Entwined

Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

My Escape

It’s dark outside as I climb out of my bedroom window onto the roof. My eyes scan the ground trying to determine how high up my second story window is from the ground. I can’t decide whether I should use the back porch or the massive oak tree to get down. Both are good options but the oak tree seems more convenient. Carefully I grab onto a limb and hoist myself onto the trunk. The bark scratches my face and pulls against my clothes while I struggle to get good footing. Suddenly my bedroom light switches on and I see my brother Ethan walk inside. Pressing my body against the tree I pray he won’t see me.
“Courtney Shay?” he calls and walks to my bed, throwing off my comforter only to reveal a pile of pillows.
He steps back furrowing his eyebrows. Cupping his chin with his forefingers he stops and thinks then glances up looking directly at me. I nearly fall out of the tree until I realize he is only looking at my curtains swaying in the breeze.
“Courtney Shay.” He says walking over to the window and sticking his head out.
I don’t answer. He pulls the curtains back and the stream of light shines on my face.
Ethan’s midnight green eyes burn into my dark amethyst eyes intensely.
“I can explain.” I stammer.
“You were eavesdropping weren’t you?”
“Yes but-“
“You heard everything?”
“Yeah-“
“Then what are you still doing here?”
I gap at him, “What?”
“You know what’ll happen if you stay here. Courtney Shay get out of here.”
“You’re helping me escape?”
“Yes of course. Did you think I would agree with her and send you off to FLEET?”
I don’t answer Ethan grabs a duffel bag and fills it with my clothes.
“I deposited 200 dollars for you at Lisa’s store. Go get them and then come back for your duffel bag. I’ll have everything ready but be careful don’t talk to anyone. Mom’s got her spies already.”
I gulp down the lump forming in my throat and climb down the tree without looking back.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »