New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

The Beholder

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Next »

Chapter Four

The plane was falling fast through the sky. In a blink of an eye it hit the ground. Flames of fire were flying everywhere, devouring everything that was in its path. Everywhere I looked there were dead bodies surrounding me. I was holding my sister’s hand when the plane was dragging us down towards the ground. When I turned my head I found her hand was still in mine but her body lay limp. I let out an ear piercing scream and my vision became blurred from the tears that were starting to fill my eyes. My stomach began to turn. I looked up towards the darkened sky and away from my sister’s face.
I saw the raven with a symbol that was painted with the most beautiful tint of lilac I had ever seen that formed a frame around its face that looked like it was wearing a mask. The design traced its way all the way down its back and spread onto its feathers. The bird landed right below my chest and stared eerily into my eyes. A sudden burst of warmth spread all over me; it started at my feet and worked its way up the rest of my body. Before I blacked out from the significant loss of blood, I could see a flashlight that was being pointed in my direction.” Help,” I said repeatedly in a soft raspy voice that soon grew in strength. I felt as if I was detached from my body. Once I finally looked down I found myself floating over my own body and watched as the paramedics carried me into one of the ambulances.
When I woke up I found myself laying in one of the hospitals beds with a massive headache. It felt like my head was about to split in half. Instantly, my hand flew up towards my throbbing head to find that it had been bandaged. I sat up and propped my head up against the pillow while leaning over to grab the remote, I winced in pain. A quick stab of pain shot through the side of my ribs. I looked under the covers and pulled my shirt up just a little to find another set of bandages.
“That’s just great,” I mumbled to myself as I began flipping through the channels. When I finally gave up trying to find something good to watch, I started to watch a rerun of Full House. I could hear footsteps down the hall, a woman’s voice talking to someone. Soon after there was a little tap on my door.
“Can I come in?” The woman’s voice followed right after. I looked up and found a petite lady with dark brown hair wearing her nurse uniform and a genuine smile. I forced a smile in return as I nodded.
“Hi Olivia, I'm Mrs. Ava. How are you feeling? Do you have any pain sweetie?"
"Um, I'm okay I guess...Just a little confused and I’m in A LOT of pain," I said as I looked up and met her light hazel eyes.
“Alright Hun, I’ll get you some more medicine to ease the pain. Now what are you confused about?” Mrs. Ava asked with obvious concern written on her face.
“W…Where is my dad and my sister?” I replied stumbling over my words. Melancholy washed over her face as she took my hands.
“Oh dear, I thought you knew! I’m so sorry honey but your family didn’t make it.” Her voice was full of sorrow and sympathy. Once the truth finally set in, I realized that this was no dream, that it was actually my hellish nightmare called reality. My heart felt as if it dropped into the pit of my stomach. The last two people in my life that I loved more than anything were now gone. I knew without my family, my life was destroyed; the girl who once felt like she belonged felt lost and broke into a world of hurt. My sobs broke the silence.
“Aw, sweetie, ssh everything will be alright,” she said as she embraced me in a motherly way. Caressing me like a little child, she let me cry on her shoulder. I felt like I was going to be sick and ran to the bathroom.

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
This is really intense, keep writing!

KaylaMc716This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 24, 2011 at 2:07 pm :
thank you :)