New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Morphnior

Author's note: When I fall asleep I dream of this incredible club in which everyone is who they aren't. As...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: When I fall asleep I dream of this incredible club in which everyone is who they aren't. As confusing as it originally was, I learned to figure it out as I wrote. The only way to unlock imagination is to dream and live it.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next »

Return to Morphnior

Bass pounded the room, dancing hips swung in hypnotic beat. The lyrics of the sound seemed slurred by the excitement whizzing through the air. It was hotter than the Mojave desert in mid summer, but no one seemed to mind. Liz pressed her back against his chest and laughed. He whispered something in her ear, his words slicing the air and sending minuscule chills down her neck. Liz was taken by the hand and dragged through the packed, sweaty crowd, trying to avoid being stepped on by the platformed heels of the skinny temptresses as they claimed their own prizes on the floor. He parted the sea of dancers until less and less were around, finally finding a spot by the door.
The darkness surrounded Liz and she tried to adjust her eyes to see around her. She caught a glimpse of herself in the near by window. Her blond hair was sweaty and plastered to her forehead, all but her eye make-up had been rubbed off, and her dress had a small rip at the bottom. She didn't care. Turning her attention back to James she noticed his face had gone grim. Fear gripped her heart and shook it, she could feel it matching the loudness and fast pace of the song raging back on the dance floor. "What's wrong?" she tried to laugh, "Too much dancing?" He took a deep breath and looked strait at her with his almond brown eyes.
"Look Liz, I like you. Alot." Liz looked down and saw his hands shaking slightly as he pulled one up to her face, "I just don't know if I'm ready for all this." She quickly pulled him down to her face and kissed him. James fought at first but melted into her. His hands shook as he tightened his hold on her waist. Liz pulled her face away from his, her mouth forming the perfect rose colored O. Even she shocked herself at her action. "What was that Liz?"
"I," she stuttered, "I don't know. I just thought that would fix everything." She looked away and waited for him to say something. Why couldn't she be like those vixens on the floor? So graceful, beautiful, carefree yet masters of a secret game. "Maybe we should just go back to dancing."
"Yeah, maybe we should." James held his arm out and she took it. This time feeling as if all eyes were glaring at her as she was lead through the crowd back to the center. Ke$ha's song Blow was blasting out of the speakers and the hips started swinging again. James wrapped his hands around Liz as they rocked to the rhythm. She twisted her body and put her head on his shoulder exposing her left cheek down to her shoulder.
They danced through most of the night with the same swaying, and pressing of their hips. "Hey I'm gonna go get something to drink. I'll be back." Liz said as she began walking off the floor towards the drink station at the club. She caught sight of Aaron her friend who had gone to the club with someone else in case Liz needed help.
"How's the dancing going?" He asked taking a sip of a bright blue liquid then spit it back into the cup, "That was disgusting. Don't drink the blueberry punch it tastes like, well maybe I better not say." Aaron laughed taking his sleeve and whipping his mouth off.
"Well if I could forget about him for a single second I'd tell you." Liz giggled and took the nearest glass of lemonade, her main power source of the evening, "He's absolutely incredible. I just wish he'd want me as badly as I want him. You know?" She caught him looking at the girl Aaron was with who was chatting it up with her friend.
"I know exactly what you mean." He sighed, "Shouldn't you be getting back to him?"
"Yeah, but I wanted to say hi for a millisecond. You're still my friend, and you're the reason I've been dancing with him."
"Then I'm going to make you go dance with him more. Now get to it the night is fleeting like fame." He pushed Liz back onto the dance floor. She searched practically blind until she spotted him in another crowd of dancers.
"Hey stranger, mind if we dance?" She said taking his hand and yanking him away to another spot deeper in the haze of the night. James followed with no hesitation. Next thing she knew everyone else on the floor evaporated and it was just the two of them. She closed her eyes and relaxed against him. Liz felt safe, that kind of safeness a night light brings a small child, she had never felt trust like this before. Then before she knew it his hands, his warmth, his body were all gone. Stolen from her by one of the dancers in glittery, short dresses. Just as quickly as he had vanished, she ran past the windows and out the club's doors into the night. The bass pounding behind her.

SilverLuna said...
Jun. 7, 2013 at 3:16 pm:
Okay, so I like the story you're writing, it reminds me vaguely of The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare--except, there was a coehesive story there. I feel like I'm missing pieces and I WANT TO KNOW THOSE PIECES. We leave Liz's home town, and feel no attachment for it. You have those characters, get us interested in Kasey, and then we abandon him for the majority of the story--I want to know THAT history, because it will draw my into Liz's story. Aaron is introduced... (more »)

PaigeSmith said...
Dec. 23, 2011 at 12:12 am:
Blueberry Punch is going to start being posted soon, most likely starting next week! It will be Aaron's side of the story, which will tie into the final novel of this trilogy :)

PaigeSmith replied...
Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:05 pm :
There was actually some problems with Blueberry Punch, so expect that to actually be delayed until next month. Sorry!

RoseRatchetThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 20 at 8:49 pm :
trilogy/ Is this the first?

Mermaidmissy said...
Wow, your story was really good. And I hope you keep on writng some more poems soon. Can you please take a look at some of my poems and book please, Thank You!! :)

PaigeSmith replied...
Dec. 23, 2011 at 12:14 am :
If you liked this book, the second book of the Morphnior trilogy (Blueberry Punch) should be posted by mid January!