The Summer I Found Myself

By , Flint, MI
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

A New Beginning

The day started out like any other. I woke up with the sun shining down over my head. As I stretched I rolled over on my belly to look out my window that overlooked the backyard. It was a beautiful day. Not a cloud in sight.
I got up and got dressed for the first day of summer. This is going to be the best summer of my life.
Shelly, my best friend, came over around 3 to pick me up so we could go to the mall and get new bathing suits. I got in her car as a song blaring full blast wound down to the end.
“So, tonight there is a party over at Dylan’s house” Shelly told me.
“Were we even invited?” I asked skeptical.
“Not technically, but do you think that anyone is ever invited?”
“Yea, I actually do. You know most people aren’t outcasts like us. They actually get invited to parties. It’s like a code or something.” I said as I looked over at her.
“Macy, If we don’t go to the first party of the summer people are going to peg us as losers for our senior year. Not that we aren’t already. Live a little, please?” Shelly begged from me.
“Fine, but if it gets uncomfortable, I’m leaving. No buts. Deal?” I said firmly.
“Alright. Deal.” She said as she turned up the radio and began singing along to some Carrie Underwood.
We got to the mall and Shelly and I began looking at cute skirts and wedges. We both bought a cute party outfit for tonight as well as some extremely cute bathing suits. My bathing suit has ruffles on the edges and is a soft pink color. Shelly’s bathing suit is platinum blue with green stripes down it.
As we got back to my house, Shelly told me she would be back to get me around 10 tonight. As much as I’d like to deny it, I was pretty excited. I mean, for once I would be able to socialize like a normal person.
Me and Shelly were not sent to social exile by fault. We chose to spend time studying for quizzes on the weekend when normal teens were out drinking. Which in fact pegged us as the academic nerds. Were not ugly. I mean, both of us have average weight . But not like those other girls who choose not to eat and become twigs. We’re normal.
I have really long brown hair accumulated after I went on this strike after my mom cut my hair in a bob in freshman year. As it turns out, it’s pretty wavy. Shelly is a natural blond that is cut at shoulder length. Her mom takes her to the Salon so she never had to go through the traumatic stages of puberty the way I did.
Shelly has always worn make-up but I don’t see the reason to put any on. I only wear make-up on special occasions or if I’m really trying to impress someone.
I’ve been asked out a few times but me and Shelly just tend to keep to our studies. “If you ever want to get into Brown you need to be prepared.” Shelly would always tell me after I would start complaining about prepping for the SAT s.
This summer though, after we finally realized that we are practically graduated we’d both decided that we would become more socially active. Or in Shelly’s case, Get drunk and for once not care about school or any of the other pressures that had been laid out for us.
Shelly arrived over my house around 10:30. I walked downstairs and past the living room where my mom and dad were watching a show on TV.
“Where are you going?” My mom turned from the TV screen and looked at me.
“Me and Shelly are going to go to the movies and then I’m going to stay the night at her house.” As I told her the first thing that had popped into my head.
“Why are you dressed like that? I don’t want you out traipsing downtown at the theater wearing clothes like that.” She scorned.
As she said that my dad then looked over at me.
“Mom please, I just thought for once I would care what my appearance looked like. It’s not a big deal.” I said.
After a few moments passed she finally said “Alright, but don’t forget your mace. You can never be too safe at night.” She said as she looked at me carefully, like she could see right through my lies. But when I thought she was going to send me back to my room to change, her and my dad both turned their attention back to the screen.
I slipped out the door and climbed in the front seat of Shelly's car.
“Gosh, I thought you were going to take forever.” She playfully laughed.
“Sorry, my mom decided that tonight she would pay attention to me or what I wore. I’m good now though. She just told me to bring my mace.” I said back.
“Nice, did she use the whole ‘You can never be too safe’ line on you?” She asked teasingly.
“Funny, but she actually did.” I laughed.

Pink<3 said...
Wow!This book is really good!You should finish it!I was up till 3 last night because it was so interestring!!!

CreativeWriter2015 said...
I loved this story, it was so interesting!! You should write more!!

Emoizwatwer said...
Jun. 21, 2012 at 2:20 pm:
omg i could not stop reading this piece it was beautiful i can tell you would make an awesome writer it was an amazing story love it though you should make it longer

Daniii said...
May 31, 2012 at 4:34 pm:
This is a nice story! It has a good message, too. If you made this longer, I think it could definitely be published. Great job (:

ppl-hate-my-comments said...
Apr. 10, 2012 at 4:33 am:
I suppose it's an okay book. Maybe it's just not my type. I never had a soft spot for romance. But I think this could be improved a lot more by elaborating on several parts. Like some of the incidents Macy went through for an example. A bit about Stelly, perhaps? A bit more detail would make the plot a lot tighter too. And finally, talk more about the part where Macy found herself. Right an epilogue after she found herself, maybe? 

msoledadvc said...
Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:26 am:
Awesome! What you are trying to say is something we should consider when trying to feel confortable about ourselves doing things that actually do any good to us. I love the love part! You should try to get it published.

BluBirdWriter13 replied...
May 27, 2012 at 9:52 pm :
You like one direction too, they're so amazing.

nemish23 said...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:05 am:
Amazing book! Loved every minute of it! Fix up the grammar errors and spelling mistakes and you're on the way to having a great story on your hands! Keep up the good work!

hrf1434 said...
Jan. 22, 2012 at 11:37 am:
This is book is awsome! I propose that you work on a re-pwrite and try to getit puplished

PrincessSparkleStar said...
I love this book! Reading it made me feel really excited :) please check out my poem!

countrygirl28This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really, really loved the book, but there were a LOT of grammar issues. Other than that, it was excellent!!

Dakota_Love_LeFey said...
It was amazing!! It makes everyone truly beleive that they can find love and happiness just by being themself:) I recomend reading any book by Sarah Dessen she's my favorite author and i think ull enjoy her writing

countrygirl28This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:27 pm :
Sarah Dessen is my FAVORITE author!!!

Dakota_Love_LeFey replied...
Nov. 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm :
i LOVE her books

IT_WILL_RAIN replied...
Jan. 1, 2012 at 3:57 pm :
me too i love the hidden message in them that sometimes you have to figure out yourself

HapHapHappy said...
So romantice!!!!!:)

PurpleWriter said...
Sept. 20, 2011 at 6:19 am:
LOVE IT!!!! write a book 2!!

LovelyNotes said...
Sept. 5, 2011 at 11:48 am:
It's very interesting to read :D
Although, there's some grammar issues, and I think that if they were corrected, I would be even more interested. I'll be reading the whole book C: 

LazyDaisyTheWriter said...
Aug. 29, 2011 at 9:45 am:
The last paragraph made me feel good inside, and I don't know why. Anyway..I'll be at the Boyfriend Shoppe getting a guy like Mike :D. Lol, I loved, loved, LOVED this!! You should add more and make it longer, and try to get it published!!! 

Brian21 said...
Makes you fell like you can do most anything now very inspirational