Fabula Imperium (Story of Power)

Author's note: This is an idea that I've been kicking around for a while. I hope you get a few laughs out of it, at least.
Author's note: This is an idea that I've been kicking around for a while. I hope you get a few laughs out of it, at least.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 Next »

Novo

Novo (Chapter 2)
Arcus came to about thirty seconds later. He groaned, rubbed his head, and sat up. He felt sore all over. His entire body was tingling. When he opened his eyes, he didn’t believe what he was seeing. He was in a completely different place. He stood up and looked around. He saw trees all around him, and he was standing in what looked like a park. He recognized this park… no, it couldn’t be. It looked like Venustas Park, in Arcis City. But that was across the country! It
More plot unveiled...
didn’t make any sense. His blood chilled. He remembered something else. This was where his father… Stop it, Arcus said mentally. Don’t think about that. He decided not to focus on that right now.
Mila, Max, Leo, Annie, Sage, and Shadix were all about ten feet away from each other on the ground. Arcus seemed to be fine, but the concrete around him was messed up. There was a giant crater around him to the point where it looked like a bomb had gone off, except he was standing on what looked like a short pillar of untouched concrete. He noticed something else… there were people all around him, lying on the ground. There were so many it was hard to count them all. The park he was standing in must have been a popular destination. The people were probably unconscious, he reasoned… although he knew he was just trying to reassure himself. He slid down the edge of the crater and eventually woke each of them up.
“Ugh… my head. What WAS that?” asked Leo.
“Search me,” grumbled Arcus. He finally got them to their feet. They climbed up over the edge onto the pavement. That was when HE showed up. What looked like a small black hole suddenly opened in front of them. They all backed up quickly. The hole collapsed, and a strange figure appeared. The man was wearing a white hooded cloak, like something from Assassin’s Creed. (What?... yeah, yeah, yeah, breaking the fourth wall and all that.) He spoke.
“Hey guys, what’s up? ...Isn’t that what you kids are saying these days?” His deep voice sounded friendly.
Shadix, Max, and Mila elbowed Arcus before he could say anything. Mila stepped forward. “Who are you? How did we get here? Why are all these people unconscious? …And why is THAT there?” she said, pointing at the crater with the pillar in the middle.
“All in due time… Mila,” Aston said.
She stepped back. “How do you know my name?” she demanded.
“Oh, I have been watching you all for a very long time. I have to say, it’s been fascinating. But to answer your first question... My name is Aston Exitium. How did you get here? Well… that’s a little harder,” The man we now know to be Aston admitted. “As to why they are unconscious… well, they aren’t. I have the answers to all your questions, and more. No doubt you feel stronger than before… you do, don’t you?”
Arcus knew what he was talking about. There was no way he should’ve survived an explosion powerful enough to blow a ten foot crater in the walkway. There was DEFINITELY no way he should’ve just gotten up and walked away after. He felt stronger as well. His mind was more… acute than it was ten minutes ago.
“Yes… you are feeling the effects. You are also stronger than you were in a different way. For example, Arcus… you remember your parents, of course,” Aston said.
Arcus clenched his fists until they turned white. He silently seethed at how this person seemed to know about them. “You remember your father, don’t you? He left you, abandoning you and your mother, didn’t he?” Aston continued.
Arcus was infuriated. “Don’t. Talk. About. My. Father. Like. That.” Arcus hissed. “Yes,” Aston continued. “He never really loved you, of course. He was HAPPY to be stationed here.” Aston goaded. Arcus was about to punch him in the face, when Aston dared to make one last comment. “He couldn’t stand you… EITHER of you.”
“That’s IT!” Aston shouted. He sprinted toward him, fist raised. He was going to rearrange that jerk’s face, when he noticed something. His fist… it was… “Electrified?” He whispered, uncomprehending. He stopped. Miniature lightning bolts were running up and down his arm. In fact, they were running THROUGH his arm, almost like he was conducting it. Obviously Arcus knew that the human body could conduct electricity, just not on THAT level.
“Ah yes… elecrokinesis. I should’ve guessed,” Aston mused.
Arcus stopped staring at his arm and looked at Aston. “What… what happened to me back there?” Arcus took another step toward him.
“You know what this is, don’t you?” he asked angrily, shaking his electro-fist at him. “Oh, yes. In fact, I’m very much like you,” Aston looked around to Arcus’ friends. “ALL of you,” he said. “You don’t know it yet, but each of you has powers of their own. You just need to figure out what they are. I myself could increase your power tenfold,” he boasted. “But only if you join me. With your power combined with mine, we could take control of this planet, and wipe these unworthy humans off the face of the earth! We are the future. We are… imperials ,” he concluded .
Arcus didn’t know what to think. What he was saying sounded insane. But then again, he would sound pretty insane if he told someone that he could make electricity come out of his arm. Max looked at the group, then back at Aston. Max started to walk in his direction, until he was at Aston’s side.
“Well?” Max demanded. “You coming or what? World domination seems like a pretty sweet idea to me.”
Sage took a deep breath, and went out to Max’s side. “He’s right, you know,” she said. “It does sound pretty sweet.”
Mila was shaking her head. “Sage, think about what you’re doing!” she said insistently. “I already have,” Sage replied, “and my answer is yes.”
Arcus heard police sirens in the distance. Aston looked annoyed. “Well?” he asked.
“Come on!”
Arcus was the first to speak. “No.”
Aston looked quizzical. “No? What do you mean, no?”
“It’s not right,” Arcus argued. “What have they ever done to us, that we should wipe them off the face of the earth?”
Aston clenched his jaw. “Consider your decision, Arcus. If you are not with me, then you are against me ,” he said tightly.
“I’ve already considered, and MY answer is no. I refuse,” Arcus declared. The police sirens were close now.
Aston seemed to be disappointed. “So be it,” he said. “Next time…” he remarked ominously. He snapped his fingers, the black hole appeared again. Max, Sage, and Aston disappeared.
“Friggin’ showoff,” Arcus muttered. Police cars swerved around the corner, and barreled towards the friends who were left. Just as it seemed it was about to hit them, it screeched to a halt. Two officers climbed out of the car, pulled out their pistols, and yelled “Freeze!”
They froze. One officer said, “Sir, put down the weapon if you know what’s good for you!” Arcus didn’t know what they were talking about. Then he realized his arm was still electrified. It must’ve looked like a cattle prod or a tazer to them.
“Stand down, Williams,” said a woman’s voice. She must’ve been pretty influential, because he obeyed immediately. She got out of the other police car and walked up to them. “Sorry about that, he’s not the trusting type,” she said, while she glared at the officer. She turned her attention to Arcus. They were about the same height. “We got a call of suspicious activity, involving someone named Aston Exitium,” she said. “He’s a wanted fugitive from the government,” she continued. “My name is Mariam Dolosus.”. She offered to shake Arcus’ hand. He just cocked an eyebrow at her. She pulled her hand back. “Right. Bad idea. Don’t want to get electrocuted. Anyway, I know what happened to you, and I also know someone who can help you. I have a friend named Mark Callidus. He’s a forensic scientist, very involved in police cases, and he studies mutation as sort of a side project. The only reason I know about it is because he spouts off about his discoveries to anyone he meets. He has answers for you, for example, like why you have fifty thousand volts running through your arm right now,” she proposed.
Arcus looked at his friends, and then looked back at her. “How do we know we can trust you?” he asked skeptically.
She shrugged. “You can’t,” she admitted.
Arcus paused. “Seems legit,” he said.
“Get in a car, and I’ll take you to him,” she said, gesturing for the drivers to unlock the car doors. “He knows all about people like you.”

PenOnParchmentThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 17 at 3:31 am:
It's a cool story, and definitely something i could see myself buying and reading! The characters are interesting-especially some of their names!- and so's the storyline. I really loved the summary too, it definitely was inspired!

