New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Fabula Imperium (Story of Power)

Author's note: This is an idea that I've been kicking around for a while. I hope you get a few laughs out of it, at least.
Author's note: This is an idea that I've been kicking around for a while. I hope you get a few laughs out of it, at least.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 Next »

Occursus

Occursus (Chapter 2)
Arcus Wheeler strolled through the mall, his hands in his pockets and whistling. To tell you the truth, he almost looked like someone who had just committed a crime and was playing dumb. His slightly uncooperative blond hair was sticking up a little in the back, but otherwise it was perfect. His sharp electric blue eyes scanned the hallway, presumably looking for something in particular. He was wearing his trademark Areopostale sweatshirt over a blue t-shirt, along with jeans, of course. He looked down at his watch. “Twelve thirty already?” he murmured to himself. He knew he was going to be late, and there was nothing he could do about it. Then again, he would probably be fine. It was the ‘probably’ part that gave him unease. He kept looking. Twelve thirty-one. After a couple minutes, he finally found the food court. He spotted his target, and leisurely walked to the table. He sat down.
“Where have you been?” asked Mila Aquis, his friend-who-happened-to-be-a-girl. Her short dark hair did a small swooshing motion when she moved her head. She brushed one side back behind her ear. Her softer blue eyes bored into his. Luckily, she didn’t seem to be angry about it.
“I… slept in.”
“Of course…” she sighed.
“What?” Arcus replied defensively. “It’s a Saturday! I usually don’t wake up this early anyway.” He smiled in spite of himself.
Mila sighed again. She seemed to be fond of doing that, but he had the feeling she was hiding a smile too. “Well, everyone else will be here pretty soo-“ She got cut off, and as luck would have it, it was by the one guy Arcus didn’t want to be here.
“Hey guys, how’s it going?” yelled Max Incendia. Girls at school seemed to swoon at the sight of his long red hair, and he wore red colored contacts to fit his red outfit. Hmm… there seems to be a theme here.
Arcus didn’t see the appeal. He face palmed. “Pfft… Why does HE have to be here anyway ?”
Mila shot him a look. “Don’t be like that, Arcus. I thought this meeting needed a… party atmosphere,” she explained. She said ‘party’ as if for lack of a better term.
Max muttered “Loser,” under his breath. Arcus glared at him, but kept quiet for Mila’s sake.
“Yeah, some party.” Remarked a deep voice from somewhere behind them. They whirled around to see Shadix Umbra. (Author here: What can I say? I like original names.) He was the goth (sorry: that was politically incorrect) guy Arcus knew. He saw him hanging out in school hallways most of the time. His black hair went well with his black jeans and a black t-shirt… you get the idea. His eyes were a dark brown. It was obvious he didn’t like the sun because his skin tan could use some work.
“Hi Shadix, thanks for coming,” Mila said politely.
He shrugged. “Not like I had anything else to do today,” he said, folding his arms nonchalantly.
Mila looked around. “I wonder where… ah, there they are,” she said smiling. Sage Adficio was looking uncomfortable walking next to Annie Sonitus, who was jamming out to heavy metal on her earphones. They approached the table and sat down. “Hey guys! How’s it going?” asked Mila.
“Now you’re starting to sound like Max,” Arcus mumbled. Mila and Max both elbowed him simultaneously.
“What?” Annie shouted over the noise of her earphones.
Sage looked around uneasily. “Mila… you know I don’t like crowds… Can’t you see that they’re looking at me?” she said looking around nervously.
Mila comforted her, “Oh Sage, you’ll be fine. We can go shopping later…” she teased. Sage’s face brightened at the mention of shopping.
Arcus went over and pulled the earphones out of her ears. “She says you guys can go shopping later,” He repeated.
“Cool!” she said. She talked a bit louder than everyone else because she was slightly deaf. “That means I can buy a new pair of headphones, the speakers in these are about to blow,” she remarked happily.
