Something to Work For

Author's note: This is my first piece on teen ink, so I would LOVE LOVE LOVE your feedback so that I can make...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This is my first piece on teen ink, so I would LOVE LOVE LOVE your feedback so that I can make this story better. So please tell me what you think :)  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4

What's A Girl To Do?

It’s been two days since I last talked to Brayden, two whole days! Yes, he’s been working, and went to start moving into ‘our’ apartment. But still, I think he’s avoiding me. I didn’t do anything wrong, did I? There was so much I still wanted to talk to him about, but since he hasn’t been around I haven’t gotten the chance to.
I walked downstairs to get breakfast and Brayden was there. I smiled at him, but he just gave me a head nod then walked away.
“Hey,” I called after him. He stopped but didn’t turn around.
“What?” he spat back.
“What’s your problem?”
“I don’t have a problem” He said turning around.
“Yes Brayden, you do. Why haven’t you been talking to me? Did I do something?”
“No, you didn’t do anything. I just, I’ve been a little stressed out.”
“About what, moving at the end of the week? Because I’m equally as stressed if you haven’t noticed. Oh, wait, you haven’t noticed because you’ve been avoiding me.”
“I’m not avoiding you Aubree! I just want a little space before I wake up and you’re there every single morning,” he said as he took a step towards me.
“Whoa, slow down there. We aren’t married.”
“You know what I mean,” he said and rolled his eyes.
“Will you just tell me, why right when I needed you most, and was finally starting to like you, you get all weird on me?” Brayden finally looked at me with a shocked look on his face.
“You were starting to like me?” He said, and moved closer.
“I let you hold my hand, didn’t I?”
“But I thought you still liked Sam…”
“What, no! Oh wow. No I don’t like him at all. I just wanted an apology for shooting me. I didn’t need the other one. I didn’t want it either. I promise that I don’t like him anymore. At all,” Brayden smiled. “Wait, is that why you were all weird? Because you thought I liked Sam?”
“Yeah, I know it sounds pathetic, but I couldn’t stand to even think about you with someone else,” Brayden told me. I smiled at that.
“So, it’s safe to say you aren’t hung up on any other girls?” I said and bit my lip.
“There’s nobody. I promise,” Brayden said.
With that, he walked forwards and leaned in, closing the space between us. He was inches from my face and my heart felt like it was pounding out of my chest. He was just about to kiss me when I heard the back door slam shut. I quickly turned around whipping Brayden in the face with my blonde hair. I heard Brayden curse under his breath.
Aunt Rebecca walked in carrying more bags that she could handle. Brayden and I both rushed to help her.
“Oh thank you so much you two. Are you speaking again?” she asked.
“Yeah, we are,” I nodded and smiled at Brayden.
“Well, I’m going back out to run more errands. Have you started packing yet Aubree?”
“Um, no…”
“I’ll help you,” Brayden offered.
“Good, there are boxes in my room. Start packing.” And with that she was gone, and the moment was ruined. I smiled at Brayden and walked past him, making sure I brushed his chest a little bit. I skipped up the stairs and into my room. Brayden appeared in the doorway with a couple of boxes just minutes later.
“Ready?” he asked me.
“Let’s do this,” I said.
We spent the next few hours in my room packing stuff like picture frames, trophies, and my clothes into the boxes. I really didn’t have that much stuff so it didn’t take that long. Brayden and I talked about anything and everything. It was like we’d known each other for years. I surrender. I am completely falling for Brayden. He is everything I could have asked for and more. It only took me a week to figure it out. I looked at him out of the corner of my eye and when he looked up at me and smiled I thought I had melted right there.
“What?” he asked me.
“Thank you,” I told him.
“For what? I don’t think I did anything.”
“Just, for everything. Helping me pack, dealing with everything so well, all that kind of stuff,” I said and blushed. He came over by me and was once again, inches from my face.
“Don’t mention it,” he said. Before I could think of something to say back he leaned in and pressed his lips to mine. I swear I saw fireworks. He was gentle, and I could tell he didn’t want to accidentally go too far. Despite my shock I found myself kissing him back. Our lips fit perfectly together like a puzzle piece, like they were meant for each other. My hands were in his soft honey blonde hair and his were on my waist. He slowly started to slip his hands under my shirt, and I immediately broke away.
“We’re not there yet,” I informed him.
“I know, I know, I know. I’m sorry. I’m a guy, I’m weak, so sue me,” Brayden winked.
I picked up a box and started to walk out of my room. Brayden followed with boxes in his arm as well. The piles stacked up in the dining room as we shuffled box after box down the stairs. There were a lot more than I thought. When we were done you couldn’t see the dining room table or the wall with the china cabinet on it.
“I really have that much stuff? Wow, I have to learn to get rid of stuff.” Brayden laughed. “Do you wanna go grab some lunch?”
“Um, I would love to, but I’m gonna have to take a rain check. I have some stuff to take care of this afternoon, and I work tonight,” he told me.
“Oh, that’s okay. I’m sure I can find plenty to do around here today. I think I’m going to go put on a swimsuit, and lay by the pool for a while,” I said with a flirtatious smile.
“You know, I can skip that stuff. It’s not that important anyways.” Brayden is such a guy.
“No that’s okay, you go. Rain check, remember?” I told him.
“Okay, I’m gonna hold you to that,” Brayden said with a wink and left.
I was falling in love with Brayden Miller. What’s a girl to do?

Chapter 5:

“Aubree honey, go get the packing tape from the kitchen. This box just collapsed in my hands!” Aunt Rebecca screamed from the drive way.
“Got it,” Brayden with the tape in hand, passing me at the front door.
Today was the day. We were putting all my boxes into three cars, if they fit. Brayden borrowed his friends SUV, and then we had my car, and my Aunt Rebecca’s car. I leaned up against the side of the house and watched Brayden pick up the boxes and put them in the truck. He had major muscles. Not body builder muscles or anything, because that’s not attractive, but the right amount of muscles. He was tan from being outside all summer, and the sun bounced off of his honey blonde hair. He turned around and flipped his hair. It was like the Justin Bieber hair flip, except I actually found this one extremely attractive. Before I knew it Brayden was at my side and whispered in my ear.
“It’s rude to stare,” he said and nudged me playfully.
“I was not staring,” I replied.
“Really, are you sure? I think there’s a puddle of drool on the ground.”
“Whatever,” I rolled my eyes and walked inside to get some more boxes.
A half an hour later all the boxes were loaded and I was in my car following Brayden and my Aunt to wherever this new apartment was. Aunt Rebecca lived in Evanston, a town about thirteen miles from downtown Chicago. We traveled those thirteen miles and ended up in a neighborhood downtown Chicago, Lincoln Square to be exact. It was a nice neighborhood, not one of the scary Chicago neighborhoods. We pulled up into the side alley next to a group of row houses.
Wow, I can’t believe this is actually happening right now. I turned off my car and just sat there. Seconds later Brayden tapped on the window.
“Are you alright?” he asked me. I nodded and got out of the car. “Wanna go see it?”
“Yeah,” I smiled. We walked around to the front of the buildings and up the stairs on the first home we passed. Brayden unlocked the front door and I followed him inside. The entry to the house was surprisingly big. There was a closet to my left, and stairs to my right. I walked straight ahead and found myself in the massive kitchen. It was all white with navy blue cabinets and stainless steel appliances. There was a breakfast bar and a small nook with a booth and table. There was also a larger table that seated eight. To my left there was the living room. A flat screen hung on the wall that was lined with bookshelves. There was a sectional couch and a few chairs. It looked cozy, almost cottage like.
Next we went downstairs to the basement. It was finished with an even bigger flat screen than the one upstairs. It had a huge couch and several chairs. There was a bar area downstairs along with a pool table. There was of course a storage room, a bedroom, and a bathroom also downstairs. After that we went to the top floor. There was a loft area that looked down on the foyer. There were three bedrooms and two baths upstairs. The master was huge. It had an amazing walk in closet and a massive bathroom. If Brayden thought he was sleeping in here, he was way wrong. The other two bedrooms were connected by a Jack and Jill bathroom. They both had walk in closets, but neither compared to the master.
I had to admit, this was an amazing house. I loved it.
“So?” Brayden asked.
“I call the master,” I smiled and made my way outside to start bringing in boxes from the cars. It took a lot less time to bring in my stuff than it did to pack it all in. We only dropped a couple of boxes, but they had clothes in them, nothing breakable. Unpacking was a different story. There was stuff everywhere. The foyer floor was nowhere in sight. This was going to take forever.
“Brayden, what are you doing?” I screamed at him as he sat in the living room watching the TV and not even bothering to help.
“Watching TV, is that a problem?”
“Yes, I would love some help here.”
“I got all my stuff done, you just have way to much crap,” he stated.
“Don’t even start with me. Besides, you’re a guy and you’re supposed to help me. I’m not supposed to be strong, remember?”
“Ah, but my darling, you are strong and you can do this on your own.”
“That’s beside the point. Will you just come help me please?” I asked him and threw in the puppy dog face just because.
“Fine,” he said and rolled his eyes.
About an hour later the foyer floor was visible. The floor in my bedroom however, had gotten worse. I really don’t like this whole moving and unpacking thing.
“Knock, knock,” someone said. I looked down over the banister to see Jenn, Stephanie, Ava, and Maddie standing in the foyer.
“Hey! What are you guys doing here?” I said.
“Well, we stopped by your house, but Aunt Rebecca said you live…here now. Why?”
“Oh, it’s kind of a long…”
“Hey Aubree, where do you, oh sorry…” Brayden said. Jenn immediately shot me a ‘what the hell’ look.
“Uh, guys this is Brayden.” I said, and braced myself for what was coming.
I mean, What’s A Girl to Do?
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4

MissEmilyDickinsonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 17 at 1:44 pm:
Oh, I love this. It is rather fast-paced, but I love it. If it's alright to ask, is there more coming? I would love it, if there is more. You're an amazing and talented writer and person. You really have such a talent and greatness in you. It's true. :) Thank you so much, for sharing this. 

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 6, 2011 at 4:27 am:
I'm only on chapter two, but I love what you have going so far. I think you could take the story a tad slower though--everything seems to be happening at a really fast pace. I feel like the main character should be a bit more shocked at certain parts. Other than that, great job at what you have. The writing was pretty good overall. :)