New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

"Just Another Act"

Author's note: I hope that you understand it doesn't matter what you love to do. You should never stop doing it....  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I hope that you understand it doesn't matter what you love to do. You should never stop doing it. Especially if what's making you unsure is just you caring what everyone thinks. Don't be afraid to show people who you are and what you love.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

"Unheard"

Act VI:(Leona leaves home with her fiancé, Vincent and Prudence seek revenge, close curtains.)

Scene 7: (Open curtains, Leona tells Vincent and Prudence about her love.)

Vincent Turner:
(Storms in with a groan.) What is it?

Prudence Turner:
(Sighs) It’s Leona, dear. Apparently she has something very important to tell us. (Pause. Rolls her eyes.) Sit down.

Leona Turner:
(Looks down and speaks.) It’s true. Watson and I are in love, and we’re engaged to be married.

Vincent Turner:
(Stands up) We’ve arranged you to marry Collins! In love? ABSURD! Who do you think you are?

Leona Turner:
(Looks up and quietly says) Maybe you should list...

“Raellyn, dinner time!”
“Just a second Mom; I’m just finishing a scene.”
You would think by 17 I would have a little more freedom.
“Come on. You know better than anyone that writing is not going to get you anywhere. Especially in Utah,” she says.
Thanks, Mom. I love you too. I quietly walk down stairs, hiding my embarrassment. Breathing in the scent of burned food, I almost go back upstairs. My mom’s not a bad mom. Honestly, she just doesn’t know any better, and I’m not the girl that’s about to put her in line. You could say I’m shy, but more than that; I’m just not sure of myself.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Beep. ‘You have reached the maximum limit’.
I went to bed at around two in the morning last night. There were a lot of things going on in my mind, and I had to talk it out. Naturally, I called my two closest friends, Rachel and Jade. When they didn’t answer I left them a few voice mails dragging on and on. The lady would always cut me off before I finished talking. There’s no limit to my venting. That was how my night went after a horrible dinner with my unsporting Mom Dad and perfect brother. I had to complain.
I may have a few social issues right now, but at least the few friends I have care about me. They called me back the next day and laughed instead of thinking I’m an idiot.
I strongly dislike social websites. This whole Tweeting thing just pisses me off. Why would you sit there and waste your time telling everyone exactly what you’re doing? Sometimes I wish I weren’t in this generation. Don’t think just because we’re friends on Facebook that it makes us best friends. If you want to get to know me hang out with me in person, or at the very worst call me. Don’t check out my profile.
I’ve just decided to ignore all of that crap. It’s pointless to me. It might mean I won’t be so connected as others, but it’s easier to find real friends without it. As far as finding real parents, that can be a task.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

TashaB said...
Hey Everyone! I've written a book as well and it's a nail biter.... Everyone read it :) It's called HOW I FEEL by TashaB

renthead96 said...
Jul. 31, 2011 at 10:35 pm:
I enjoyed reading the first few chapters of this book because of the narrator. I like her character, and that's what's great about using first person: your character can really shine through because it's them that's telling the story. I do have to say, however, that in the beginning when she's writing the script, it's not exactly correct in terms of playwriting. This could have been on purpose by you because perhaps you meant for the character to write that way. But if not, if you were trying to... (more »)

Indiewriter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 1, 2011 at 6:07 pm :
Thanks for all the advice! What'd you mean when you said you enjoyed reading the first few chapters? Did you not like the rest of it? As far as the play, ya I didn't do any research on that because It wasn't a real important part of the story. It was just a way to introduce some things and end it. It didn't matter so much if it was actually a good play it just sort of tied in the story. But I deffinately could of done a better job on that part. This is the first story I've ever written. I just w... (more »)

renthead96 replied...
Aug. 1, 2011 at 9:55 pm :
By "the first few chapters" I mean that's all I've read so far. I haven't finished it yet. But it isn't bad at all, trust me! Especially for your first time writing a story. It was well written, I was just offering some constructive advice :) But keep on writing, you've got a lot of great ideas!