The Summer I Found Myself

By , Flint, MI
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »

Misunderstood

It is the perfect summer day out. It’s not too hot outside. I started getting antsy sitting on the roof like I was missing out on something. I got up and brushed off my shorts. I climbed back in my room and took a quick shower and changed.
I looked at myself in the mirror and decided a little makeup couldn’t hurt so I brushed on some foundation and put on some eyeliner. It couldn’t hurt to put some mascara on so I did, and when I looked at myself again I could see I was changing. I liked it.
I ran down the stairs and went into the kitchen where my mom was at and she looked over at me.
“What’s the occasion Macy?” My mom asked.
“There isn’t one. I just felt like doing my makeup today.” I glanced at her as I pulled a granola bar out of the cupboard.
“Well, you certainly look very pretty and mature.” She said smiling.
“Thanks mom, I think.” I said glancing away uneasily. “So mom, do you think I can borrow the keys? I really don’t want to sit around all day at the house. I’m thinking about spending an afternoon at the beach.”
“Well, I don’t know. You’ve barely had any real time driving alone since you got your license. Is Shelly going with you?” She asked
“I’m pretty sure.” I laughed a little.
“Well, alright. Don’t stay too late and take your cell phone so I can get a hold of you if I need the car alright?” She said handing over the keys.
“Thanks mom. I’ll see you a little later.” I kissed her cheek and walked out to the car. I pulled out of the driveway and drove over to Shelly’s house around the block.
As I got to the top of her stairs I had a sudden feeling coming over me that maybe she was too busy or would have other plans with Mariah. I quickly pushed the thoughts out of my head as I knocked and her mom called out to come in.
“Hey, is Shelly upstairs?” I asked politely.
“Yea, I think so.” She replied.
I walked up the stairs and opened the door and she was sitting at her desk doing her makeup completely dressed.
“Hey, I got the keys to my moms car. Do you want to come with me cruising or something?” I asked.
“Wow, I can’t believe she actually let you borrow it.” She gaped at me from the mirror.
“Yea, She said when she saw me today that I looked very ‘mature and pretty’ and then handed over the keys. It’s kind of making me nervous.” I said as I laughed.
“Alright, well I have to be home around 8.” She said as she glanced at the clock on her bedside table that read 1:22.
“What’s at 8?” I said as the unsettling feeling came over me again.
“Well, last night I met this guy named Carter. He is really cute.” She said as she turned around in her chair to face me. “We were talking and then started making out, right? Well, he asked for my number so he could see me again and about an hour ago he called and wants to take me to the movies tonight. I guess he can’t get enough of me.” She said laughing.
“Wow” My stomach clenched up. “why didn’t you tell me this morning in the car?”
“Well, I was going to but my head started hurting so bad that it was the only thing I could think about. So, I just wanted to get out of there quick and get some Advil in me.”
“Oh” The feeling went away. “Well that’s cool. I’ll have you back before then.” I smiled. “I’m thinking we can head out to Fort Raine to go shopping and hang out at the beach.”
“Its sounds good to me. Hang on a second while I finish my hair,” She said running her flat iron through her hair.
We left her house and were driving on the now busy streets on Greenville, Georgia. People were blaring their stereos and car horns were honking. Eventually we made our way out of the city and started driving for the east coast. Shelly had taken over my stereo and began playing ‘Just a Dream’ by Nelly. She was singing along and hanging her arm out of the window. As the streets were winding around we began seeing houses set closer together and kids riding their bikes on the sidewalks. The air grew saltier. The boardwalk came into view and I parked the car and me and Shelly got out.
“Today is such a beautiful day out. I just feel so relaxed whenever I come here.” I said looking up at the sky.
“It really is.” Shelly said peacefully.
We began walking down the boardwalk and came into view of Indian Summer. The cutest little boutique that had some of the cutest clothes I have ever seen.
We walked in and a girl behind the counter immediately smiled at us and asked us if there was anything we were looking for specifically. Shelly asked where they kept the there dresses and we went over and looked at them. Shelly picked out a couple things as did I and we both tried them on.
We did this for over an hour and Shelly ended buying a shirt and a pair of shorts. We walked out of Indian Summer and went over to a nearby bench and sat down.
“I am like so hungry.” She said after a few minutes of sitting down and watching people pass by.
“I think there is a restaurant up there somewhere.”
“Well lets go. I feel my stomach indenting.”
We walked up the boardwalk and a few guys were coming down our way. There were three of them and they were our age, maybe a little bit older. When we got ready to pass them one of them stopped smiling and asked “Did it hurt?” I looked at him confused and asked “Did what hurt?”
“When you fell from heaven?” My face blushed immediately and Shelly started laughing so hard that I couldn’t help but join in.
“I’m Ayden, and this Jason and Carson.” The guy with the pickup like said.
Shelly stepped forward and introduced us.
“Where are you headed?” Ayden asked.
“To the restaurant down there.” I replied.
“Well, we were heading up to the beach, maybe we will see you around?” he smiled down at me and I replied “Yea, sure.”
As soon as Shelly and I got far enough away from them Shelly let out a gasp.
“Oh my gosh Macy, How do you have all these hot guys falling all over you all of a sudden? First that cute boy Matt at the …”
“Mike” I corrected her.
“Right Mike at the party and now Ayden? Someone’s becoming a player.” She laughed as we walked into the restaurant.
Me and Shelly ate as I drifted in and out of the conversation. I wasn’t paying much attention but with Shelly, I didn’t really need to. She filled the silences all by herself. After we paid we headed back home. We finally made it back into Greenville and I dropped her off at house. I instantly felt bored. I texted my friend from school and asked her what was going on tonight, she replied back with Dylan’s. My mood lifted as I got into my room to get ready.
I went downstairs and decided to text Shelly to come and pick me up so we could go to Dylan’s house together.
She replied “I’m already here. Meet me here.”
“I can’t get my moms keys. I already had the car all day.”
“Well, I can’t drive. I’ve already been drinking.”
My stomach went into knots. Well since Dylan’s is luckily in the same neighborhood I decided I would just walk. Its only 9 after all. I set out to walk.
By the time I walked up to Dylans house it was a little past 10. I was getting there at prime partying time. When most people were showing up and plenty of people were already drunk. I texted Shelly to meet me outside. I sat down on the front steps to wait for her when I looked back inside and saw Mike talking to Mariah. He was smiling and she was laughing at something he said and touched his arm the way only a girl flirting would do. My stomach turned into knots and Shelly came up out of nowhere.
“Hey, drink this.” She pushed a beer into my hand. I grabbed it and chugged it down.
“Damn girl, Maybe I should get you another one.” She laughed and walked away.
I followed behind her into the house over to a large cooler. She grabbed two beers out of there for me. I opened the other one and chugged it down really fast.
“Woah there, Why don’t you take a break.” Shelly looked at me concerned.
I glared back at her as I opened my third beer. This one I decided I would take it easy and just drink it normally. That proved to be harder than expected. It didn’t go down as easy and when I drank it slowly the beer had a horrible taste. I cringed almost every time I took a drink. I wandered into the kitchen where there was a colossal size of liquor all over the counters. I picked up a pint of rum and dumped it into a cup with some coke. I sipped it. It tasted so much better. I started feeling really good when my vision started moving around. Whenever I tried to focus on somebody or something they were tilting. I decided to go and sit down on the couch and I horridly drank the rest of my cup.
Some guy came up to me and put his arm around me.
“Hey Girl.” He said.
I smiled weakly back and I couldn’t really focus on him.
He hand started moving up and down my arm when I tried to get up and walk away he pulled me back down on the couch.
“It’s okay. I got you.” He grinned slurring his words.
“No, Stop. I want to get up.”
“Its alright. Your just feeling a little sick.” His hand started rubbing my leg.
“No, seriously, Stop. I don’t want you to touch me.” He ignored me.
I tried to push him off of me and move away but his arm had a firm grip on my leg. He wouldn’t let me go.
“Get off of her.” Mike said as he was now standing in front of us.
“Hey man, she likes me. Just leave us alone." he said as he pulled me closer to him.
I looked up at him which was pretty hard to focus on as he yanked me up, ripping me from the grip of the other guy. I looked down at the red mark he made doing so. I glanced back up at him and glared.
“Please, save it for some girl that’s going to fall for the whole heroic act.” I said feeling the ice in my voice.
“What are you talking about? I was helping you out.” He said back confused.
I started walking away and as I got outside I tripped and fell in the front yard. I was so mad and angry that I just fell in front of who knows that tears started running down my face. My face got beat red as I stood up and looked down at my grass stained knees. I decided the best thing right now is to walk back home. I started down the street when I heard someone yelling my name.
“MACY!” they screamed.
I looked back to see Mike running after me. He caught up to me and looked into my eyes. His greens eyes made my heart beat flutter.
“Hey, I can give you a ride. I wasn’t even drinking. I swear.” He said.
“Why should I?” I asked
“Because…You don’t honestly want to walk all the way home.”
“I don’t know.”
“My truck is back there. Come on?” He said giving me his hand.
For once in my life I decided not to think. I stopped my mind and went with my heart. I looked up at his cute half smile and decided to take his hand.
He walked us back to his truck and helped me in it. He got in and turned on a little background music and started up his truck. The roar caught everyone’s attention if just for a moment. We started driving down the empty streets on Greenville. The stars were shining and it was absolutely beautiful outside, but I could barely concentrate with mike sitting so close to me.
I looked over at him and he turned his a little bit and smiled. He asked me where I lived and I told him. When we pulled up out front of my house he turned his truck off and we sat there in silence for a few minutes.
“I am really sorry for saying that tonight. I feel really bad.” I said as I turned away from him.
“Yea, why did you say that?”
“I don’t know. I just felt like you were playing me and I don’t want to be that girl..”
“What girl?”
“The girl that gets played and everyone knows it except her.” I said shyly turning to face him again.
“Well, I’m not that kind of guy. I won’t do that to you.” He said grabbing my hand.
My heart beat a little faster looking down and seeing his fingers intertwined with mine.
“I hope so.”
He leaned in and I could smell his cologne. His lips touched mine as he kissed me lightly.
My heart started beating so fast that I swore I would have a heart attack any second. My head started spinning and I just felt everything melting away.
He pulled away and sighed.
“What’s wrong?” I asked.
“It was exactly how I imagined.” He looked up at me and smiled that amazing half smile.
We both stared into each others eyes and laughed.
“Do you want to come and sit down on the gazebo in the backyard?” I asked.
“Sure.” He said as he turned off his truck.

