His Only Girl

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Chapter 2

The next morning, Chase found himself leaning against his locker, the truth being pushed out of him.
“Hey man,” Matt asked. “What’d you do yesterday afternoon?”
“Oh, went home and studied,” Chase lied.
“Hey, Zoë’s pretty cute,” Andy said. “Why don’t you ask her out?”
“I don’t know. It would be awkward,” Chase said. “But, I think you should take a chance with her friends. Ask them out. You would make a cute couple.”
“Really?” Matt asked.
“Yeah,” Chase said.
“Do you have a date to the Sweethearts Dance yet?” Andy asked.
“No, and I haven’t planned on asking anyone,” Chase replied.
“Ask Zoey,” Andy suggested. “I’m sure she’d say yes.”
“Again, awkward,” Chase said. “Man, you two are mentioning Zoey a lot this morning. Did you see or hear something I should know about?”
“Well, we saw…,” Matt began, but Andy punched his stomach before he could say anymore.
“What we mean is…we know you like Zoey a lot so we thought you’d want to ask her to the dance.”
“That’s a nice offer, but I’ll pass,” Chase said.
At the same time at Zoë’s locker, Zoë’s friends were putting her through the same thing.
“So Zoë. Did you do anything interesting yesterday evening?” Maggie asked.
“Oh, the same,” Zoey lied. “Did all my homework while trying to keep my pesky sister out of my room.”
“Really?” Maggie asked suspiciously.
“Yeah. What were you... following me around after school or something?” Zoey asked.
“Hey, Chase is a cutie isn’t he?” Veronica asked. “And you hang around him so much.”
“Yeah, I do,” Zoey said, reaching into her locker. “What’s your point?”
“You’ve been crushing on him for years, and we know that,” Maggie said.
“You do?” Zoey asked, turning back to her friends.
“Like…duh,” Veronica said. “From your flirty behavior around him, how could we not? We also realize you want more from him. You’re trying to lure him to the next step.”
“What are you talking about?” Zoey asked.
“Zoey, just admit it,” Maggie said. “You’re in love with Chase.”
“Okay, I seriously think you should…,” Zoey began, but stopped when Matt and Andy came up to them.
“Hey,” the boys said.
“Hi. Can we help you?” the girls asked.
“Can we talk to you?” the boys asked Veronica and Maggie.
“Sure,” the girlls replied.
They turned and headed down the hall so they could have a privet conversation.
Chase came up and slipped his arms around Zoey.
“Hey,” he whispered.
“Hey,” she replied. “We were just talking about you and you are such a cutie. And, once again, my friends were pressuring me into revealing my true feelings about you. They still want to crack it out of me. Why can’t they let it go?”
“Yeah, I heard your name being mentioned a lot this morning,” Chase said. “They are just getting anxious!”
“Why can’t we just tell them?” Zoey asked. “They’ll keep bugging us until we tell them the truth. By the way, what are your friends doing with my friends anyway?”
“Asking them to the Sweethearts Dance because I told them to,” Chase said. “That reminds me…I have an invitation for you.”
The next morning, Maggie and Veronica went to Zoë’s locker where the three girls meet every morning and the girlls saw a piece of paper sticking out. They grabbed it and were shocked at what was written inside.
Dear Zoey,
Will you be my Valentine? Also, I would like to take you to the Sweethearts dance on Friday. Would you be my date?
Yours Truly,
Chase
They couldn’t believe what they read and instantly began whispering. But they saw Zoey coming, so they slipped the note back where they found it.
After lunch, Chase’s friends were waiting for him at their normal meeting spot, Chase’s locker.
They were a little early, so they stood there chatting when all of a sudden Andy said, “Hey dude. What’s that?”
They both turned to see a slip of paper sticking out of his locker, and they both grabbed it. They read it with shocked expressions on their face.
Dear Chase,
Be mine. I would love to be your date to the Sweethearts Dance for now I long to be on the dance floor with you, just you and me together dancing in the spotlight. For you are the cutest boy I have ever met.
Sincerely,
Zoey
“No way,” Andy said. “Chase said he wasn’t going to ask Zoey to the dance. And “Be mine”? What’s that about?”
“I think he asked her to be his valentine,” Matt explained.
Chase came up to them and his friends put the note back.
“Hey man. What took you so long?” Matt asked.

“Oh, I took Zoey out to lunch,” Chase said. “Hey, did you find a note in my locker? I’m supposed to get one.”
“Here,” Matt said, handing it to him.
“Yes, she said yes,” Chase said.
Zoey and Chase were excited they were going to the dance together and their friends finally knew the whole story.

booklover1212 said...
Feb. 18 at 2:53 pm:
are the names based on that show zoey 101?  

ZackTheAlligator said...
May 8, 2013 at 7:57 am:
I like it so far--one suggestion would be that in the beginning, too many of the names ended with "son". It just seemed a bit distracting to me and pulled me out of the story. Keep up the good work!

nemish23 said...
Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:56 am:

it's perhaps a little too romantic for me, but i'm not a totally romantic type so don't trust me on that.

but i love how it's a little fairytale mixed in the modern day world and you have great potential!

i'd love to read some of your other works!

arichman40 replied...
Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:36 pm :
Thank you. I know it gets a little sappy romantic, but when I write, that's how I am. Glad you enjoyed the book.