New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Wandering Soul

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next »

The Connection

Hands rummaged in toppled and singed garbage cans; eyes searched frantically for anything that could be called edible, but all in vain.
“There can’t be no food,” Natalya complained.
“We’re going about this wrongly. We need to scour the forest or something if we’re hoping for something to eat. I could find a couple of berries. We could eat insects.”
“But—“
“Natalya, it’s our only option.” David’s grey eyes tried intently to convince her, and
This chapter is short, but I just wanted to show more about David and Natalya, and I couldn't really think of anything more to add. Please tell me what you think!
I saw her will crumbling. “Come on. It won’t be anything too disgusting. We used to do this in boy scouts all the time.”
I followed them slowly, lingering behind while David talked about some of his adventures. For some reason, I didn’t really want to hear. If he’d been talking to me, I would have been all over him, trying to remember every word he told me because I loved the sound of his voice.
But he wasn’t speaking to me.
The sound of Natalya’s laughter drifted towards me, and I was confused as to how they could even smile in their situation. But then again, they weren’t a soul without a body, longing to be seen again. I would reverse Justin’s experiment, no matter the consequences. If David knew I was alive, life wouldn’t be so bland anymore.
I finally let myself catch up to them.
“…never understood you and Justin,” David was saying.
Natalya blushed in the heat. “Right,” She whispered.
I reached out to her mentally, trying to express my concern. What could she be going through? I knew they had been close. What had Natalya been suffering as she had to listen to David complain about losing me? What could she be thinking, with Justin out of her life forever? They’d been close…
“You don’t have to say anything, if you don’t want to,” David said.
Natalya’s smile looked forced. “I don’t mind. Justin was… something of a mystery to me when I first met him. We were kind of forced to hang out at first, what with you and Rose always wanting to be alone. And then… I don’t know. It happened so gradually that I didn’t even realize I was falling for him.”
“How long?” David asked, mirroring my thoughts.
“Just a few weeks. We weren’t sure what was going on, but we had planned to tell you the night you got back… That is, before the world…” Natalya shrugged painfully. I couldn’t help the sorrow rising in my imagined chest, and the hurt I would feel in my throat if I had been in my body.
David nodded in understanding and brushed his hand against some plants. “I would have thought the plants would be more… destroyed, if you know what I mean.”
“They withstood the wrath of the human race,” Natalya said, a hint of melodrama in her voice.
David laughed and plucked a berry from a nearby tree, popping it in his mouth. “This is good. Try one.”
Natalya looked skeptical as she took a few, chewing slowly. “A little bit sour… But good enough. There’s not point in complaining.”
“Let’s go back to the school.”
“Back?” Natalya looked a bit frightened at the prospect.
“Why not?”
She gulped visibly, and I wondered why she would balk at the idea, especially since she was so sure there were survivors. Natalya shrugged. “Okay. Let’s go.”
“Wait, I want to know why you don’t want to go.”
“It’s… I mean, think about it. I don’t want to face it. It’ll just remind me. Here, it’s so much more unrealistic. I know it’s stupid. Don’t judge me. I’m just not ready.”
David looked relieved, but he said softly, “We’re going to have to face it eventually.”
Natalya nodded. “Let’s just not make that day today.”

With their bellies somewhat filled, Natalya and David went back to perch atop their rocks. I longed for the day they would be ready to go back to the school. They would need to enter the exhibition, and they would need to understand that my body still lived.
Only then would I be satisfied.
I wanted to travel to the exhibition myself, as if I were living in the world of a computer game and I needed to turn back to reality, to my real self, my body. But I didn’t feel ready either. Besides, it wouldn’t do me any good.
So I stayed some more and let myself watch Natalya and David, the two people I cared the most about in this lost and lonely world.
“If anyone should have survived the blast, it should have been Rose,” Natalya said.
I always perked up at the sound of my name. It seemed to come up in every conversation. With a shake of my invisible head, I wished I could knock the backs of the two survivors’ heads. “I’m alive!” I said. “What do you think I’m doing here?”
Natalya went on, “It’s almost as if I can feel her, you know? And I can feel her judging me. She was my best friend. She knew me better than I did, and I just… I don’t want to disappoint her.”
“You’re not disappointing her,” David said. “Why do you even think that?”
The words caught in Natalya’s throat; I could tell by the way she seemed a bit flustered and had to clear her throat before continuing. She was right, though. I did know her well. “I feel like she knows my every thought. It’s just… scary to think about.”
David gave her a tight smile. “Don’t worry too much.”
Natalya giggled to herself and swung her hair over one side. “So much for our freshman year at college. How did you enjoy yours?”
“Um… I loved every moment of it.”
“So did I. It was much more different than I thought it would be.”
“In what way?”
Natalya gave David a look as if to say, really? I actually need to explain this to you? But she said anyway, “You watch all those old movies about people finally going off to college, and they get drunk and party and do stupid stuff. I guess I thought it would be like that for me. Only… it wasn’t.”
“I think I see what you mean.”
“Yeah. It was more of a wake up call,” Natalya said, her excitement growing. “My parents… Well, I love them, but they could be a bit much. They didn’t approve of my choices. They always told me to never choose sports over grades. But I did. It was my passion. When I was in high school, my parents had more control. They almost made me change my mind.”
“About choosing sports over grades?”
Natalya nodded. “Then I came here. Everyone has goals, you know? My love for sports only got challenged with the competition, but I got to love it even more because of that. I think I would have liked to join the Olympics one day.”
“That’s a pretty good goal,” David said. I wasn’t sure if it was out of kindness or because he was simply speaking the truth when he said, “You would have won first prize all the time.”
Natalya put her face in her arms and shook her head. “That’s why my parents were so annoyed.” She looked up again. “They knew that, for me, it was always about the glory of being the best. And I can’t just deny it. They’re completely right. But I just can’t help it.”
“It’s nothing to be ashamed about. I mean, look at me. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. At least you had a goal. At least you had somewhere to go.”
“You don’t see it, do you?”
“See what?” David’s confusion almost astounded me, even.
Natalya explained, “You didn’t have a huge goal to follow, one that you’d envisioned about every night to put yourself to sleep. I did. And now, that dream is shattered. It’s gone forever, because the world is over. There may be survivors, but until we find them, we’re stuck. Do you see what I mean?”
“My loss isn’t as great as yours,” David admitted reluctantly.
Natalya looked a little bit sheepish, as if she hadn’t meant to bring up any hurt, but I understood where she came from and even I had to say to myself quietly, “Perhaps my loss isn’t as great as yours either, Natalya.”
Natalya lifted her brown eyes to look at me. Or, rather, through me, and it was as if, in that split second, we came to an understanding. And then her puzzled eyes dropped to stare at the ground and our connection was lost.

DaylightDarkness said...
Jul. 5, 2011 at 12:50 am:
this is really really good! Normally im not that interested in sci-fi but I definately like this one! great job, im hungry for more!

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 5, 2011 at 3:49 pm :
Thanks! :)

DaylightDarkness replied...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 11:39 am :

I read more, Chapter 3 now, I really really like this. Its a concept I haven't seen before, and it's a really adult one, written in the teenage point of veiw. I can't wait to see what Rose (hehe) will do next, or if the others will sense her, or find more survivors. The more I read the more I like this.

The ONE thing I will say, and I say this to a lot of people so it might be just me, but I wish there was a little more character developement... I think it would help a little. Rose so ... (more »)

Jul. 11, 2011 at 3:14 pm :
Alright! I'll definitely work more on character development. Thanks so much for the great feedback! :) I'm so glad you like it.

TheSilverLaurel said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 12:26 pm:
this is really good, but the 927 part could have been made a bit more obvious (typed it on her phone to remeber?) but the rest is really well written. :)

Jul. 2, 2011 at 6:51 pm :
Yeah, maybe. I kind of wanted it to be mysterious, like 'oh! what a coincidence!' kind of thing, but it doesn't have much of an impact if it's not clear. So thanks! I'll try to do that! :)

xelawriter97This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 9:01 pm:
I really liked this!!!! It's interesting... great job! :-)

Jul. 2, 2011 at 9:45 am :
Thanks! :)

IncorrectlyWired said...
Jun. 30, 2011 at 2:28 pm:
Okay, I'm finally done, and I'm bummed that you're not. I really want this resolved, which means that you've done a good job. I only noticed two small grammatical errors. One was "Us in the news industry" should be "We int the news industry." There was one other thing in the third chapter... but I lost it. :P Anyway, this was really good, and really intriguing.

Jun. 30, 2011 at 3:59 pm :
Okay, I'll keep that mistake in mind and change it. I'm planning on rereading this story and gain inspiration to begin writing the next chapter. I've written the ending, actually, but I kind of need to fill the middle. Thanks for the feedback! :)

IncorrectlyWired said...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 11:11 am:
Well, I definitely want to keep reading, but right now I've only read the first chapter. First of all, how does 9, 3, and 7 spell "war"? And second, is it 9,3,7 or 9,2,7? You wrote both on accident. There were a few other small awkward parts, but I can't remember them. :P Anyway, so far, so good! I'll wait to rate it till I'm done. I'll also probably post another comment.

Jun. 28, 2011 at 9:29 pm :
Well, the 927/937 thing was a mistake. (I mentioned it in a reply to someone else.) It's supposed to be 927. And I don't know if you have those phones where each number has three or four letters to it, but 927 does spell 'war'. I checked. Yeah, the awkward parts... For the record, I didn't edit the first chapter at all when I posted it. I just really liked the idea I was on to, so. But I promise, the next few chapters are written much better. Anyway, I'd love another comment. (Just trying to cle... (more »)

IncorrectlyWired replied...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 12:05 am :
Okay, I also was unsure as to which code you were using... I had thought it was the 1=A 2=B etc... Thank you for cleaing that up! I shall read the rest, I really am interested, I just have a limited time on the computer, so it might take me a while. :/

Jun. 29, 2011 at 11:54 pm :
You're right about the code. I probably should've made that a littler clearer. And take your time. I'm glad for any feedback anytime. I don't want to rush you or anything. :)

writerthinkerdreamer said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 7:48 am:
This is great! I really love it...  :) Write more!

Jun. 26, 2011 at 10:06 am :
I will! Thanks. :)

SilverspeakInkpen said...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 10:57 pm:
This is amazing....I want to say wonderful job!...

Jun. 26, 2011 at 1:06 am :
Is it really?? Thank you! That means a lot. :)

TwasBrilling said...
Jun. 23, 2011 at 9:50 pm:
This is GREAT! I loved the plot line (sci-fi is one of my fav genres) and, the writing was superb!

Jun. 24, 2011 at 11:06 am :
Thank you so much! :)

Medina D. said...
Jun. 17, 2011 at 1:44 pm:
for something written on the spot, this is not bad at all. In the first chapter or two, i would just suggest about the dialogue----i didnt think it sounded like people in college (like Natalya squealing, for example) but then i thought: well its their FIRST year in college so i guess their dialogue is alright. This story just completely sucked me into another world. I can practically FEEL Rose's loneliness as i read it. Also dont worry about your last chapter being so short---the first 3 were a ... (more »)