New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Don't Need Anyone

Author's note: It's also humor or mystery, but it only allowed one tag:P
Enjoy. Don't let Renee get too crazy.
Enjoy. Don't let Renee get too crazy.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Prologue

I stumbled out of the car, heels striking the street with a pronounced clack. I stood up, ignoring the fire shooting through my legs, and had started towards the front door when a hand caught my wrist, spinning me around. Devon glanced down at me, worried.

“Ren, are you sure you’re OK?” he asked. I cringed at the name.

“Please don’t call me that.” It came out in a whisper.

A puzzled expression crossed his face. “Why…?” He shook his head. “You didn’t answer my question.”

“Yes, Devon,” I replied tiredly. “I am A-OK. Now could I please get inside?”

He let go of my wrist slowly, dark eyes on mine as I stumbled back to the door, fiddled with the lock, and slid inside.

I’d never even said it was a semi-good date.

At least, good by my standards. He’d taken me to a nice movie, a nice dinner, picked me up and dropped me off in a nice car, and paid for it all.

But he just couldn’t stop fussing.

“Renee, do you need help here?” “Is this too high for you?” “Want me to carry that?” “Will your parents be alright with this?” These comments plagued me the whole night. Yes, I’m fine. No, I do not need your help. No, they won’t care any more than they care about the Mets. Which isn’t a whole lot.

And the sad thing was, he was better than most of them.

Sighing, I shucked my four inch high daggers into the corner and crawled up the stairs—literally. Hands on one step, feet three below, hands up, feet up. It was the quietest way to get to the bedroom without alerting my parents to my presence.

I, on the other hand, was completely aware of theirs.

“James!” I winced as the shriek dug into my tender ears. Someday soon they’d start bleeding “What the hell is wrong with you? You bought a three hundred dollar suit just for a business meeting!” I reached my room. Quickly, I entered and closed the door behind me. My elbow snapped completely straight as it slammed shut, and a red haze crossed my vision. I slowly slid to my butt, but the voices continued.

“Yeah, a business meeting! For my job! You know, the one that keeps this roof over our heads?”

I dragged myself over to the bed, and slung a leg over the top. The other followed and, with more than a little effort, I lifted my head and torso to the cushion. Thank G-d I have such a short bed. The screams hadn’t ended yet. I buried my head beneath the pillow, breathing in the faint smell of cookie dough. I love my air freshener.

I stayed there for minutes. After all, what was the point in getting up? Lena wouldn’t text me till morning, and I didn’t have anything else to do.

My elbow begged to differ.

The initial shock of straightening it had worn off, but the dull ache I was forced to greet every night had returned. It grew, bit by bit, until I couldn’t ignore it anymore.

Cursing, I hopped out of my bed as if it were still two feet high. As I landed, my knees protested much more strongly than they had before. Dammit, at this rate I was going to be a grandma at sixteen.

I hobbled to the little station I’d erected in my room years ago. A small, chilled bucket stuffed with ice and box upon box of zipline bags. These bags of ice were my best friends every night.

Quickly scooping up and dumping ice into the bags, my fingers starting to go numb, I made decent time. About a minute later I was back in bed, one bag at the right elbow, one on each knee.

I glanced down at myself in satisfaction. See? I thought, towards Devon and all of the rest of them. I can handle myself. I don’t need anyone.

I could only hope someday they believed it. Because at the moment, none of them did.

Not even me.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

becauseHeloves said...
May 11, 2011 at 7:56 am:
I must say this is absolutely astounding! This is by far the best completed novel that I've read up here- I actually followed it to inkpop to finish it and I was not disappointed. Sure it had a few grammatical errors, but I almost completely forgot the fact that this was written by a fellow teen! No seriously, it felt like I picked this up of the library or bookstore shelf (perhaps Barnes & Noble ^.^) Keep it up! Do you have any other stories in the works or completed? I would seriously like... (more »)

becauseHeloves replied...
May 11, 2011 at 8:04 am :
Oh yeah! I got wrapped up in the compliments I forgot to mention the "credentials"- in other words, what got me hooked and kept me reading. You made the characters believable; the conversations were very realistic and did not sound scripted. You were able to convey a comical, satirical character without an over use of words or cheesiness. I am one happy reader! And again tell me of your work!!!

