New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

The Healing

Author's note: This isn't the complete book, but I am too excited to wait until it's done to submit it! Be prepared, it's intense.
Author's note: This isn't the complete book, but I am too excited to wait until it's done to submit it! Be prepared, it's intense.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next »

Parents suck

Then mom came home early. EARLY. The one time I wanted her gone she came. Parents suck.
“Hello? Jenna? Joe? Anybody - oh! Hello Todd.” She said in her high-pitched fake loving voice. Ew. When did my mother get this annoying? Who was this woman? She was tall with long legs like mine; we had a 32 inch in-seam, she was skinny and had black hair, and she had blue eyes, like mine, now he hair was flecked with grey, lot’s of grey actually, her eyes were more like grey and she had bit puffy black circles under them, and she somehow got shorter. What happened to her?
“Hey Ms. Petrakis.” I quickly wiped under my eyes. Crap my mascara ran. Now I can’t hide it.
“Joe’s at a friends, mom. I didn’t think you’d be home.” I tried to ask if this was going to be a constant thing with my eyes, like you see in movies.
“I had an appointment and thought I’d come home. Want me to order out?” She was awkward. I felt sorry for this stranger that suddenly stepped into my life.
“No, I’ll make something. Todd do you want to stay for dinner?” I guess I should have probably asked my mom first but too late now.
“Sure. I’m home all by myself anyway, my parents went to Italy.”
“That’s cool. Mom why don’t you go change I’ll make pasta.”
“I’ll help.” Todd volunteered.
“No. No I can make something. Umm…” She said, a little fluttery.
“Mom, you burn water. I’ll make pasta, Todd ‘ll help.”
“That’s what I said.”
“Umm… Okay. If you really want to.” Please, I don’t want to have char grilled charcoal, that’s what we had the last time you came home early and made dinner. If I remember correctly, we didn’t say more than 30 words the whole night. Call me pessimistic, but I don’t think tonight is gunna go any better.
She went upstairs and I went to the kitchen. We had stainless steal everything, a flastscreen above the wine and marble countertops. My mom had a “re-decorating” phase after HE left. You see, she works for “Architecture Digest”; she goes all over the country writing articles about famous people’s homes. I think it’s a stupid job, but it keeps her out of the house almost all the time. That being said, our house looks like a mini “Architecture Digest”, believe me, she makes enough money to own half the stuff in those things.
No pasta. No cereal. No milk. Uh oh. The grocery fairy forgot to stop by our house.
“MOM!” I yelled up the stairs. She came down in jeans some fancy top and pumps; this was better than a suit?
“Yes?”
“You forgot to get the groceries.”
“Oh no! Oh no, oh no, oh no.” She ran to get her purse. “I’ll go got them right now. Order something. You know where the money is.” And she was gone.
“She just wanted an excuse to leave. Throw me the phone will ya?” I grabbed a menu from the “eat out” folder. “Chinese?” Todd shrugged. “Thanks for having such a strong opinion.” I smiled and dialed the number.
“I’m gunna go get my books from my house, I’ll be right back.” I nodded.
After I ordered I went upstairs and changed into a sweatshirt and old jeans, this is casual. Todd came back and we started working on homework. We ate our Chinese in the kitchen and watched Glee. Mom came home around 8 and Todd went home. I went straight to bed, just to avoid a conversation with that stranger who lives here.