The Summer I Found Myself

By , Flint, MI
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »

So Alive

After that night Mike and I were inseparable. He picked me up to go to parties with him and we even double dated with Shelly and Carter.
Shelly and Carter were official. I saw something in Shelly that I didn’t even know existed. Her eyes, every time I saw her, were glowing with happiness. She laughed at nothing and smiled when every one in the world seemed to be sad. She was this girl that I’ve never met before.
I looked at her through her mirror as she got ready for the day. The life in her eyes was breathtaking.
“So, are we going to go to the beach today?” I asked Shelly.
“Well, I don’t know, because Carter really wanted to take me out to dinner. Do you think we can do it tomorrow?” She turned and smiled at me.
“Yea, That will be cool. Maybe Carter and Mike can come too.” I added.
She looked at me and her face lit up. “That would be great.” She smiled.
“Alright, well I’m going to meet Mike up at his house. I will see you later.”
“Alright, text me.” She turned back to the mirror.
I walked back to my house and on the way Mike passed me and picked me up.
“Hey you.” He smiled at me and kissed me.
“Where are we going today?” I asked.
“I was thinking we could go to Fort Raine today. Have dinner and walk along the beach.” He looked over at me with his beautiful green eyes and smiled.
“Sounds perfect.”
We drove to Fort Raine and outside of this Pizza Parlor he took my hand and kissed me. I felt an electrical current run through my body. I looked up at him as his eyes slowly opened and a smile played along his lips.
We walked into the Pizza Parlor and ate. Afterwards we started walking along the beach as the sun started to set over the horizon.
“So, whats your favorite board game?” he asked.
“I don’t really like board games but if I had to choose I think it would be Candy Land.” I laughed.
“Really” He said deep in thought.
“Hey, are we going to see the fireworks Tuesday? After all, the fourth of July only comes once.” I stared over the vast ocean ahead of me.
“Well, I guess we could. The only thing is Dylan’s dad, my uncle, is throwing this little cook-out. Would you like to come for a little bit? It might be a little weird, though.”
“I don’t mind. I would love to come.” I smiled and we both sat down on the sand and watched the sun slowly sink over the horizon.

***

I woke up that Tuesday morning with great expectations. I got ready and decided to wear a pair of Capri’s and a halter top. I curled my hair and put on a little bit of make-up.
I Drover over to Mike’s and he was there on the front porch waiting for me. He waved and walked over to me. I could see in the backyard there was a lot of people milling around.
“Hey, are you sure you want to enter? I think everyone is pretty much drunk or tipsy.” He laughed.
“I think I’ll survive.” I said.
“Alright, well let’s go.” He grabbed my hand.
We walked out into the backyard and Mike waved at Dylan who had some girl I remember from the grade under me hanging all over him. He guided me over to a guy with a button up shirt on and khaki shorts handling the grill.
“Hey Don, this is Macy.” I smiled at him and shook his hand.
“Where did you find this one? Do you go to school with Dylan?” Don asked.
“Yea, we had a few classes together in ninth grade.”
“Did you get held back or something?” he laughed.
“Actually, no, I started taking AP classes in tenth grade.” I said.
Disinterested in what I was saying he asked “Been to any of the football games to see him play?”
“I’m not really one for sports. I went to one game but to be honest, I had no idea what was going on.” I said forcing a smile.
“Oh,” he said “Well, where did you meet Mike at?”
“I met him at…” I caught Mike out of the corner of my eye shaking his head, eyes wide. Don, noticing that something was going on turned to look at Mike but He stopped in time. “I met him at a friend’s bonfire.”
“Oh, well it was nice to meet you.” He turned his attention back to the grill.
Me and Mike walked over to the patio and sat down at a picnic table.
“Sorry, he can be a bit overwhelming.” He said as he wrapped his arm around me.
“It’s okay. So, what exactly happened that you moved here?” I asked.
“It’s kind of a long story.” He said looking away from me.
“It’s fine, I think we have time.”
“Well, it all began when I met this kid in school. He was a drug dealer and told me he could get me fast cash. At that time I was so ready to move out of my dad’s house. He was prone to random freak outs and we fought all the time.” He paused for a second to make sure I was still listening. “Well, he told me he knew this guy who could give me a job but I had to talk to him first. When I met him he told me he needed a guy to boost cars for parts. And I told him that I could do that because I knew how to hot-wire.”
“Wait, what does boosting a car mean?” I asked confused.
“It means steal.” He chuckled a bit before starting back up.
“Where did you learn how to hot-wire a car?”
“I learned from this other kid I knew from school.”
“Gee, where did you go to school at?” I asked mortified.
“I went to Whittier High School. Anyways, it started out fine the first couple of weeks. I was making a lot of money from this guy. I boosted around 25 cars. It became almost like an addiction. I was always thinking about how much faster I could be and what car I was going to boost next. I would set a quota for myself, each one more intense than the last, until I ran into the cops. The picked me up trying to unlock this red cavalier until an alarm went off. I got so big headed that I didn’t even bother check if there was an alarm. Next thing I knew, I was cornered.
“They picked me up and put me in the holding cell and called my dad. He kicked me out and I called my uncle. He didn’t even want me to live here. He said I would be a bad influence on Dylan’s football career, and that having me here would take his eye off the prize. If that even makes sense.” He said laughing a little bit.
“I’m glad you told me this.” I said squeezing his hand.
“Yea, Its pretty easy to talk to you. Usually I have my guard up with everyone.” He said smiling.
We walked around and talked to a few people and ate and listened to music. It was a nice Forth of July with the sun beating down.
“Well, the fireworks are going to start in about an hour or and hour and a half. Where do you want to watch them at?” Mike asked me.
“I think we should go to Fort Raine. The beach and the ocean is so beautiful over there. I think it will be perfect.”
“Alright, well I’ll follow you over to your house so you can drop off your moms car and then we can head out there. How does that sound?”
“It sounds great.”
I drove back home and, just as he said, he followed behind me. I dropped the keys off inside and put them on the hook and went outside. I saw him sitting in his truck and I couldn’t help but feel so lucky. He turned toward me and the sun was setting in the background blanketing him in a warm orange glow. Excitement overwhelmed me as I felt so in love.
“You are looking very beautiful today.” He said as I climbed up in his truck.
“Thank you. You always know how to make my day.”
We headed out to Fort Raine. As we started entering the city limits their were cars everywhere. Along the shore fires dotted the horizon. Families milled around with bored disaffected teens trailing behind. We parked the truck and followed the crowds of people up towards the beach. We sat down and watched as the sun sunk into the ocean.
After waiting and watching the stars appear overhead dotting the sky, the fireworks finally started. The splashes of color stretched over the boardwalk and beach. The bang had people cheering from all over. The beaches were packed with couples leaning into each other and families. Some were roasting marshmallows over the fire and some were lighting off their own sparklers. Someone had a radio nearby blasting the star spangled banner.
We stayed sitting on the beach watching the art work being painted into the sky for a while. I was sitting between his legs leaning back into him. He ran his fingers up and down my arm giving me goose bumps. I looked up into Mike’s eyes as the colors blue and red reflected off his face. He looked down at me and kissed me. I felt my heart stop and excitement run straight through me.
The fireworks ended with a loud continuous bang and colors. We got up from the sand and walked back to the truck. The traffic was so bad. Horns were being honked and people were walking everywhere. We finally got out of the city limits and back to my house. Me and Mike sat in front for a long time kissing when I finally told him goodbye and walked back up to my house so happily in love.

Pink<3 said...
Wow!This book is really good!You should finish it!I was up till 3 last night because it was so interestring!!!

CreativeWriter2015 said...
I loved this story, it was so interesting!! You should write more!!

Emoizwatwer said...
Jun. 21, 2012 at 2:20 pm:
omg i could not stop reading this piece it was beautiful i can tell you would make an awesome writer it was an amazing story love it though you should make it longer

Daniii said...
May 31, 2012 at 4:34 pm:
This is a nice story! It has a good message, too. If you made this longer, I think it could definitely be published. Great job (:

ppl-hate-my-comments said...
Apr. 10, 2012 at 4:33 am:
I suppose it's an okay book. Maybe it's just not my type. I never had a soft spot for romance. But I think this could be improved a lot more by elaborating on several parts. Like some of the incidents Macy went through for an example. A bit about Stelly, perhaps? A bit more detail would make the plot a lot tighter too. And finally, talk more about the part where Macy found herself. Right an epilogue after she found herself, maybe? 

msoledadvc said...
Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:26 am:
Awesome! What you are trying to say is something we should consider when trying to feel confortable about ourselves doing things that actually do any good to us. I love the love part! You should try to get it published.

BluBirdWriter13 replied...
May 27, 2012 at 9:52 pm :
You like one direction too, they're so amazing.

nemish23 said...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:05 am:
Amazing book! Loved every minute of it! Fix up the grammar errors and spelling mistakes and you're on the way to having a great story on your hands! Keep up the good work!

hrf1434This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 22, 2012 at 11:37 am:
This is book is awsome! I propose that you work on a re-pwrite and try to getit puplished

PrincessSparkleStar said...
I love this book! Reading it made me feel really excited :) please check out my poem!

countrygirl28This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really, really loved the book, but there were a LOT of grammar issues. Other than that, it was excellent!!

Dakota_Love_LeFey said...
It was amazing!! It makes everyone truly beleive that they can find love and happiness just by being themself:) I recomend reading any book by Sarah Dessen she's my favorite author and i think ull enjoy her writing

countrygirl28This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:27 pm :
Sarah Dessen is my FAVORITE author!!!

Dakota_Love_LeFey replied...
Nov. 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm :
i LOVE her books

IT_WILL_RAINThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 1, 2012 at 3:57 pm :
me too i love the hidden message in them that sometimes you have to figure out yourself

HapHapHappy said...
So romantice!!!!!:)

PurpleWriter said...
Sept. 20, 2011 at 6:19 am:
LOVE IT!!!! write a book 2!!

LovelyNotes said...
Sept. 5, 2011 at 11:48 am:
It's very interesting to read :D
Although, there's some grammar issues, and I think that if they were corrected, I would be even more interested. I'll be reading the whole book C: 

LazyDaisyTheWriter said...
Aug. 29, 2011 at 9:45 am:
The last paragraph made me feel good inside, and I don't know why. Anyway..I'll be at the Boyfriend Shoppe getting a guy like Mike :D. Lol, I loved, loved, LOVED this!! You should add more and make it longer, and try to get it published!!! 

Brian21 said...
Makes you fell like you can do most anything now very inspirational