New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

The Beholder

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Next »

Chapter Five

jumped when I felt a cold icy hand grab my shoulder. This took me out of my surreal daydream causing me to scream like an idiot. I stood up and turned around real fast to see a familiar puzzled face staring back at me.
“Olivia calm down it’s just me!” Ayden said as he knelt down and grabbed my journal and put it in my bag.
“Gosh Ayden, don’t ever sneak up on me like that again! You almost gave me a heart attack!” I said as I leaned against the tree feeling a little lightheaded from standing up to fast.
“I’m sorry.” He said laughing while wrapping me into his arms giving me an affectionate hug. Pulling him closer towards me, I heard a little muffled noise coming from underneath his jacket. He smirked down at me as I stared at him with a confused expression.
“I thought this little guy might belong to you,” Ayden said as he winked at me and unzipped his jacket. My eyes danced when I saw a small dirty white ball of fur poke its head out and jump into my arms.
“Where did you find him?” I asked smiling happily, I was glad to see Sabbath again. I nuzzled my face against his fur.
“Well, I was just walking through the woods and found him near a log hissing at something. I wasn’t sure what it was. From a distance, it kind of looked like a woman was hunched over and was trying to pet him. As I got closer, nothing was there, only a shadow.” After he got done speaking there was a moment of silence that felt like it lasted forever.
“What did she look like?” I asked in a shaky voice.
“I’m not sure. Like I said it was probably just a shadow. Olivia, I’m sure it was nothing, just my mind playing tricks,” he said as he grabbed my hand and led me home. The sun was setting when we finally reached the steps of my Nana’s log cabin.
“Well I should get going, it’s getting late,” Ayden said as he kissed me on the cheek goodbye. I gave him a hug and walked into the house.
“Bye,” I said before closing the door. He turned around and waved. I locked the door and went into the kitchen to grab something to eat. Not in the mood to cook anything, I opened the fridge and grabbed the left over pizza I ordered from last night and put it on a plate.
Once I turned on the light I sat on the couch in the living room eating my cold pizza. As I was flipping through the channels I stopped and watched a new Criminal Minds. Half way through the show, my hand became really itchy and started to burn. I looked down at the hand that was holding the remote and found what looked like a colored in scar that started to move up my arm.
“Oh my God!” I shrieked freaking out and began to panic. I jumped off the couch and ran into the bathroom. Grabbing a wash cloth and a bar of soap I tried to scrub the strange marks off, failing miserably. I sat down on the toilet with the lid closed, and examined the marks closely realizing how similar it looked to the one I saw on the raven. Not knowing what else to do, I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and started to dial my nana’s number. Soon realizing the time difference, it was seven here and it was one in the morning there in England. I decided not to call. I hit the send button to call Ayden, instead he picked up the second time the phone rang.
“Hello?” Ayden answered.
“Hey Ayden, it’s Olivia, oh my God Ayden! You have to help me!”I exclaimed in a worried voice that broke into sobs.
“Olivia what’s wrong?” He asked in an alarmed voice.
“There’s something wrong with me, Ayden! I don’t know what’s going on with me! I…I have marks all on my arm. What….”
“Olivia calm down!” Ayden cut me off hearing the hysteria fill my voice.
“What am I going to do? It was that bird I tell you, it did this to me!” I cried and started to hyperventilate and it became hard to breath.
“Olivia, I’m coming over! I’ll be there in a little while.” Ayden sounded worried and hung up.
I stayed in that position gripping onto the toilet for support for a few minutes longer, trying my best to control my breathing by taking long deep breaths. There was a loud knock at my door. Once I finally got myself together, I got up slowly and paced my way down the hall towards the door. I opened the door and found a nervous looking Ayden standing at my footsteps and ushered him in.
“Okay first let’s start from the beginning. What bird are you talking about?” Ayden asked out of breath as I grabbed his coat from him and hung it on the coat rack.
“Come in the kitchen with me I’ll get you a cup of water and I’ll explain.” I said as he followed. I sat down at the kitchen table and gave him his drink.
“Alright… you know about the accident, right?” It wasn’t really a question but he nodded anyways.
“Well, right before the paramedics found me, I saw this bird. It landed on me. It had the same print on its body that I have on my arm now.” I said as I showed him the marks that were on my hand and those up my entire arm. Ayden grabbed my arm from across the table and looked at it. He looked away from my strangely weird colored in swirls and gave me a, you-should- really-see-a-doctor kind of look and he said, “You should really see a doctor!” I rolled my eyes at him.
“It’s not that easy, Ayden! I mean come on, what am I suppose to say? Um, excuse me doctor but I think I’ve been marked by a bird!? They’ll think I’m crazy and send me directly to the loony bin!” I explained with obvious annoyance. With a sigh, he nodded in agreement. “You’re right. Well you should at least try to cover it up. Don’t worry Olivia, we’ll figure it out!” He paused for a moment and grabbed my hand while whispering. “I promise”.
After Ayden left, I went upstairs and got ready for bed. Right when my head hit the pillow, I was out like a light. I began to have the most bizarre dream. I saw a portal appear out of nowhere and was bursting with life as the shimmering light leaked through it. When I stepped into it the portal sucked me in, and disappeared out of sight. I found myself dazed as I was floating up above the clouds, leading me towards a group of spirits that looked lost and confused. In the middle of the lost ones, a lady that looked like a goddess stood. She seemed to be glowing radiantly. My breath was taken away and I was astonished by how beautiful she looked. She had a fair complexion and her golden locks looked perfect against her white dress that exposed only a little bit of her shoulders. It had the prettiest shade of blue at the hem of her dress. In her hands she held a necklace. It was the shape of a sun with a moon intertwined with it.
Both of the mysterious figures had faces etched in them. The sun wore a smile while it looked as if it was protecting and shielding the saddened moon. She ejected the necklace into the air. I threw out my hands and tried to catch the medallion, watching as it slipped through my hands and was falling peacefully through the heavens.

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
This is really intense, keep writing!

KaylaMc716This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 24, 2011 at 2:07 pm :
thank you :)