Pink<3 said...
Wow!This book is really good!You should finish it!I was up till 3 last night because it was so interestring!!!

CreativeWriter2015 said...
I loved this story, it was so interesting!! You should write more!!

Emoizwatwer said...
Jun. 21, 2012 at 2:20 pm:
omg i could not stop reading this piece it was beautiful i can tell you would make an awesome writer it was an amazing story love it though you should make it longer

Daniii said...
May 31, 2012 at 4:34 pm:
This is a nice story! It has a good message, too. If you made this longer, I think it could definitely be published. Great job (:

ppl-hate-my-comments said...
Apr. 10, 2012 at 4:33 am:
I suppose it's an okay book. Maybe it's just not my type. I never had a soft spot for romance. But I think this could be improved a lot more by elaborating on several parts. Like some of the incidents Macy went through for an example. A bit about Stelly, perhaps? A bit more detail would make the plot a lot tighter too. And finally, talk more about the part where Macy found herself. Right an epilogue after she found herself, maybe? 

msoledadvc said...
Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:26 am:
Awesome! What you are trying to say is something we should consider when trying to feel confortable about ourselves doing things that actually do any good to us. I love the love part! You should try to get it published.

BluBirdWriter13 replied...
May 27, 2012 at 9:52 pm :
You like one direction too, they're so amazing.

nemish23 said...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:05 am:
Amazing book! Loved every minute of it! Fix up the grammar errors and spelling mistakes and you're on the way to having a great story on your hands! Keep up the good work!

hrf1434This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 22, 2012 at 11:37 am:
This is book is awsome! I propose that you work on a re-pwrite and try to getit puplished

PrincessSparkleStar said...
I love this book! Reading it made me feel really excited :) please check out my poem!

countrygirl28This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really, really loved the book, but there were a LOT of grammar issues. Other than that, it was excellent!!

Dakota_Love_LeFey said...
It was amazing!! It makes everyone truly beleive that they can find love and happiness just by being themself:) I recomend reading any book by Sarah Dessen she's my favorite author and i think ull enjoy her writing

countrygirl28This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:27 pm :
Sarah Dessen is my FAVORITE author!!!

Dakota_Love_LeFey replied...
Nov. 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm :
i LOVE her books

IT_WILL_RAINThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 1, 2012 at 3:57 pm :
me too i love the hidden message in them that sometimes you have to figure out yourself

HapHapHappy said...
So romantice!!!!!:)

PurpleWriter said...
Sept. 20, 2011 at 6:19 am:
LOVE IT!!!! write a book 2!!

LovelyNotes said...
Sept. 5, 2011 at 11:48 am:
It's very interesting to read :D
Although, there's some grammar issues, and I think that if they were corrected, I would be even more interested. I'll be reading the whole book C: 

LazyDaisyTheWriter said...
Aug. 29, 2011 at 9:45 am:
The last paragraph made me feel good inside, and I don't know why. Anyway..I'll be at the Boyfriend Shoppe getting a guy like Mike :D. Lol, I loved, loved, LOVED this!! You should add more and make it longer, and try to get it published!!! 

Brian21 said...
Makes you fell like you can do most anything now very inspirational