Fabula Imperium (Story of Power)

Author's note: This is an idea that I've been kicking around for a while. I hope you get a few laughs out of it, at least.
Author's note: This is an idea that I've been kicking around for a while. I hope you get a few laughs out of it, at least.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next »

Invenio... Iterum

Invenio… Iterum (Chapter 19)
“I believe I have made a breakthrough,” Callidus announced. Annie and Shadix stopped to look at him. “What sort of breakthrough?” inquired Shadix, crossing his arms. Callidus spread his arms out as if preaching. “It’s a breakthrough concerning the Mobius shards. I believe I now have the knowledge to construct a biological-slash-technological centrifuge powerful enough to synthesize shards into one mass, allowing a power greater than the sum of its
Maybe things aren't as they seem after all...
parts,” Callidus finished. He looked like he was expecting Annie and Shadix to clap for him. Now, Annie crossed her arms. “English, please?” She asked, exasperated. Callidus looked puzzled. “I’m pretty sure I was speaking English… unless you want me to explain in German, Mandarin, French, Spanish, Russian, Greek, or even Latin? Quam credo-“Shadix interrupted hastily. “Pretend we didn’t know anything about what you just said,” Shadix proposed. “How would you explain it to us then?” Callidus thought for a moment. A couple times he looked like he was about to talk, but stopped himself. Finally, he spoke. “I now know how to create a machine to combine Mobius shards into one, and that one is more powerful than the all the ones used to create it,” he said haltingly. Annie nodded. “Good,” she said simply. Callidus readjusted his glasses. “I’m going to need at least eight shards before I can combine them… plus the fact that the machine isn’t actually built yet, it will take a couple days to accomplish this,” Callidus admitted. Shadix shrugged. “It’s not like we’re pressed for time or anything.”

Arcus was tired. He had found seven shards by this point, and now he was ready to go back to the lab. He was sitting on the roof of a building, staring at one of the red, jagged metal pieces. Every so often, it seemed to pulse with red energy. It was subtle, just a circular ripple sweeping across the surface. It happened every few seconds, and Arcus couldn’t figure out what it was. He gave up, and stuck it back in his pocket. He stood up, and was about to summon his ‘electro-skateboard’ when he felt the force again. He was getting slightly annoyed. Occasionally it would just show up, and then disappear a few minutes later. He resolved to find what was causing it this time. He moved his arm like he was throwing a Frisbee, and ran. His disc flew a couple feet forward, and he jumped on. He crouched, and released. The disc jumped, and he landed on the next rooftop over. He bent forward, and he went faster. He kept on like this for several minutes. As he sped faster, he saw a glimmer in the corner of his eye. He twisted sideways, and leaned to his right to the point where his fingers were touching the roof’s surface. Sparks flew as he came to a stop. He saw someone standing on the edge of the building with his arms crossed. The person had a black cloak around his shoulders with the hood up. The stranger turned to face Arcus. On the inside, the cloak was white. In fact, it was so bright it was hard to look at. The stranger was wearing some sort of tunic-thing underneath the cloak. It was grey colored. No, wait… was it white? Or black? Arcus looked closely at it. At one point it was white, and then next moment it was black. Arcus shielded his eyes with his forearm. Arcus couldn’t see his face, but the stranger’s mouth curved into an amused smile. “Salutationes, filius de fulgur,” he said. His voice was… confusing. Arcus heard a higher, gentle murmur simultaneous to a deep, hateful, malicious growl. Arcus stepped forward, and dropped to one knee. “Fortitudinem et honorem to excubiarum,” Arcus quoted. He stood up, and took a step back. He shook his head, and a strong feeling of confusion washed over him. The stranger laughed a warm, benevolent, cheerful laugh alongside a spiteful, malevolent, cruel one. The stranger spoke. “Since you have deigned to speak our language, I will honor you in yours.” One part of the stranger’s voice sounded resentful, the other sounded pleased. Arcus had a million questions. He decided to ask the most prominent one. “Who, or what, are you exactly?” he questioned. “I am called Excubiarum, or as you say, the Sentinel.” The man we now know to be the Sentinel shot an annoyed look at the sky. “Unfortunately, they do not permit me to say more about such things.” The Sentinel looked back at Arcus. “My purpose is to maintain the dependendum, or balance. This man named Exitium, or Destroyer in your language, has upset that. I have been sent to guide you on the route of stopping him.” Thunder rumbled… which was strange, since there wasn’t a cloud Arcus could see. The Sentinel shot another annoyed look at the sky. “I have said too much already. Just know that I am not your enemy. Farewell, filius de fulgur.” The Sentinel turned back to the edge, and gracefully leapt off. Arcus ran to the edge and looked down. There was nobody there. Arcus rubbed his eyes. Had it all been a fatigue-induced hallucination? Arcus didn’t know, but he had even more questions now. The most puzzling one of all was the one he voiced aloud.
“What the heck does filius de fulgur even mean?”

PenOnParchmentThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 17 at 3:31 am:
It's a cool story, and definitely something i could see myself buying and reading! The characters are interesting-especially some of their names!- and so's the storyline. I really loved the summary too, it definitely was inspired!

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:35 am:
A very capturing story line is going on that reminds me or X-men or something. Very good. I wanted to know more.

. said...
Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:02 am:
If your story's not going through here, there's a teen writing site called Figment where you can post books without delay. It's pretty cool and there's lots of people offering feedback there.

Crunchman99 replied...
Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:59 pm :
Thanks for the advice, I might have to try that. The thing is, I've halted posting for a while because I want some feedback on Aegis Infernum first. For everyone else; it's on my page, and I would like to know if you want to see that first, or the ending of this one first.

Crunchman99 said...
Okay, about not posting anything in the last month... Well, TeenInk is kind of screwing me here. I've posted something completely new, but they won't validate it, either on purpose or by some fluke. Something is coming; don't worry. It might just take a while to get there.

IMSteelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I like the original names, the and the story.  It was pretty well written, the dialogue needs a little work, it's somewhat abrubt and not very believable.  The notes that yout put in the story I kind of don't like, if you use notes, you should have some kind of a sybole beside the parragraph, and then at the bottom of the page, write the notes.  Otherwise a fine book. 

MayaS. said...
Chapters 20-21: I feel guilty about the comment-per-chapter wall spam I've been doing, so I'll start lumping chapters together. These chapters were really suspenseful and the point-of-view changing was fluid and well-written. It was a tad confusing what Arcus does in Chapter 21 when he's down (uses his electric powers to melt the bullet in midair, causing the molten metal?) Sorry again about the comment clutter

CammyS said...
Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:48 am:
I really liked it, even though it didn't really, in my opinion, have a proper ending. Are there more than 19 chapters? I don't ever really know what's up with Milla. What is her power? And  I could tell that your Leo was exactly the same as the one in Percy Jackson. His character is identical, as well as his name and backstory. Good story- tell me when there is more!

Crunchman99 replied...
Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:40 am :
That's funny, I never even thought about Leo being that similar. Now that you point it out, they're basically carbon copies of each other. It must've been my subconscious or something. Of course there are more chapters, but writing has been put on hold for the moment. You know... Halo 4 and some other stuff :)

MayaS. said...
Chapter 19: Aw so mysterius! I have many questions, which was the intent of this chapter, but my only techincal-writing question is, does Arcus speak Latin? I'm sorry to say I don't know what he's quoting... I can't wait for more of this story!

Crunchman99 replied...
Dec. 17, 2012 at 10:03 pm :
Okay, seriously, when is TeenInk going to validate my new submission already?! Sorry for the delay, expect something totally new coming soon. Well, hopefully soon. It's been like a week, maybe two.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 18 (or 19) Praeteritus Fulgur: Oh snap. You must keep these cool powers coming!! "Percy and Jason...."  *chuckles* good show.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 17: Compared to the rest, Mila's portrait seemed just a tad underdeveloped. I think it would be cool for her to practice with her powers like Annie, Shadix, and Leo were doing. Has she ever seen the ocean? (That was kind of random but it might make for an interesting flashback-character-development-thingy)

MayaS. said...
Chapter 16: My question for this chapter is, why was Leo bullied? He's so nice.... Once again, the last line!!! I love the running joke.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 15: Shadix is definately relatable. I'm just wondering...why is his power over shadows, and why is he goth? Also I laughed on the last line.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 14: this was a pretty sweet change in perspective, and definately the best chapter so far. Annie has just about every teenager's dream power- actual air guitar. But I liked how you took that and the scene evolved into a reflection about her family to the violin to the birds to her friends. The last line, "hoping against hope," was kind of cliche but that was miniscule.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 13: Do you think that if Arcus were to go out and about, he would put on a disguise? That might be pretty funny. I liked this chapter, especially the descriptions of skyscrapers. I'm starting to wonder why the bad guys have been so quiet. Too quiet....

MayaS. said...
Chapter 12: Sidus Bellum. Heh...

MayaS. said...
Sorry, that one was for Chapter 11.

MayaS. said...
Chapter 10: This chapter was a nice change of pace; and the vivid descriptions of their powers made a nice movie in my head