Wishing in the Woods

Author's note: My grandmother's quote, "If we were all the same, life would be boring." truly inspired me.
Author's note: My grandmother's quote, "If we were all the same, life would be boring." truly inspired me.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

The Hospital

“It is your sister! Violet,” my mother begins to choke and sob, “She fell during a flip and is injured! Dad will be there in less than ten minutes to take you to the hospital.” The phone drops out of my hand. I stand in the meadow barely able to stand upright. Janet picks up the phone and explains to my mom that I must be in shock. She gently tugs at my sleeve to guide me back to my house. I numbly follow her into my dad’s car.
At the hospital, all I can think about is seeing my sister. Violet, where are you! The nurse says she is in room thirty-three. I sprint there and cautiously open the door. There she is, in the bed, looking extremely pallid. Miscellaneous wires are attached to her as she gives me a faint smile. I reach to my face to find tears rolling down in plump drops. The salty tang of ocean water gradually falls to my mouth.
“I’m so glad you came! I managed to break my left leg and severely scrape my hands.” I was overjoyed to have her alive and generally well. I give her a hug and tell her how thrilled I am to see her. She winces, and I let go as I realize how unbelievably fragile Violet looks.
Janet is able to meet my sister and even gives her a get-well-soon hug! They are both enthusiastic people, so they got along well. My parents also took a liking to my new friend. They have never met one of my friends before because I never actually had one until yesterday!
Janet Snowbound is comforting as we sit in the hospital together. She tells me that now would be a golden opportunity to confess my feelings to my sister and parents. I am a bit anxious, but I know she is right.
Mr. and Mrs. Snowbound come to pick Janet up so they can meet my parents. They look extremely similar to their daughter. My mom and dad thank Janet’s parents for coming to pick her up. They also appreciate how they let her accompany me to the hospital. Janet’s parents say it was no problem and they are glad to meet my parents. They convey the impression of liking each other’s company.
It was time for me to say goodbye to Janet. “Well, I’ll see you at school tomorrow!”
She gave me a swift hug as she whispered, “Good luck with your confessions.” After that, she left me to have conversation with my family. My course of action was to start with my sister.