Something to Work For

Author's note: This is my first piece on teen ink, so I would LOVE LOVE LOVE your feedback so that I can make...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This is my first piece on teen ink, so I would LOVE LOVE LOVE your feedback so that I can make this story better. So please tell me what you think :)  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

No Matter How Hard You Try the Feeling Won’t Go Away

“Hey, Aubree, wake up!” I awoke the next morning to Brayden who wore an extremely giddy expression on his face.
“What,” I shot at him. I’m not a morning person. He would find out sooner or late, so I decided sooner was better. He ignored my attitude and proceeded anyway.
“You can go home!”
“What? Are you serious?!” My mood immediately shifted.
“Yeah, your aunt is signing the papers and finding out if and how she needs to take care of you at home,” Brayden said still smiling.
I smiled like I was the happiest person on the face of the earth, but really my mind wandered to different things. I thought about school, my social life, dance, and what was to be of this arranged marriage.
“What’s wrong,” Brayden asked, sensing my tension.
“Nothing, don’t worry about it,” I told him.
“We have to be able to talk about anything you know, so we can start now.”
“I was just, thinking,” I told Brayden. He gave me a look that told me to elaborate.
“About school, and dance, and…this whole thing,” I said while repeatedly pointing to the two of us.
“What about ‘this whole thing,” he said mimicking me.
“Just, what’s going to happen, that kind of thing?” He opened his mouth to say something, but Aunt Rebecca walked in and interrupted.
“Oh, good you’re awake! I’ll pack up and then as soon as the doctor comes in and takes out your IV we’ll head home.” I smiled when Aunt Rebecca said the word home. I couldn’t wait to be in my own room with my own bed again.
The doctor came and removed my IV. Brayden helped me up and once again caught me before I fell. I hope I don’t make a habit of that. He looped his arm through mine and we were gone. I never wanted to see another hospital again. The car ride was silent, but when we got home I was ecstatic. The smell of cinnamon filled the home, just like it has for the past seven years. There was a welcome home banner that hung from the banister, and a cake in the kitchen. I began to tear up.
“Oh no, honey I didn’t mean to make you cry,” Aunt Rebecca said.
“No, it’s alright. I’m just happy to be home, finally,” I told her.
Aunt Rebecca and Brayden exchanged a glance that told me they weren’t sharing something with me.
“What aren’t you guys telling me?”
“Don’t worry about it right now,” Auntie told me.
“Rebecca, we can’t leave her in the dark. She’s already experienced it once…” Brayden said while I looked between the two. Aunt Rebecca sighed.
“Alright. Aubree honey, you’re going to move in with Brayden this week,” she said.
My jaw dropped. Brayden still had an arm looped through mine. I immediately pulled it away from him.
“No. No, no, no. I’m seventeen; there is no chance in hell I’m moving in with him. I don’t want to live with him, hell I don’t even want to marry him!” I screamed, and with that, I fainted.
“I don’t know how long I was out, if I had hit my head or if Brayden caught me before I fell. My eyes fluttered open and I was in my own room. A light smile spread across my lips, but faded when I turned my head to the left and Brayden was there.
“What?” I asked him.
“I was just making sure you were okay. Can’t I do that?”
“What happened?”
“You were screaming about how you didn’t want to move in together, and didn’t want to marry me, then you fainted,” he informed me, “oh, and I caught you before you hit your head,” Brayden smiled. I laughed a little, and then my face got serious.
“Why do you want this to work so badly?” I asked him.
“Because, Aubree, as old fashioned as our parents may be, they wouldn’t have done this on purpose, and to be perfectly honest, I already have feelings for you.”
What was I supposed to say to that? ‘Oh Brayden I have feelings for you too. Let’s live happily ever after!’? No. That is not how this is going to work.
“You don’t have to say anything. I know that seems ridiculous, but it’s true. Just keep that in mind.” With that Brayden got up and left. When he walked out the door I felt like something was missing. What was wrong with me? I shook my head and tossed the covers off. I tried to get up, but as soon as I stood on both my legs I was wobbly. There was no way I would be able to make it to the bathroom alone. I sat back down on my bed and contemplated whether or not to ask Brayden to help me.
“Brayden,” I shouted. He came running in faster than anyone I’ve seen before.
“What? Are you okay?”
“I’m fine, I just need help getting up,” I told him.
“Oh, right.” He helped me up and I hobbled over to the bathroom.
“Thanks, I think I got it from here,” I told Brayden. He nodded and left once again.
I stood gripping the bathroom sink and staring at myself in the mirror. My long blonde hair was in desperate need of product. The waves didn’t look natural anymore. I didn’t have any makeup on, and I was in sweats. Not normal. My thoughts drifted to Brayden, and the conversation we had in my bedroom just minutes before. He had feelings for me? How is this even possible? He’s only known me for a few days. Do I have feelings for him too? No, not possible. What am I even thinking?
No matter how hard I tried, the feeling wouldn’t go away.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

MissEmilyDickinsonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 17 at 1:44 pm:
Oh, I love this. It is rather fast-paced, but I love it. If it's alright to ask, is there more coming? I would love it, if there is more. You're an amazing and talented writer and person. You really have such a talent and greatness in you. It's true. :) Thank you so much, for sharing this. 

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 6, 2011 at 4:27 am:
I'm only on chapter two, but I love what you have going so far. I think you could take the story a tad slower though--everything seems to be happening at a really fast pace. I feel like the main character should be a bit more shocked at certain parts. Other than that, great job at what you have. The writing was pretty good overall. :)