Stolen

Kestrel135
Stolen
Summary: Contact was subtle. An inkling of something strange, but the knowledge that the oddity was merely imagination; but it wasn't just imagination. Once you start to believe that it is there, it starts to seep inside you. Once it is inside, it starts to whisper, and you can only listen. And then it steals you.
Unless you can fight back.
But by fighting you realize what it truly is. By fighting you realize that it is only following instinct; by fighting you realize that everything was a mistake.
By fighting, you make escape impossible.
By fighting, you destroy yourself.

This book has 12 comments. Post your own now!

IMSteelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 17 at 9:28 am
Very interesting, this got me thinking more than a story has in a long time. It almost reads like one of Ray Bradbury's ponderous statements, I love it! Keep writing!

Kestrel135This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sep. 29 at 8:57 pm
I'm so sorry I didn't get to this earlier - somehow I missed multiple comments in July. But I'm still overjoyed that you found it provocative; that's the whole reason I wrote it. Thank you so much for your comments!

Liv.HarrisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 19 at 6:03 pm
I love the philosophical aspect of this story, (partly because I study philosophy, and partly becuase I study Neuroscience) a nd thought this was a very unique piece, especially if you take the layout into account, it's very cool. :) I hope you keep writing, because I love reading your work. CX

Jun. 20 at 5:44 pm
Yay! Thank you so much. It's really reassuring that there's a good crowd out there for this sort of work - this is my first story centered entirely on philosophy. I'm glad you liked it! Thanks!

GhostBeam said...
Apr. 6 at 5:59 pm
It blew my mind, I liked it alot. ^_^

Apr. 7 at 5:12 pm
Thanks! 

Dujjo said...
Apr. 2 at 4:23 pm
Wow, my mind was whirling in 50 different directions. I looove philosiphy and find it extremely interesting. I love how you had his desire to steal take form and have conversations with his "victim" It was really good and well written to, I hope more people read this because that was really good!!!

Apr. 2 at 8:23 pm
Yes, a philosipher! I'm so glad that you liked it, and I was hoping that it would be intruing and send your mind off to do a little excavation. I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

MegaSock said...
Feb. 20 at 10:36 pm
[Really long review, sorry] I take it that the "Stolen" was taken because the Thief claimed he wanted to survive. He steals to survive, because he wants to know if some believe in him. He likes to hear the opinion of others, and speculates by negating them, or conveying his thoughts. The Stolen may not believe, but he still contradicts. Though he trapped himself when he realized he was becoming reliant on attention and need for realization. In the end, though he was a Thief, he wants... (more »)

Feb. 21 at 12:32 pm
I'm so glad you like my work! I find that a lot of peopel are repelled by philosophy under the illusion that it is dull and unmeaningful; when really, it explains how everything - people and the universe alike - work together in ways that are so beautifully abstract. I wrote this after reading the finale to the Ender's Game series (by the highly respected author Orson Scott Card, who seems to live and breath philosophy in his books) and tried to express the deep concepts in a simple way.... (more »)

Carly_ElizabethThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 15 at 8:47 pm
I read the first three chapters and I like it a lot. I love how unique this is and I admire you for it. Although it is kind of hard to follow along without any background knowlegde of the characters. I know you left it to the reader to interpret it how they will, but I think you left it a little too open for interpretation. Again I am baffled at the originality of this book, but there's not enough background knowlegde to read this easily. I'm sure if I read more than I'll understand ... (more »)

Feb. 16 at 2:15 pm
Thank you! I do agree that it has almost no background information, which is necessary. I was originally going to have the first chapter be an introduction for a real storyline, which I may still do, to give that info. But then I grew curious of the characters I had created, and started going along and making their orginially short conversation much longer, which is the book you see here. I'm glad you like it; it's more of a philisophhical message than a real novel. And try not to get yo... (more »)