The Book

Skyness
The Book
Summary: Julia is in a complete new world. She is an exchange student from Ukraine and she's going to spend a year in USA. Julia faces the differences every single day. How is she going to spend her year in USA? What adventures are waiting on her? The answers are in the following short stories.

RachelinUkraine said...
Your writing is truly incredible. There is something beautiful and captivating about the way one expresses themself in a language that is not their own. Your stories are emotional, engaging the reader and making them believe in a perspective that challenges their own. You have also learned the greatest trick of the short story: the circle. By the end, everything is united. The story about the piano player was my favorite; what a pretty thought. Keep writing, my girl. You have immense talent!

Skyness replied...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 5:27 pm :
Thank you for your attention and your time, Rachel. I'm glad that you had a nice time reading my stories. That was my aim: to entertain, but not to make some brainwashing with important questions of being. Well, at least not in these stories. Thanks a lot!!!!

pcvadaminukraine said...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 3:49 am:
I liked this story immensely. The issues of language and of understanding individual words are clearly communicated, and although the grammar isn't completely "standard," that actually makes the story more effective at points, and I wouldn't "correct" it. It makes the narrative voice feel more like Julia's thoughts. Your descriptions are short, but extremely powerful, and make the reader imagine the truth of what you say. Sentences like "The city continued to live, unlike her." make me feel like... (more »)

Skyness replied...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:51 am :
I'm very grateful for your comment, even though I have no idea who you are. It was my aim to make a reader to feel specific way. And it makes me happy when in comments like this I read that I succeeded. Thank you!!!!

pcvadaminukraine replied...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 10:45 am :
I'm a friend of Andrea Zimmermann's, and I also work for Peace Corps Ukraine.

AndreainUkraine said...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 3:03 am:
I love the way your stories have a little twist at the end and then come full circle. Your insights into such everyday problems have a real ability to connect with your readers, regardless of their age. I'm going to share this with all of my friends. I can't wait to read your next story! :)

Skyness replied...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:53 am :
Dear Andrea! I'm extremely grateful for all your efforts! I know that I reply the same way to every comment, but unfortunately there are no synonyms to the phrase 'thank you'. So, thank you, Andrea!!!

auliere said...
These stories are so interesting! Being an exchange student is not easy at all...

Skyness replied...
Jan. 1, 2012 at 8:30 pm :
Thank you, Auliere (I wonder what your nickname means). It depends. For me it's not hard for some reason. Are you homesick?

auliere replied...
Jan. 1, 2012 at 9:41 pm :
I don't think that my nickname means something, I made it up. 'Hard' may be the wrong word. I mean that sometimes it is tricky to understand other people because of the culture, language etc. It is fun though. I like the way you show the feelings of an exchange student in your stories.

sophia33 said...
Hey again, I just read the part about pages to prisoners. I feel like I can relate to it so much! It has so much feeling. At my college we can volunteer at pages to prisoners and I think I'm going to now. It's sounds really awesome. I love how you describe it as a mystical experience. Those are the best experiences where they feel like they are touching something holy!

Skyness replied...
Jan. 1, 2012 at 7:29 pm :
I was there once and it was unforgettable. It was definitely inspiring for me and I'm going to write another short story about it. I strongly recommend you to to volunteer there! The feeling is touching...especially the part about writing letters.

sophia33 said...
Hey! I don''t know if you remember me, but we met once at church and I saw on facebook that you wanted feedback! This story is so awesome. It has such a good plot and turnaround at the end! I didn't know you could write!

Skyness replied...
Jan. 1, 2012 at 7:31 pm :
Thaaaaaank you! You can't imagine how all these coments and words are making me happy! thank you. Yes, I do write. Hopefully, I will all my life!

drkittywills said...
WOW! What a great short short story. I like the perspective of an exchange student. This is cool!

Skyness replied...
Jan. 1, 2012 at 7:31 pm :
Thank you!