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:35 am:
A very capturing story line is going on that reminds me or X-men or something. Very good. I wanted to know more.

. said...
Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:02 am:
If your story's not going through here, there's a teen writing site called Figment where you can post books without delay. It's pretty cool and there's lots of people offering feedback there.

Crunchman99This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:59 pm :
Thanks for the advice, I might have to try that. The thing is, I've halted posting for a while because I want some feedback on Aegis Infernum first. For everyone else; it's on my page, and I would like to know if you want to see that first, or the ending of this one first.

Crunchman99This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Okay, about not posting anything in the last month... Well, TeenInk is kind of screwing me here. I've posted something completely new, but they won't validate it, either on purpose or by some fluke. Something is coming; don't worry. It might just take a while to get there.

IMSteelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I like the original names, the and the story.  It was pretty well written, the dialogue needs a little work, it's somewhat abrubt and not very believable.  The notes that yout put in the story I kind of don't like, if you use notes, you should have some kind of a sybole beside the parragraph, and then at the bottom of the page, write the notes.  Otherwise a fine book. 

MayaS. said...
Chapters 20-21: I feel guilty about the comment-per-chapter wall spam I've been doing, so I'll start lumping chapters together. These chapters were really suspenseful and the point-of-view changing was fluid and well-written. It was a tad confusing what Arcus does in Chapter 21 when he's down (uses his electric powers to melt the bullet in midair, causing the molten metal?) Sorry again about the comment clutter

CammyS said...
Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:48 am:
I really liked it, even though it didn't really, in my opinion, have a proper ending. Are there more than 19 chapters? I don't ever really know what's up with Milla. What is her power? And  I could tell that your Leo was exactly the same as the one in Percy Jackson. His character is identical, as well as his name and backstory. Good story- tell me when there is more!

Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:40 am :
That's funny, I never even thought about Leo being that similar. Now that you point it out, they're basically carbon copies of each other. It must've been my subconscious or something. Of course there are more chapters, but writing has been put on hold for the moment. You know... Halo 4 and some other stuff :)

MayaS. said...
Chapter 19: Aw so mysterius! I have many questions, which was the intent of this chapter, but my only techincal-writing question is, does Arcus speak Latin? I'm sorry to say I don't know what he's quoting... I can't wait for more of this story!

Dec. 17, 2012 at 10:03 pm :
Okay, seriously, when is TeenInk going to validate my new submission already?! Sorry for the delay, expect something totally new coming soon. Well, hopefully soon. It's been like a week, maybe two.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 18 (or 19) Praeteritus Fulgur: Oh snap. You must keep these cool powers coming!! "Percy and Jason...."  *chuckles* good show.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 17: Compared to the rest, Mila's portrait seemed just a tad underdeveloped. I think it would be cool for her to practice with her powers like Annie, Shadix, and Leo were doing. Has she ever seen the ocean? (That was kind of random but it might make for an interesting flashback-character-development-thingy)

MayaS. said...
Chapter 16: My question for this chapter is, why was Leo bullied? He's so nice.... Once again, the last line!!! I love the running joke.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 15: Shadix is definately relatable. I'm just wondering...why is his power over shadows, and why is he goth? Also I laughed on the last line.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 14: this was a pretty sweet change in perspective, and definately the best chapter so far. Annie has just about every teenager's dream power- actual air guitar. But I liked how you took that and the scene evolved into a reflection about her family to the violin to the birds to her friends. The last line, "hoping against hope," was kind of cliche but that was miniscule.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 13: Do you think that if Arcus were to go out and about, he would put on a disguise? That might be pretty funny. I liked this chapter, especially the descriptions of skyscrapers. I'm starting to wonder why the bad guys have been so quiet. Too quiet....

MayaS. said...
Chapter 12: Sidus Bellum. Heh...

MayaS. said...
Sorry, that one was for Chapter 11.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 10: This chapter was a nice change of pace; and the vivid descriptions of their powers made a nice movie in my head