New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

The Beholder

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next »

Chapter Six

The next morning I woke up startled from the sound of my alarm clock that was blaring in my ear. I reached out my hand and slammed my alarm clock making it shut up. I blinked my eyes for the hundredth time waiting for them to adjust to the small amount of sunlight that was leaking in my room through my window’s curtains that lit up my dim room.
As I sat up I found Sabbath curled up in a ball and was taking up half of my pillow, snoring silently next to me. I only vaguely remembered the strange dream I had last night until I saw a weird shiny piece of metal that was resting on the other side of the bed. I went over and grabbed it instantly remembering that this was the necklace I found in my dream. The only difference to this necklace was that the sun was missing and only contained the moon. Without hesitation I put it on. A huge rush of energy overwhelmed me, making me feel giddy with feelings of strength and power.
Looking over at the LED displayed on my alarm clock, it read 6:00 am, I decided to get out of bed and get ready for school. I got dressed and picked out a pair of dark blue skinny jeans with my favorite pink flowered tank top I had gotten from my parents last Christmas. Then I went into my bathroom and brushed my curly orange hair.
As I walked down the stairs, I thought of my mom. I missed waking up to the smell of my mother’s homemade blueberry muffins she used to make every Monday morning before my sister and I went to school. It was really quiet and I felt lonely while I ate my cereal. When I took the last bite of my Cheerios I got up and put my bowl in the sink. I went back upstairs to brush my teeth. As I walked back towards the kitchen, I grabbed my book bag.
Once I stepped outside I couldn’t believe how cold it was. It’s only the beginning of October, you would think it would be a little warmer than this! I put on my favorite Disney sweatshirt that was in my bag. I unlocked the door to my green truck and climbed in. As I started the car the engine roared to life. The drive to school wasn’t long. I parked my car in the parking lot and headed towards Livy and Ayden.
“Olivia!” Livy shrieked with joy as she ran over to me with open arms.
“Livy!” I yelled her name in laughter and greeted her with a hug.
“I missed you sooo much! I’m really sorry about what happened. I want you to know that I’ll always be here if you need to talk about anything, “She said with a genuine smile.
“Thanks Liv, that means a lot to me,” I said, returning a smile as all three of us walked off to our first period class together.
The day flew by and it was already the beginning of ninth period. Before I went to class I stopped by Livy’s locker, and waited for her to come back from her math class so we could walk to gym together. As usual, Livy looked upset walking towards her locker. Once again, her math teacher managed to put her in a bad mood.
“Ugh! I cannot STAND Mr. Morris!” She said as she threw her binders in her messy locker. Her math test landed at my feet exposing a fifty eight written on top in red ink. I bent down to pick it up and handed it to her.
“I mean, really! Why do I even try when I always bomb the tests he gives me?” She asked, more upset than angry, as she crumbled it up and threw it away as we walked down the hall.
“Aw Liv, it’s alright. Why don’t you try staying after with him? He might be more help then you think.” I said rubbing her back trying to comfort her.
“Ha! are you kidding me? That man scares me! You try staying after with him and I bet you will be saying the same thing!” She explained while opening the door to the locker room.
“You know what, I will! I’m going to stay after with you one of these days to give you moral support,” I said as I started to change into my gym clothes.
“Really? Thanks so much Olivia!” Her smile reached her eyes and shined with appreciation, that soon changed to absolute fear.
“Holly crap! What’s on your arm?” Livy said with a bewildered face. I looked down instantly realizing my marks were showing. Without a second thought I threw on my sweater over my gym shirt before anyone realized what kind of freak I turned into. “What are you talking about? I just got a cut from falling,” I replied while giving her a look that told her to shut her mouth, and walked out the door before she could say anything else.
As I started running the lap outside on the track I heard Livy’s feet behind me. “Seriously Olivia what happened? I promise I won’t tell anyone, I swear. Just please tell me!” Livy said once she finally caught up with me.
“Livy, I just got a tattoo that’s all!” I told her lying through my teeth. I really hated lying to Liv, and I really do trust her. It’s just this is something I know she would never be able understand and I’m not sure how well she would handle it if I told her the truth about what I think might be happening.
“Oh, wow, ha-ha, I feel so stupid. I should have known that… But it doesn’t look like any tattoo I have ever seen, where did you get it done?” She asked.
“Um, I got it done from one of my mom’s friends the day before…” I stopped and was about to say before the crash. “Just think about it still hurt.”
“Oh, well it looks pretty!” She replied breaking the short silence that passed between us. “Thanks.” I said smiling at the thought of my marks looking “pretty.”
Finally, after the bell rang, I ran back upstairs to my locker to grab my bag then started to leave out the bottle necked door. When I got into my car I turned on its engine. The truck sighed, waking up from its slumber. I drove up a half mile to the town and went inside of a gown store.
With the money I saved up, I bought the most stunning ball gown I had ever seen. The whole dress was long and made out of the prettiest color of emerald silk. It was tight at the top and started at the waist as it flowed down became puffy towards the bottom. On the back of the dress, there were dark purple laces crossing and overlapping themselves creating graceful looking x’s down the back. I am going to wear this dress for the Salamsville annual festival, I thought to myself as I purchased the gown. Our town started celebrating this festival every year since 1892 when the Camalot Assassin’s invaded and tried taking over the Salamsvill’s villages. The assassin’s failed and only managed to kill twenty people.

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
This is really intense, keep writing!

KaylaMc716This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 24, 2011 at 2:07 pm :
thank you :)