The Summer I Found Myself

By , Flint, MI
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

Truth or Dare

Over the next few days Shelly and I spent our time at the local swimming pool. We would talk, lie about, and gossip. It's almost like we didn’t just spend the last four years of our lives studying.
I never told her about Mike. I didn't want to ruin it when I didn't even know what was going on. I mean I didn't even know if he liked me for sure, and if there were any chances that he did, I wasn't going to jinx it.
"So, truth or dare." She asked me while we were lying out on our chairs.
"Truth." I replied.
"Is it true that you've never been kissed?" Shelly looked over at me with a bored expression on her face.
"I don't know why you asked me this question, you already know the answer. No, it isn't true because I kissed Jeremy Stone in fifth grade." I said while looking up at the sky.
"Fine, your turn." She reluctantly replied.
"Truth or Dare." I asked.
"I think I'm going to go with truth."
I swatted a couple flies away from me and pushed back my bangs that were getting wet due to the sweat beading from my forehead.
"Is It true..." Just as I was going to ask her a question, a bunch of girls came over to us that I recognized from the party.
"Hey, Its Macy and Shelly. What are you guys doing tonight?" A girl with long blonde hair asked.
"We don't know. We haven't really heard of anything going on." Shelly replied.
"Well, there's a party over at Duck Pond tonight. I guess it's a little ways out of town over at this kid Jason's family cabin. It's supposed to be awesome. There's going to be swimming, Fireworks, 2 working kegs, and Tons of people. You guys should totally come." The girl said very enthusiastically.
"Wow, It sounds like fun, I think we'll most likely check it out." Shelly replied back.
"Well, here's my number," she picked up a notebook and pen that was sitting next to Shelly and wrote down her number. "Just call me if you need directions or whatever." The girl said as she handed Shelly the piece of paper.
"Alright, thanks." Shelly said as the group of girls started walking away.
"Well," I said "That was weird and awkward."
"I met her last night. I was playing beer pong with her, remember?" Shelly asked.
"Sure." I said.
"Well, were going. That's for sure. I mean, look at it this way. We actually got invited." Shelly said with confidence.
That was one of those moments, where I was so glad I put make-up on and was wearing my new bathing suit.
"Alright, well, I think we should head over to my house and figure out what we're going to wear." Shelly said as she got up and started picking up her things, and piling them into her bag.
We got back over the Shelly's house and were up in her room and Shelly shuffled through her closet and dresser for things to try on. After what seemed like an hour Shelly had finally picked something out for herself and was now focused on me.
"How good are you at walking in heels?" Shelly asked.
"Why can't I just wear flats or something?" I whined.
"Stop being a baby. Fine, if you want to wear flats your subjected to wearing whatever I give you." She replied with a wicked smile on her face.
After seeing what she picked out for me, it wasn't so bad. It was a blue jean mini skirt with a pink halter top. I was surprised at how good I looked for once.
"Alright, you have to wear these pink flats.” Shelly handed them to me as I put it on.
We both looked in the mirror at each other and for once, you could tell we’re best friends.
“Alright,” Shelly announced. “Lets do this.”
We got to the party a little after ten. It was everything that the girl told us. There were lots of people milling around all over. Outside, there was a nice size bonfire and at least 20 people around it. Me and Shelly stepped inside where there was no space to walk around. We made it to the kitchen where the keg was and Shelly poured me and her a cup. We walked outside and went over to the bonfire. The girl who told us about the party was over there hanging out with a bunch of people. Shelly walked over there with me trailing right behind.
“I’m so glad you made it!” The girl turned and looked at us.
“Yeah, thanks Mariah.” Shelly told her.
“Is that keg beer?” Mariah asked as she scrunched up her nose.
“Yeah, we didn’t bring anything with us.” Shelly said.
“Well, hey, Kate bought me two fifths, so you and Macy can drink mine. Just follow me.” She said as she began walking over to a brand new porche. She opened the trunk and motioned for us to pour out our cups, so we did. She filled it half way with rum, and the other half with Coke. She stuck a straw in it and clapped her hands.
“Whenever you want some just ask me and I’ll come over here and fill them back up.” She said all chipper.
“Alright, thanks so much.” Shelly said.
“Yeah, thanks.” I replied.
“Don’t even worry about it.” Mariah replied.
We all three walked over to the bonfire and I took a sip of my drink and immediately cringed, but kept drinking anyways.
“Hey Macy.” Someone said behind me.
I turned around and saw Mike.
“Hey Mike, what’s up?” I said.
Shelly turned toward us and eyed Mike up and down.
“Hey, this is my best friend Shelly.” I said to him.
Shelly stuck out her hand and replied “Hey, You don’t live in Greenville, do you?” She said smiling.
“Actually, I just moved here. Dylan, the star quarterback is my brother. I’m living with him for the next year until I graduate.” Mike said,
“Wow, that’s so cool.” Shelly said to him still smiling.
“Well, Macy, Shelly, I’ll see you guys around.” He smiled as he started walking away.
“Oh, my gosh. Where the hell have you been hiding him?” Shelly asked as she swatted my arm.
“I met him over at Dylan’s. He was the one who helped me find you.” I said dryly.
“Oh, well, he’s cute.” She said as we both turned toward the fire. “Do you think he likes me?” She asked as she turned toward me grinning.
“I don’t know. Why don’t you just ask him?” I blurted out.
“That’s a great idea.” Shelly said as she finished her drink off, walking toward where Mariah was sitting.
Oh no. Why did I just say that? What if Mike likes her more? Why don’t you just walk over there and tell her how you feel? I thought.
I knew I wouldn’t though.
I chugged the rest of my drink no matter how much it burned going down. I have to tell her. I have to.
I walked over to where Mariah was filling up Shelly’s cup and I politely stuck my cup out as she filled it up and mixed it for me. I immediately started sucking it down when she gave it back to me. I started to feel really good. And all of a sudden I was walking up to everyone in sight and talking to them. Then I looked over and saw Mike standing there and decided to walk over to him.
“hey, your looking happy.” He said.
“I am, I am feeling really happy.” I said smiling from ear to ear.
“That’s good. So, where are you and Shelly sleeping tonight?” he asked.
“I really don’t know. And at this point I’m too happy to even care.” I said laughing.
“Well, Jason has an extra bedroom here. I can sleep on the couch and you two can sleep in there.” He said with that cute half smile.
“Wow, that’s really nice of you.” I replied. “Why did you move here?”
“I was getting into some bad things back home. Decided I needed a change of scene.” He said staring off somewhere.
“Oh hey you guys.” Shelly popped up sipping on her drink and stumbling a little bit.
I looked over and smiled.
“So, Mike found us somewhere to sleep.” I pronounced.
“If It’s anywhere by you, I’m game.” She said slyly toward Mike.
“I’m sorry but I’ll be sleeping on the couch.” He said casually.
“Bummer, would have been fun.” She said.
“Well, I’m going to go play some beer pong. Do you want to come with me Mike?” I asked boldly.
“Sure, maybe we can play on the same team.” He smiled down at me.
Mike and I walked toward the beer pong table with Shelly following behind.
Mike asked one of the guys who had next on the game and he replied back with nobody yet.
“I want to play.” Shelly whined leaning into Mike.
“Well you can play with Macy if you want.” Mike said looking away.
“No, that’s too bad. I was really hoping I could play on your team.” Shelly said batting her eyes.
“well, Mike, If you want you and Shelly can play first then I can play next game?” I said trying not to roll my eyes at Shelly.
“That would be great.” Shelly interrupted.
“Okay, I guess.” Mike replied not looking too happy.
Shelly threw the first cup and missed making it too far over the cups. The team across them sank the first cup and missed the second. Mike was up and sank the cup then Shelly missed.
“So, Macy, do you play any sports?” Mike asked turning his attention to me.
“I don’t. I’m pretty uncoordinated.” I replied back. I glanced over at Shelly and she seemed pretty uninterested in the game now that Mike wasn’t really talking to her.
“hey, Macy.” She said. “Do you just want to take my place? I think I’m going to go find Mariah to have her refill my cup.”
“No problem.” I replied.
Shelly walked away and I walked up to take her place. It was mine and Mike’s turn and we both immediately sunk the cups. A bunch of onlookers came over to watch the game as the winning team across from us began to lose. Every time they sank a cup me and Mike would switch turns drinking the beer. It was so much worse than the drink me and Shelly were getting from Mariah.
After about 20 minutes of playing the game we had at least 30 people crowding around us. People were yelling, screaming, and chanting. I felt as if I was playing basketball for the Celtics and I'm up to make a free throw.
We had one more cup, as did the other team. Finally, me and Mike both took our turns and on the last shot he made it. Everyone started screaming. But the game isn't over yet. If the other team can sink the last two cups then They win. Everyone watched as they were up. They both took there shot and missed each time. Me and Mike turn to face each other and gave a high five.
I lifted up my last remaining cup full of beer and downed it as fast as I could.
***
I woke up the next morning with my head hurting from and my mouth extremely dry. I rolled over on the bed and started to look around. The room had the fake wood paneling and the blanket I had draped over myself was some kind of fur. I hurriedly pushed it off me and saw Shelly laying next to me in Bed. She rolled over and her eyes opened and blinked a few times.
“Your up.” I said.
“Yea, for the moment.” She rolled back over and stretched.
We both got up and found our shoes and put them on. I walked out in the kitchen and I grabbed a glass full of water and gulped it down. My head hurt so bad and I was so dehydrated. I needed food in my stomach fast too. I went and met shelly out by her car.
“So, that was fun last night.” Shelly said with a smirk.
“Yea, it was.” I said thinking back to Mike and how he had admitted to me last night that he liked me.
“So, that kid you were talking to all night, you like him?” She said with a smile.
“I think so.” I admitted while looking down at the ground smiling.
“Well, I think my stomach might explode if I don’t eat something. I am so hungry.” Shelly laughed.
After me and Shelly stopped by Speed & Shop, our local gas station, to get some nachos and water she dropped me off at home. I went up to my room and laid down on the bed.
I can’t believe how much fun the previous night was. For once I was talking to people and I wasn’t even shy about it. I decided to go and sit out on my roof. I could see Shelly’s house perfectly from my room.
Shelly and I have been friends since before I could remember. One time her mom made cookies for us, and almost burned down the kitchen. She wasn’t exactly the handiest cook, but she was nice and always ordered pizza for us when we asked. All of my best memories are with Shelly. Like the time she asked out Jake Nelson for me and when he said no punched him right in the nose causing her to get suspended. She always had my back.