OfficialApprover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 10, 2011 at 7:29 am :

Thank you so much for the comment! :D It made me smile.  Yeah, I have other works--I haven't posted any of my other books o here, but on inkpop you can find my current book, Fading Broken Dreams. I have some short stories here. :D

Thanks again!

iamthebest replied...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 6:18 am :
Where can i read the whole book???????????

The~crayon~in~my~heart said...
ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!! more more!

Jun. 10, 2011 at 7:26 am :
:D If you want to read more, the whole book is posted on inkpop, another writing site

EmilyGram said...
Mar. 17, 2011 at 10:50 pm:
This is a really interesting story!  I love that the narrator has secrets and a history that the reader has to discover!  Your writing style is clear and simple.  Good job!  When the girls are passing notes, however, it's unclear at first what they are writing to each other.  You probably have those words italicized in your document, because that would help to clarify.  Triteness, such as "diarrhea of the mouth," might be explained by the narrator's voice and first-... (more »)

Mar. 18, 2011 at 8:31 am :

Thank you for the comment! =] On my Word document, the notes are in an entirely different font that looks like handwriting, but on hear, you can't see Italics or different fonts. =P

I'll try to get to it, but I have a lot of reads to get to, and my comments are very long. I'll add it to my list. =)

CrazyWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm:

this is great i cant even come up with critizism..........continue please

CRAZwrItER~

Mar. 7, 2011 at 6:03 am :
Haha thank you. I actually finished the book--the full thing is on inkpop. =]

CrazyWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 7, 2011 at 8:30 pm :
inkpop?

Mar. 8, 2011 at 1:25 am :
Inkpop is another writing website--the address is w w w. inkpop. c o m without the spaces.

SongSparrowThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 7, 2011 at 9:32 am :
I really wanted to read the rest, so I looked on inkpop and I couldn't find it! I mean I did... Sort of... I searched 'Don't Need Anyone', but it didn't come up in the projects section, I could only find it in comments, and then it wouldn't let me see the actual story. Help!!!

Apr. 7, 2011 at 3:02 pm :
I apologize! I've taken it down for editing, and nso I can focus on my current book. I may re-post soon. =)

VanendraThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 6, 2011 at 11:44 am:
WOW I loved this story so far, the sarcasm made me laugh a lot, but the emotionsare really strong too! I love it!!!!  ^-^

Mar. 7, 2011 at 6:03 am :
Thank you! =D  

Writomania This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 28, 2011 at 2:45 am:

hi! u should totally get this published.. it would be too sad if this wonderful piece of work never sees the light of the day.

please check out my work, "the diary of a teenaged lunatic" if u can :)

Feb. 28, 2011 at 11:02 am :
Thank you. =) I will certainly try to look at that.

Black_Ink said...
Feb. 18, 2011 at 8:48 pm:

The preview of your novel is just amazing. I loved the realistic characters and the plot line. You should look into publication [if you haven't already!] 

Good luck!(:

Feb. 19, 2011 at 2:02 pm :
Thank you! =D I'm going to do some major editing before I start querying, but I will at some point be looking into publication. ;]

Just.A.Dream said...
Feb. 18, 2011 at 4:50 pm:

I know that you have had a TON of feedback on Inkpop. And they did such a good job with the feedback I really don't have any criticism. :o

My only question is: people date that much at thirteen now? To me, this story sounds like it'd be from someone older than a thirteen year old, but that's just me.

I think I'm going to finish reading this on Inkpop because it was amazing. :)

You definitely need to send some queries about publishing because it was amazing. I'd definitely... (more »)