Wishing in the Woods

Author's note: My grandmother's quote, "If we were all the same, life would be boring." truly inspired me.
Author's note: My grandmother's quote, "If we were all the same, life would be boring." truly inspired me.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next »

Letting it All Out

“Ummm…Violet? Can I have a word with you?” My nerves feel like high voltage wires zinging through my body.
“Of course! Have a seat!” I know she is beginning to feel better because my sister has more keenness.
I explain that I feel as if she receives all of the attention at home and that she never acknowledges me. Also, how mom and dad love her more than they love me. When I finish, I hold my breath waiting for her to respond.
“Ella, I am so sorry. Before you told me this, I never even noticed. Why didn’t you tell me this sooner?!”
“I thought you…,” I trailed off. At that point, I was in complete shock. “I thought you did not actually care about me. Almost as if you did it on purpose,” I answer, still in shock.
“Oh Ella! I would never do that to you! I just always have so much to say…”
I gently hug her and say, “I completely forgive you. I am grateful for having you as my sister.” Now, it is my parent’s turn.
“Mom, dad. We need to talk.”
We sit down and I enlighten them on how I feel. I tell them that since I am unlike Violet; they love her more than me. I provide an example; the way they go to her cheerleading games without me. Also, how they always let Violet talk about her day at dinner. I feel as suffocated as a butterfly trapped in a jar.
My mom interjects, “Honey! We love both of you equally! We do not take you to Violet’s games because we feel that you have no interest. Also, you love to sleep in!” My mom stops. I can tell that she is hurt. Come on mom! I just have to tell you how I feel!
Now it is my dad’s turn. “Ella, we love you so much. She gets to talk at dinner because you never have anything to say. We are sorry you feel this way.” That is right! They did not notice because I am stoic! We all hug, and everyone feels a great deal better. My parents and I go to go join my sister Violet. After a quick lesson in the proper use of crutches; we sign out and leave the hospital.
Sunday goes by swiftly for some reason. Maybe it is because I accomplished my goal yesterday. We visit the doctor and he says that Violet will be fine. Then we eat ravioli for dinner, my favorite! The overwhelming scent of freshly made marinara sauce makes my stomach start to grumble. For once I actually feel accepted. I laugh and talk, not having to hide my feelings! My family and I really cherish that day.