Pink<3 said...
Wow!This book is really good!You should finish it!I was up till 3 last night because it was so interestring!!!

CreativeWriter2015 said...
I loved this story, it was so interesting!! You should write more!!

Emoizwatwer said...
Jun. 21, 2012 at 2:20 pm:
omg i could not stop reading this piece it was beautiful i can tell you would make an awesome writer it was an amazing story love it though you should make it longer

Daniii said...
May 31, 2012 at 4:34 pm:
This is a nice story! It has a good message, too. If you made this longer, I think it could definitely be published. Great job (:

ppl-hate-my-comments said...
Apr. 10, 2012 at 4:33 am:
I suppose it's an okay book. Maybe it's just not my type. I never had a soft spot for romance. But I think this could be improved a lot more by elaborating on several parts. Like some of the incidents Macy went through for an example. A bit about Stelly, perhaps? A bit more detail would make the plot a lot tighter too. And finally, talk more about the part where Macy found herself. Right an epilogue after she found herself, maybe? 

msoledadvc said...
Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:26 am:
Awesome! What you are trying to say is something we should consider when trying to feel confortable about ourselves doing things that actually do any good to us. I love the love part! You should try to get it published.

BluBirdWriter13 replied...
May 27, 2012 at 9:52 pm :
You like one direction too, they're so amazing.

nemish23 said...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:05 am:
Amazing book! Loved every minute of it! Fix up the grammar errors and spelling mistakes and you're on the way to having a great story on your hands! Keep up the good work!

hrf1434 said...
Jan. 22, 2012 at 11:37 am:
This is book is awsome! I propose that you work on a re-pwrite and try to getit puplished

PrincessSparkleStar said...
I love this book! Reading it made me feel really excited :) please check out my poem!

countrygirl28This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really, really loved the book, but there were a LOT of grammar issues. Other than that, it was excellent!!

Dakota_Love_LeFey said...
It was amazing!! It makes everyone truly beleive that they can find love and happiness just by being themself:) I recomend reading any book by Sarah Dessen she's my favorite author and i think ull enjoy her writing

countrygirl28This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:27 pm :
Sarah Dessen is my FAVORITE author!!!

Dakota_Love_LeFey replied...
Nov. 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm :
i LOVE her books

IT_WILL_RAIN replied...
Jan. 1, 2012 at 3:57 pm :
me too i love the hidden message in them that sometimes you have to figure out yourself

HapHapHappy said...
So romantice!!!!!:)

PurpleWriter said...
Sept. 20, 2011 at 6:19 am:
LOVE IT!!!! write a book 2!!

LovelyNotes said...
Sept. 5, 2011 at 11:48 am:
It's very interesting to read :D
Although, there's some grammar issues, and I think that if they were corrected, I would be even more interested. I'll be reading the whole book C: 

LazyDaisyTheWriter said...
Aug. 29, 2011 at 9:45 am:
The last paragraph made me feel good inside, and I don't know why. Anyway..I'll be at the Boyfriend Shoppe getting a guy like Mike :D. Lol, I loved, loved, LOVED this!! You should add more and make it longer, and try to get it published!!! 

Brian21 said...
Makes you fell like you can do most anything now very inspirational