Damned Forever

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Next »

Chapter 1

These hollow halls are the only ones that hear my cries. Calling his name was useless, I knew he was gone. Why now? Why ever? I cradled Greg in my arms, my hands were knotted in his blood-stained clothes and my tears were falling onto his lifeless eye-lids. His skin was so pale, so cold. I threw my head back and screamed; my voice bounced off the empty halls and came back to me. Why didn't I see this? I could have prevented it, stopped whoever it was from killing Greg. I screamed again and again, hoping someone would hear my cries but it was useless. I froze as my sight became blurred then. With a flash of light, I saw the future as if it were really happening. Paramedics would come if I unleashed my full force, someone would hear me and call them. Then I saw John, my father, his tear riddled eyes staring at me. He embraced me. We both knew all too well about loss. The vision ended and I did as it guided me. I took a deep breath, the scent of blood and gunpowder filled my lungs but I weaved past it, letting out a long breath. I added my unusually high voice and let out a blood-curdling, ear-splitting scream that tore through the halls and echoed violently out of the abandoned building and onto the sleeping street. A dog barked and someone shouted, then I was lost in the sounds of my crying.

Just as my vision guided, paramedics arrived within twenty minutes and pulled Greg from my withering grip. I was deprived of all strength, the crying had drained me, but I was still able to see John. Surely he would have responded to this call, he was a paramedic after all and he knew I would be at the abandoned building; his strong are were hot compared to the lifeless body I had held in my arms. I could hear his voice, deep and worried, but I couldn't understand him. Fear was setting and it was causing me to panic and forget what was around me but the darkness.
"Halo?" his voice finally broke through. I stared at him; we shared the same light blue eyes.
"Yes?"
"Are you hurt?" he asked his voice thick with worry. It took me a moment to realize I was hurt, my leg abruptly began to throb with extreme pain and I felt like screaming but my voice was no longer able to sustain that amount of force. I kept my voice low as I answered,
"My leg." I looked at it as it was laid out in front of me. My left leg was paler than the right, a large gash scaled my shin and the bone was revealed, blood pooling from it. I was surprised I wasn't able to notice it earlier, why the pain hadn't hit me. Maybe because I was already in pain and part of my sorrowful sobs were actually sobs of physical pain. John was careful as he loaded me onto the gurney, my leg was already being attended as they pulled me into the ambulance; my eyes were fixed on the bright light above. The pain was drowned out by something they'd given me, and I wasn't sure if it was a good thing or a bad one. The excruciating pain I had felt just seconds ago had distracted me from the thought of losing Greg, and now I was, again, fully aware of his loss. I just stared up at the ceiling, no longer able to shed tears for the love I'd lost, though I could still feel my heart screaming and my head ripping.

##

In the absence of light, darkness prevails. That was all my life was; darkness. Nothing made me smile anymore. I just wish I could go back, force myself to see that future to then prevent it. I wouldn't have to walk the halls alone, sad or scornful eyes falling on me every time I walked past someone. I tried hard to get on with my life, for John, but he could see I hadn't slept in weeks; the sight of Greg and his murderer were stuck in my head. One moment, Greg and I are laughing, kissing, and the next he's on the floor bleeding and I'm screaming. It was a nightmare I didn't want to relive. I was walking down my street, it was deserted. It was two o'clock in the morning on a Wednesday so of course people would be asleep. My hands were stuffed in my thick black jacket, my legs covered in jeans and my feet in a pair of checker Converse shoes. The thick fog made it hard to see but I knew well enough where I was going. It wasn't that hard to find the manor, seeing as it was only a few stops down and the porch light was on.
John was home.
He didn't bother to go off at me anymore for my midnight walks; he knew I could take care of myself. John knew about my powers, he had the same sort of thing but his was slightly more complicated; he had to be near the person or their objects to know what was going to happen and he could only see the past and present, not the future like me. He could only know the future if I told him. John was waiting on the porch, sitting on a small chair with a cigarette between his fingers and smoke rippling from his lips
"Nice walk?" he asked dropping his cigarette and stepping on it. He rose to his feet as I climbed the steps and met him on the porch. I shrugged.
"Nothing new," I muttered and opened the door. All the lights were on and the soft scent of chicken lingered in the air; John had been cooking again. I didn't bother to go for a shower; I just went upstairs, got changed into a baggy shirt and sweat pants, said goodnight to John and climbed onto bed. It had been a pretty normal day; went to school, talked to friends, took a walk until two in the morning approximately... In other words, I just watched life go by while I sat doing nothing. I knew what was going to happen before everyone else but ever since I lost Greg, I stopped caring. I just didn't care about what was going to happen to me or anyone else but John anymore. I cared what happened to him, he was all I had left, and he was the only one that kept me living. After I lost my mum, John and I had gotten closer. He's my best friend as well as my dad. He used to be there for me and used to listen, but now we were drifting apart and I knew all too well that it was all my doing. John wanted to help me but there was nothing he could do, I'd lost the love of my life and it was killing me just to live through another day without him. But whenever I received a vision, I hoped it would bring me something about Greg's killer to avenge Greg. Now, that was something worth living for. Unfortunately, not visions came and all leads were dead-ends. There was nothing that pointed to anyone, Greg's killer was going to get away with it and there was nothing I could do but let it happen. If only my visions were working, if only I'd seen Greg dying, I'd been able to stop it. It was my entire fault.

This book has 14 comments. Post your own now!

Jaguar17 said...
Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:21 am
WOW! love it, seriosly, write fast! If I don't read the next book soon I will die!

DEROSSETT said...
THis is like amazing.  I will be looking for the sequal.  write fast:)

DanielleMitchell said...
Oct. 9, 2011 at 8:40 am
Yes sorry about the mistakes, when the spell check was going through it was changing everything throughout the chapters, so I'm going to have to go through it again and fix everything. I'm sorry for the inconvinence. :)

ButterflyKiss said...
Oh my GOD. You had me hooked at the first chapter! I find your idea refreshing from all the boring vampire stories piled up on my shelf. :) Five stars!

Steph0804 said...
Oct. 4, 2011 at 10:58 am

I've only read up to chapter 6, but I'm loving it! The only criticism is that you seem to be missing a lot of punctuation, and all the "ook" verbs "look, book..." are messed up "loOK, boOK...", and you have a few spelling mistakes ("shutter" for "shudder"...).

But the story is amazing. Keep writing!

Steph0804 replied...
Oct. 4, 2011 at 10:59 am
("reflex" for "reflects")

Steph0804 replied...
Oct. 4, 2011 at 11:00 am
Question: doesn't black absorb sunlight and white reflect it?

Steph0804 replied...
Oct. 4, 2011 at 11:08 am
Hm... you have a couple run-on sentences...

Steph0804 replied...
Oct. 4, 2011 at 11:29 am
The plot has a lot of twists and turns... first Halo is crying, helpless, with the vampires... suddenly she's cheeky, courageous, and she's a werewolf campaigning against her fianceĢ...

Steph0804 replied...
Oct. 4, 2011 at 11:37 am
Wait-- what happened between chapter 14 and 15? First she's cradling the little angel-baby in her arms, and then she's jumping off a cliff...

DanielleMitchell said...
haha, that's sweet. and im working on it as we speak :)

Kvothe28 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I didn't read the entire thing, but what I thought was good. "My soul was back in my posession, but not in my body." I really liked that. =)

My previous comment should read, I didn't read the whole thing, but what I did read was good. I mistyped the first one. Anyway, 5 stars. =)

CresentShadow said...
I need more! (: