Mother's Baby Girl

Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

Why Me?

I woke up in the middle of the night from a loud scream in my mother’s bedroom. I crawl out of my bed, keeping as quiet as possible, hoping my skin blends in with the darkness of the night. I hear another loud noise, except this time it was not a scream; it was more like a powerful thump on the wall. I poked my head out the door to see this tall man, whose skin shined through the night, dragging something out my mother’s room. I couldn’t see who or what it was. When he left out the door I ran into my mother’s room and hid under the little sheets and cried and cried because now I knew that my mother was the one that was dragged out.
The next morning, I hear screams and many voices outside my home. I walk outside and see a line of people like me looking in terror. There was maybe 50-100 people half naked, sweating and some bleeding, while these tall white men walk up to a girl that went to school with me: Koki Okuwu. He yells at her and shakes her body by her arms and then he lifts his hand in the air and strikes her face with a lightening slap. She instantly fell to the ground and I let out a high scream and was then noticed by one of these white men. He walked toward my home and I quickly ran inside, fearing for my life. I hear the door open and these heavy footsteps pace across my floor. My heart begins pounding and pounding and pounding because I know I’m going to die. Suddenly, the footsteps cease and I believe that I’m safe, only to be snatched out of my hiding place screaming and dragged outside. He punches me in the stomach and calls me a female and that’s when I know to shut up forever.
The man drags me in line with the rest of my fellow Africans. They take these chains and group us together and we follow these men. The long walk and pain was excruciating and people began to pass out from the heat. I hear many shots along the way and was afraid to turn around because I know some people were killed. The chains were heavier than when they were first put on and I was unsure if it was from the heat bearing on me or the weight of the dead bodies still connected to the chains. We see a ship in the distance, hoping that’s our destination because our feel have been bruised, cut, and covered with blisters.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »