Forever One

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

A War has Begun

As we stood on the edge of the beautiful spring green bluff staring down at the old castle the wind rustled through the pine scented forest behind us and spun my beloved twin sister’s raven hair with my own snow colored curls.
“Edana,” I whispered placing my pale hand on her delicate shoulder.
“Yes?” she asked turning.
Her sparkling emerald eyes were always unsettling paired with her raven hair that hosted a single scarlet streak. Yet she said the same thing about me and my cold grey eyes and snowy curls that shimmered with an ice blue streak. Though we were elves, she claimed it gave an almost wraith-like appearance whereas I felt she looked like a fire goddess.
“Eda… We need to leave.” I sighed almost as if I had only just admitted it to myself.
From where we were we could see the fires of the war-mongering forces of Isoa, the king of the Demons. The Demonic race are truly terrifying beasts, their skin is created from the ashes of the bodies from the first war in which their leader, my father’s brother, Isoa was removed from our sparkling, time-untouched utopia. Isoa was trying to gain the throne from our ailing father, and due to the war my sister, our beloved guards, Mohan and his brother Aden, and myself were under direct orders to leave.
“But Lillith,” she groaned, for once speaking verbally instead of using one of our many talents, telepathy. “We are daddy’s best warriors! Why are we being forced to leave?! He is the one who should go into hiding, after all, he is ill. We could lead his forces and he knows it!” I was referring to our father who was as old as time itself— Albrich, King of the Elfish. “Lillith... You are the calm one, I know you never seem hurt, are you sad we must leave? Father has ordered it but... You know he’d never let you fight. You’re just like mother, you may be an excellent fighter, cold and calculating, but he misses her. He’d be heartbroken to lose you but its still not fair!. “Edana sighed. She hugged me from behind.
“I know he cares about you, Edana. You’re too much like him. He doesn’t want you to lose control and hurt too many people.”
I said, hiding the tears. I was the sensitive one but I refused to show it in public. I was a princess; we aren’t supposed to cry. We are also not supposed to be able to fight. We’re just supposed to sit there, do our needlework, play the harp and sing.
“Come on. We have to go back to Mohan and Aden before they pull us away from the bluff. I think Aden will break if you don’t go to him soon.”
“You’re right…” I sighed and went to the boys.
Aden looked at me worriedly, his frozen blue eyes full of concern. “Are you alright, Princess Lillith?”
“Yes, my apologies.” I whispered, walking past him. I ignored the sad look on his face, but no one could know I loved him or that he loved me. We were in different classes; a princess can’t be betrothed to a knight.
As little as I agreed with that law, it was the way our people had lived for the past thousand years. Who were my sister and I to change that simply because we loved a pair of knights…There was no way I’d tell my sister, but I knew about she and Mohan’s secret relationship.
Aden was a calm, spirited healer. He hated fighting but his dad forced him to become a knight. For this I was happy; we may never have met if he hadn’t. He had frost colored curls with a slate streak and shimmering, ice-blue eyes. Mohan, on the other hand, his fiery, easily-angered spirit was reflected in his raven hair, scarlet streak and evergreen eyes. Both twins were sweet as could be, but they were our guards. We could never let anyone know about our relationships, but for now we could at least enjoy it.

“Princess Edana?” Mohan said kindly. “Is everything alright? Your sister never does that. She never just walks past my brother. She usually at least pats his shoulder…. He’s going to be upset for a while now…. But are the two of you okay?”
Mohan was rambling; he always does when he’s nervous. Poor thing. I hadn’t realized just walking past his brother without the normal pat on his shoulder would upset Aden. I would have to find a way to make it up to Aden and Mohan later.
“Mohan,” Edana said. “We’re fine, and if I know my sister, she just needs a break. She feels that our father thinks she’s weak, but we know she isn’t. She’ll be back to normal soon.” She smiled and caught up to me quickly. “Lil…. You nearly made Aden cry, you should know better. You know he’s sensitive. Go to him. We’ll wait here for you. We won’t leave without you.”
I suspected she knew about my secret relationship with Aden… “Are you sure we have enough time? We need to get away quickly, remember daddy’s orders?”
“We have enough time for you to explain to Aden. I swear that Mohan and I will not leave.” Edana rolled her eyes, making it plain she was beginning to get annoyed with my worrying.
“I- Fine…” I consented with a sigh, and took Aden by the arm and led him away from his brother and toward the forest.
“P-princess?” Aden said, shocked. I very rarely took him from the others, especially after giving him the cold shoulder.
“I’m sorry.” I whispered, wrapping my arms around my dear knight. “I had not meant to upset you when I walked past. It’s just…I’m trying to deal with something.”
“Lillith, it’s ok. I was just worried. You never just walk past me.” He smiled kissing my forehead. “I thought I had done something to make you angry. I didn’t want to say anything in front of our siblings, but I was a little insecure over your actions.”
“Aden, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to! “I was hiding the fact that I was scared that he was still mad at me. You see, my mother, before her untimely death when I was 5 had abused me. She trained me that no one could ever truly love me or care. I hoped Aden was different though.
“Lillith, it’s fine,” he tilted my chin up so I was looking into his lovely eyes and kissed me softly. “I’m not mad dear. I could never be mad at you. I swear I’m not mad.”
The tears slid out my eyes and down my cheeks before I could stop them. “A-Aden…I love you… I just don’t want to hurt you again… I’m scared to lose you like I’ve lost almost everyone else. I’m even losing Daddy now… It’s Mom all over again…”
“Lillith,” he picked me up holding me on him. “Lillith I love you. You will never lose me. I swear. I will stay at your side forever, even if we have to run away to be together.” He pulled a hand made ring from his vest pocket, “Lillith, I was trying to find a better time but… may be this will help you. Will you marry me, my princess?”
A gasp escaped my lips as he asked, he knew I was forbidden but I wanted this so bad. It had plagued my dreams for the past three years, “Y-yes… Yes I will.” I knew that if my father did not approve I had just signed his death letter… but for once I was doing what was best for me.
“Thank you.” He whispered and kissed me gently holding me for a few more seconds before we went back to my sister.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 Next »