“Yo, Arcus! What’s up, my man?” said Leo Levis, the one guy Arcus was happy to have here. His hair was so blond it was almost white, and his outfit matched it .
“Leo! Hey, man, how’s it going?” Arcus replied.
Shadix chuckled. “Now you’re starting to sound like Max,” he remarked. Arcus and Max elbowed him simultaneously.
“Glad you’re here. Can we eat now? I’m starving.” asked Arcus.
“Sure… but you’re paying,” Mila said with a straight face.
Arcus was confused. “Wait, wha-“he started. Mila giggled. Arcus grumbled. “Oh sure, try to make me do everything. Would you like your shoes polished, my lady?” Everybody laughed at that.
They all went to the different mini restaurants within the food court, ordered their food, and brought it back to their table. They chatted about school, how hard it was, and asked each other about their grades, blah, blah, blah. Arcus had already finished before the others. He was kind of thirsty, so he considered his options. Buy expensive bottled water at one of the restaurants, or go to the water fountain next to the restrooms for free. It was a no-brainer. Arcus stood up. “Hey guys, I’m gonna go grab a drink. I’ll be back in a sec,” he said as he strode to the entrance.
As he bent down to drink at the fountain, he felt a little dizzy. He straightened up and leaned against the wall, holding his palm to his forehead. That was when he felt it. A strange sort of… gravity, for lack of a better term, was pulling in the direction of the doors. He didn’t know why, but he started walking in that direction. He went out into the crisp autumn air, and felt the gravity shift to his left. He felt obliged to follow it. He had the feeling it was leading him somewhere. He kept walking towards it, until it led him to a small, dark alley in between two local stores. The gravity was stronger now. It seemed almost… insistent that he keep walking. He didn’t see anything. He was confused. The gravity, it seemed, had lead him to a dead end.
That was when he noticed it. It was a life-altering, all-powerful, mind-blowing… metal box. No, not a box. It was more of a cube shape.
He went over to it and picked it up with one of the two handles. Nothing seemed to happen, except… was it a dark red color before he picked it up? He shook his head, attributing it to his imagination. For some reason, he didn’t know why, he took it back out of the alley, and walked backed to the mall. By this time, there were crowds and crowds of people. It was a pretty popular mall. He walked back through the doors to the food court, found his friend’s table, and sat down. They were still there chatting until he showed up.
“You must’ve been really thirsty, man. You took like ten minutes just getting a drink!” Leo said in mock anger. “And what’s that thing you’re carrying?”
Arcus looked at it like he was seeing it for the first time. “I… don’t know exactly. I found it outside,” he admitted. Now that he was back with his friends, the cube seemed brighter. He held it out for Leo to inspect. Leo tried to take it from him, but when he and Arcus were both touching it, it lit up like the sun.
Leo jerked his hand back. “What the…” he breathed. He touched it again, and the same thing happened. He was having fun grabbing it and letting go, seeing it light up and fade, until Arcus stopped him. The force seemed to be back, only now it was telling him…
“Guys, everybody grab onto it,” he said. Mila looked skeptical. “Why? It looks almost dangerous when you two are holding it. Who knows what it is? It could be radioactive or something,” she said nervously.
“Trust me, I know what I’m doing,” Arcus assured her.
“Well, THAT makes me feel a whole lot better,” she said sarcastically, but she complied hesitantly along with everyone else after a few seconds.
Now the cube was hard to look at, it was so bright. For some reason, Arcus noticed that the crowds had grown since he came back. The entire food court was full. His hands gravitated to the two handles on the sides. He instinctively knew what to do. He gathered all his strength, and pushed inward as hard as he could. He felt an exhilarating sense of speed. Then next thing he knew, there was a thunderous explosion, and he blacked out.

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:35 am:
A very capturing story line is going on that reminds me or X-men or something. Very good. I wanted to know more.

. said...
Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:02 am:
If your story's not going through here, there's a teen writing site called Figment where you can post books without delay. It's pretty cool and there's lots of people offering feedback there.

Crunchman99This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:59 pm :
Thanks for the advice, I might have to try that. The thing is, I've halted posting for a while because I want some feedback on Aegis Infernum first. For everyone else; it's on my page, and I would like to know if you want to see that first, or the ending of this one first.

Crunchman99This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Okay, about not posting anything in the last month... Well, TeenInk is kind of screwing me here. I've posted something completely new, but they won't validate it, either on purpose or by some fluke. Something is coming; don't worry. It might just take a while to get there.

IMSteelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I like the original names, the and the story.  It was pretty well written, the dialogue needs a little work, it's somewhat abrubt and not very believable.  The notes that yout put in the story I kind of don't like, if you use notes, you should have some kind of a sybole beside the parragraph, and then at the bottom of the page, write the notes.  Otherwise a fine book. 

MayaS. said...
Chapters 20-21: I feel guilty about the comment-per-chapter wall spam I've been doing, so I'll start lumping chapters together. These chapters were really suspenseful and the point-of-view changing was fluid and well-written. It was a tad confusing what Arcus does in Chapter 21 when he's down (uses his electric powers to melt the bullet in midair, causing the molten metal?) Sorry again about the comment clutter

CammyS said...
Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:48 am:
I really liked it, even though it didn't really, in my opinion, have a proper ending. Are there more than 19 chapters? I don't ever really know what's up with Milla. What is her power? And  I could tell that your Leo was exactly the same as the one in Percy Jackson. His character is identical, as well as his name and backstory. Good story- tell me when there is more!

Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:40 am :
That's funny, I never even thought about Leo being that similar. Now that you point it out, they're basically carbon copies of each other. It must've been my subconscious or something. Of course there are more chapters, but writing has been put on hold for the moment. You know... Halo 4 and some other stuff :)

MayaS. said...
Chapter 19: Aw so mysterius! I have many questions, which was the intent of this chapter, but my only techincal-writing question is, does Arcus speak Latin? I'm sorry to say I don't know what he's quoting... I can't wait for more of this story!

Dec. 17, 2012 at 10:03 pm :
Okay, seriously, when is TeenInk going to validate my new submission already?! Sorry for the delay, expect something totally new coming soon. Well, hopefully soon. It's been like a week, maybe two.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 18 (or 19) Praeteritus Fulgur: Oh snap. You must keep these cool powers coming!! "Percy and Jason...."  *chuckles* good show.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 17: Compared to the rest, Mila's portrait seemed just a tad underdeveloped. I think it would be cool for her to practice with her powers like Annie, Shadix, and Leo were doing. Has she ever seen the ocean? (That was kind of random but it might make for an interesting flashback-character-development-thingy)

MayaS. said...
Chapter 16: My question for this chapter is, why was Leo bullied? He's so nice.... Once again, the last line!!! I love the running joke.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 15: Shadix is definately relatable. I'm just wondering...why is his power over shadows, and why is he goth? Also I laughed on the last line.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 14: this was a pretty sweet change in perspective, and definately the best chapter so far. Annie has just about every teenager's dream power- actual air guitar. But I liked how you took that and the scene evolved into a reflection about her family to the violin to the birds to her friends. The last line, "hoping against hope," was kind of cliche but that was miniscule.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 13: Do you think that if Arcus were to go out and about, he would put on a disguise? That might be pretty funny. I liked this chapter, especially the descriptions of skyscrapers. I'm starting to wonder why the bad guys have been so quiet. Too quiet....

MayaS. said...
Chapter 12: Sidus Bellum. Heh...

MayaS. said...
Sorry, that one was for Chapter 11.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 10: This chapter was a nice change of pace; and the vivid descriptions of their powers made a nice movie in my head

MayaS. said...
Chapter 9: I'm starting to wonder what's happening in the outside world. Wouldn't the whole city be in panic after the huge explosion in the park that killed everyone? Wouldn't the kids' parents be on the news, worrying about their teenagers who went to the mall and disappeared? Would Arcus and co. miss their families? Just food for thought. Haha...food...get it....happy Thanksgiving!