New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

The Beholder

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next »

Chapter Three

I was running through the woods. My body was entwined with the trees as the branches kept scratching my skin and pulling at my clothes. The shadows of the dainty trees were like a blanket that surrounded me that only let some of the sun light leak through it. The sound of the uncanny cawing from the raven up above me echoed. The eerie noise reminded me that I was being watched. The same raven has been following me ever since the accident. I looked up at the sky trying to see where the raven was, but I was blinded by the sun and I tripped over a root that was poking out of the ground.
I stumbled to my feet and felt a pain in my shin. I got up and walked across the gravel stone road over towards a fancy looking metal gate and sat on top of the rock that lay beside it. As I rolled up my pants, it revealed a line that was bleeding scarlet. With a sigh, I unrolled my jeans and pushed the black gate open just enough for me to squeeze through. While I was wandering down the path I heard a little muffled noise come from a withered bush along the road. I knelt down next to it and poked whatever was inside with a stick I found laying next to my foot. Instantly a cat jumped out from underneath the bush and ran off hissing. I found Sabbath, my Nana white cat that she wanted me to watch while she went to visit her brother up in England.
I followed Sabbath into a graveyard, until finally he stopped out of breath near a gravestone with the Adrina Cross engraved into it. Sabbath kept squirming in my hands and was practically climbing up my chest. I held him tighter in my hands feeling his little heart beating fast, and moved him closer towards my face. As I was looking into his sapphire eyes, I could see a dark outlined figure of a woman’s body forming, turning Sabbath’s eyes so dark they looked like two giant black holes. I turned around fast half expecting to see a women standing behind me. Nobody was there; instead Sabbath began to hiss while his hair stood straight up. My hands started to tremble and I lost my grip. Sabbath had gotten away and once again disappeared far into the trees.
Sitting down on the cold damp grass underneath a weeping willow tree with a disgruntled little sigh, I realized that I was alone. I took advantage of the stillness and closed my eyes trying hard to collect my thoughts. Even though I knew nobody was around me, I still had a creepy feeling that I was being watched. Slowly I found myself consumed with my thoughts and began to doze off into a quiet meditation. I inhaled the cool autumn air that mixed sweetly with the scent of pine trees in the woods. I exhaled slowly, feeling the stress instantly release from my shoulders. I stayed in that position for a few minutes, and then reluctantly opened my eyes. I reached over to grab my bag that was resting against the other tree to my right. I watched as the tree’s branches shook in the wind and shaded its colorful leaves that gently fell to the ground. I got a hold of my journal and flipped through the pages realizing I haven’t written in my journal since last month.
Once I finally found the next clean page I started to write about the plane crash that was the cause of my family’s death, and my near death experience. We were on our way back from seeing our relatives that live in Pennsylvania. My family died along with all the other passengers that were on board. Unfortunately I was the only passenger that survived. How did the plane crash? What makes me so special that I was I the only traveler that survived? Why didn’t God take my soul along with all the others? These are only a few of the questions I ask myself knowing that nobody has the answers. It has almost been two long unbearable weeks that I have been living without the comfort of my parents. I am left feeling completely alone.
As I was writing it felt as if someone has punctured a hole right into my heart, which made it hard to breath. I didn’t just lose my family, I also lost a part of myself that I will never be able to find again…the feeling of being able to move on. I’m thankful to at least I have my nana. We’re really close! She has always been the person who I could confide in and tell her anything, knowing she won’t judge me or think I’m crazy like my friends do. Unlike the others, she understands me, and makes me feel normal. Still spooked from the shadow I saw in Sabbath’s eyes, I jumped when I heard a noise coming from the tree near me. As I looked up at the branches I spotted the raven and found myself lost in a flashback.

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
This is really intense, keep writing!

KaylaMc716This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 24, 2011 at 2:07 pm :
thank you :)