vikings or Gophers game, only watch them on TV. And his school didn’t have sports so all he’d do is toss the ball around with Charlie or Brandon. He didn’t have homework tonight and all he had to do was clean the garage. So he wanted to go out and play but Charlie was working. Brandon had a broken hand and was still mad at Noah and Noah was mad at him.

Noah decided to just play by himself. Noah was a talented kicker. On the land there were two trees next to each other that grew into a perfect Up-Right. Noah wanted to see how well he could kick today so he set up thirty yards away and kicked the ball through almost every time and he did it for hours that night. He kicked until he couldn’t see anymore. As Noah was getting the ball and walking into the house he sees a red light in the woods behind the Brown house.

The woods were miles thick and stretched into the mountains to the north and hardly anyone went in there, especially at night. Noah was scared.

He walked in the back door right before Charlie pulled in the drive way.
Noah threw the ball and tee in the closet and ran into the family room and quickly turned the TV on. Charlie walked in and asked “What did you do today?”
Noah with adrenaline rushing through him quickly responded “just watched TV all day”
Charlie went and took a shower and came out in his towel and went in the kitchen to get a soda and looked out the front window towards the Brown house.
“Noah…” Charlie said.
“Yeah?” Noah responded.
“Have you seen the new owner of the Ol’ house?” Charlie asked.
“No, why?” Noah responded.
“Just wondering, I think I’m gonna go over tomorrow and introduce myself, do you want to go?” Charlie asked.
“Not really” Noah said as he yawned.
“Okay, well I’m goin to bed, oh by the way, did you lock the garage after cleaning today?” Charlie asked.
“Yeah, good night.” Noah said as he yawned again.
“Good night” Charlie said and he went in his room and shut the door.

Noah turned the TV off and looked out the window and the red light flashed in the woods again.
“I must be seeing things” Noah convinced himself as he went into his room to go to bed.

This book has 22 comments. Post your own now!

Masey400 said...
Great plot concept. It sounds very interesting. I think you should have made the detailed descriptions more gradual-said the whole thing about the 17 year old kid having dreamed of leaving his whole live when he gets in a fight with his parents or something.

Ashley_Tucker said...
The entire first chapter was information overload. We don't need to know everyones life story before the actual story begins. Take your first paragraph for instance. Let us know this is all taking place in Black Arrow within the first page or two along with how much he hates the town. Towards the end of the first chapter let us find out that his parents died. That's heart renching stuff! But if I only know the boys name and where he is, how am I supposed to feel bad for him when you bring up tha... (more »)

DarkMountain said...
Good story! But way too much "telling", in my opinion. Every emotion, action, or aspect of the story was relayed through an "and then this happened" format, which is great for a certain audience. However, I'd work on more of a "showing" approach- it can tear down the barrier between story and reader, and gives it a more real feel. Still, I liked the story a lot. Good work.

Ewburt said...
Nov. 12, 2011 at 10:27 am
how did this get to #2 LOL

kitkat said...
I liked it. 3/10

KangarooHulabaloo said...
Cool story, I would just say that if you revise it, it will definitely be smoother

Azrael said...
it was gud and needed to sloe down a bit but i luved it :)

writerfreak21231This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
nightstalker part three, four, and five is now out! Go check it out if you liked the first and second! :)(:

Marlo said...
Aug. 13, 2011 at 11:01 am
Could have beenn better, man. It had its moments but overall felt lacking. Still liked it though.

Xxx B. said...
......woah.

Alec.M.Strong replied...
May 22, 2011 at 12:57 am
what do you mean woah?

fc barca 10 said...
what can I say about this story, AWESOME! keep writing! I can't wait to read your next work!

mac123 said...
Apr. 30, 2011 at 8:35 am
Best book I've read on here! awesome story! please keep writing!!!

Beautiful Jaz said...
this book was great, fascinating story and definetly a ending I didn't expect. Well done!

PJD17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great story! i love this kind of work  mystery genre is my favorite   Could you please take a look at and comment on my story Manso's Shame

Alec.M.Strong replied...
thank you! I'll get to it when I can i've got lots going on now but I will get to it! :D

vikingfan1018 said...
Thank you for the support!

Timekeeper This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
This is neat, it was cool to be able to read the entire thing all the way through, but it was a little short! I look forward to your next work!

Alec.M.Strong replied...
It is a bit short but it is a children's book, can't have it to long. I also plan to extend it a bit to add to the story. Thanks!

Blondi said...
Feb. 17, 2011 at 11:28 am
Good job, Alec!  You have a talent for building suspense, once I started, I couldn't stop reading.  I just had to know what came next.